Wednesday, February 20, 2019

SOUL


Margaret Becker was born on July 17, 1959 in Bay Shore, New York. Early on she sang with the likes of Rick Cua and Steve Camp. Her debut solo album was 1987's NEVER FOR NOTHING (Sparrow). Fast forward to 1993 and she released her fifth album, SOUL (Sparrow). Charlie Peacock served as producer. In the liner notes, Becker writes: "There is a moment in time when the knowledge of love and the experience of love precariously meet to form one brilliant point of rest for the soul".

First up is 'Keep My Mind', one of four songs on this project solely penned by Margaret. Jerry McPherson plays guitar on this pop song that includes these words of confession: "Some steps my feet have taken in hot pursuit/Have led me to some places far away from You/But if I had my way/If it were up to me/I'd chain myself to You/And throw away, throw away the key". Chris Eaton sings backing vocals on 'This I Know', a pop song of celebration: "This I know, only this I know/That Your love never changes/As I go/Only this I know, only this I know/That Your love never changes/As I go".

'Say the Name' is one of four Becker/Peacock compositions. The Nashville String Machine is used on this adult contemporary ballad of determination: "With all the honor I can find/With all my heart, my soul, my mind/I will say the Name/Without defense, without shame/I will always speak the Name of Jesus". 'I Wouldn't Know' is a pop song that uses gang vocals and testifies: "Well, I hear You hum, I feel You breathe/I feel the same heart beating in You and me/I wouldn't know what love is (3X)/Without You, without You".

Margaret co-wrote 'This Flame' with Rick and Linda Elias. It's an adult contemporary ballad of spiritual devotion: "The greatest love I have ever found/Was like a treasure buried in a field of stones/Hidden there in the hardened ground/Was a gift more precious than gold/So I gave all I owned/Just to make it mine.../I will never leave Your side/And this flame will never die". 'The World I See in You' has a bit of a rock edge to it. I like these lyrics: "In Your world I've yet to see/A man too far, a mark too deep/A prodigal or refugee/That could not find shelter in You". Tommy Sims plays bass and Becker even raps a bit!

What follows is 'All That I Am', a quiet ballad singing God's praises: "Well, no one ever gave me/A love so sweet/That tips my heart to drink/When I'm fainting from the heat/That wraps my aching wounds in strips of mercy so tenderly/Is there anyone who can compare?" 'Soul Tattoo' is a groovy pop track about the durability of God's love: "It's like a soul tattoo, like a soul tattoo/Love like this'll never fade away/Like a soul tattoo/You can rub your fingers raw/But you can never get the mark to come off/You can hope it'll come to an end/But this love is forever and ever and ever/Amen".

Becker co-wrote 'Keeping Watch' with Christian rock legend Ed DeGarmo. It's a beautiful adult contemporary duet with Bob Carlisle. Many will relate to these thoughts: "Friends are all around me/There's laughter in my home/But still sometimes I feel so far away/Here inside of my heart/I'll always be alone/Until I finally touch Your gentle face". Closing things out is the adult pop song 'I Will Be With You'. It looks ahead to things to come: "When the sun goes black and the moon goes red/And all the final words have been said/I, I will be with You/When every dream is brought to life/And the hands of time roll back the night/Oh, I, I will be with You/I, I'm gonna be with You".

SOUL is a flawless album. There are six fast paced songs and four slower ones. Pop and adult contemporary are the main musical genres, but there are elements of dance and rock music mixed in. God's love for us is, without a doubt, the main theme on this record. He heals us and brings peace to us. We have the hope of heaven, but until then, we watch for Christ's return. We ought to live lives that are devoted and submitted to God. We can figuratively rest at His feet. There are some lovely photos of Margaret in the CD booklet. I'm rating SOUL 100% and recommending it to fans of Alannah Myles and Lisa Bevill. For more info visit www.margaretbecker.com and/or connect with her on social media.