Saturday, December 21, 2019

TESTIFY


Larry Worley is best known as a member of the bands Love Life and Fear Not. For some ten years he'd wanted to release a praise and worship record, and now he finally has, along with the help of some friends. TESTIFY (2019, Roxx Records) was produced by Kyle Simpson and executive produced by Bill Bafford.

Phil Wickham, Joshua Farro, and Jeremy Riddle wrote the album opening 'This is Amazing Grace'. It's an upbeat, modern worship song of testimony: "Who breaks the power of sin and darkness?/Who's love is mighty and so much stronger?/The King of glory/The King above all kings.../This is amazing grace/This is unfailing love/That You would take my place/That You would bear my cross". 'O Come to the Altar' is a ballad of spiritual invitation: "O come to the altar/The Father's arms are open wide/Forgiveness was bought with/The precious blood of Jesus Christ".

'The Way' is a pretty ballad of great faith: "Through every battle/Through every heartbreak/Through every circumstance/I believe You are my fortress/You are my portion/You are my hiding place/I believe You are the way, the truth, the life". Beth and Matt Redman wrote the classic 'Let My Words Be Few'. It includes this heart cry: "The simplest of all love songs/I want to bring to You/So I'll let my words be few/And, Jesus I am so in love with You".

Mercy Me had a hit with 'Bring the Rain'. It's an adult contemporary song of spiritual maturity: "I know there'll be days/When this life brings me pain/But if that's what it takes to praise You/Jesus, bring the rain". Brooke Fraser penned 'Lead Me to the Cross'. It's a beautiful ballad with some nice electric guitar work. It's about spiritual surrender: "Lead me to the cross where Your love poured out/Bring me to my knees/Lord, I lay me down/Rid me of myself/I belong to You/Oh lead me, lead me to the cross".

Next up is 'Stand in Your Love'. It includes this great declaration: "My fear doesn't stand a chance/When I stand in Your love!" Benji Cowart and Mike Weaver penned 'Redeemed'. It includes these wonderful words: "All my life I have been called unworthy/Named by the voice of my shame and regret/But when I hear You whisper/'Child lift up your head'/I remember, oh God/You're not done with me yet".

'The More I Seek You' finds Christine Clark taking the lead on vocals. Here are some of the lyrics from this ballad: "The more I seek You/The more I find You/The more I find You/The more I love You". Last up is Billy James Foote's 'Amazing Love'. It's a song of wonder: "Amazing love, how can it be that You my King would die for me?/Amazing love/I know it's true/And it's my joy to honor You/In all I do, I honor You".

With TESTIFY, Larry Worley has put out a quiet, reverent album perfect for one's alone time with God. God is seen as loving, gracious, and forgiving. He wants an intimate, personal relationship with each one of us. It doesn't matter where we are in life or what we've done. Christ offers us a brand new start and He can help us weather the storms of life. Larry's vocals are top notch on this project, which I'm rating 95%. I do hope in the future he does a rocking praise and worship project. I know he could pull it off. For more info visit www.roxxproductions.com.