Friday, April 19, 2019

LIFE SCREAMS


The singer, author, and speaker we now know as Lacey Sturm was born in Homestead, Florida and raised in Arlington, Texas. She sang lead vocals for Flyleaf on three full length albums they put out between 2005 and 2012. In 2016 she released her solo debut, LIFE SCREAMS (Followspot Records). It hit #1 on the US Top Hard Rock Albums Billboard chart and peaked at #74 on the Billboard 200. The album was produced by Evan Rodaniche, Lacey, and her husband Josh Sturm, while JW Clarke served as executive producer. The band on the album is: Lacey Sturm (vocals), Josh Sturm (guitar), Ben Hull (bass), Drew Rodaniche (drums), and Jordan Sarmiento (piano/keys).

Starting things off is 'Impossible', one of three co-writes with Skillet's Korey Cooper. This lead single was a #1 hit. It rocks and speaks of our true potential: "Every morning I see another miracle/I can't believe I'm living the impossible/We are the sign and we are the wonder/Another day of living the impossible/Impossible (2X)". 'The Soldier' beats down on Satan and rocks: "I'm gonna stand my ground/ Even if they back down/Cause I don't care what you say anymore/So what, you raise your voice/I'm screaming back my choice/Cause I sure ain't scared of you anymore!" 'I'm Not Laughing' kicks butt musically and speaks of a lady in an abusive relationship: "She doesn't know she's beautiful/Cause all she ever hears/Is your insecure loud mouth/Feeding off her fears/And all you know is that everyone is looking at her now/You shoot her with your mouth, your gun".

'Vanity' is less than two minutes. It's a spoken word dialogue between Lacey and Propaganda. It includes some strong allegations: "I want to believe what I heard somewhere a long time ago that love is free and kind.../But what you call love is destroying my life and it's destroying your soul if you ever had one/I don't even think you even know what it means to love or to be loved". 'Rot' is an emotional rock track that speaks out against drugs: "I need another fix tonight/Oh my God, save my soul/Beneath her glowing eyes that call like fire to a moth/The most disgusting lies are dressed in beauty that'll rot/Oh my God, You've won the coldest battle we've fought/Deliverance is mine, from more of this beauty that'll rot".

Next up is 'You're Not Alone', which speaks of God's care and concern for us: "His Love will never leave/Truth will not forsake/Eternal thoughts will keep your heart safe/No, Love will never leave/Truth will not forsake/Eternal thoughts will keep your heart safe/You're not alone (2X)". 'Feels Like Forever' is a rock ballad about an encounter with God: "I can't stop shaking as You come close/I want to run but I want You most/Is this what it means to die?/I hold my breath as I wait on You/Longing to follow Your every move/I've never been so alive".

The title track, 'Life Screams', follows. It's a co-write with David Hodges of Evanescence fame. It's another rock ballad. This one offers hope to the hopeless: "Life sings out, calling you by name/Life screams out that all of this will change/Your lungs are only flesh and everything that dies will fade away/Life calls for her lover/You will live forever". 'Faith' is a relationship song: "Will you always chase me like this?/Will time and space leave when we kiss goodbye?"

A live cover of 'Roxanne' is next. It was penned by Sting and released by The Police back in 1978. On Lacey's take, Joel Armstrong plays drums. The song is addressed to a prostitute: "Roxanne/You don't have to put on the red light/Walk the streets for money/You don't care if it's wrong or if it's right/Roxanne/You don't have to wear that dress tonight/Those days are over/You don't have to sell your body to the night". Lacey screams a fair bit on this one. It's an interesting cover. Last up is 'Run to You', a great ballad that finds God addressing a prodigal: "I've always believed in you/You used to believe in Me too/Remember the day that you turned away/It killed Me to lose you.../But call out My Name, I'll run to you".

LIFE SCREAMS is a great rock record! Lacey delivers her messages with emotion and passion. She speaks out against the abuse of women (including prostitution), and she warns of the dangers of doing drugs. She celebrates God's goodness, love, faithfulness, and the hope He gives. We are encouraged to be who we were created to be and to claim our victory over the devil. I hope Lacey does another rock record down the line. I'm rating this one 93%. For more info visit www.laceysturm.com and/or connect with her on social media. This is a good outreach album.