Tuesday, November 05, 2019

BUZZ


Guardian released their debut album FIRST WATCH back in 1989. Fast forward to 1995 and they put out their fifth studio album, BUZZ (Myrrh). It was produced by the legendary and quirky Steve Taylor. Group members at the time were: Jamie Rowe (lead vocals), Tony Palacios (guitar and vocals), David Bach (bass and vocals), and Karl Ney (drums and vocals). The CD booklet comes with four interchangeable front covers, all having something to do with the word 'buzz'.

The album starts with 'This Old Man', a pulsating rocker about a spiritual struggle: "This old man/He plays seek and destroy/He comes robbing my joy/He's here spreading the rot/Old man, don't you get it?/What I've got's as good as gold/Good as gold/Better than gold". 'Lead the Way' has some sizzling electric guitar work. It calls out to Christ: "Up we struggle, down we slide/Scared to call on a bigger guide/I'm tired of getting snowed, speed the plow/Lead the way, Lord Jesus, I'm ready now".

'State of Mine' is a rock ballad about depression: "Psalmist with a blues harp/Knew all about the darkest blues/He said his soul was downcast/Lord, I feel the same way too/Won't You tell me why I feel this way, this way?" 'The Lion's Den' is a manly rock song about courage: "Every age at every stage/Lions rage/Pray, stand your ground/They'll lie down.../God wrote the book, He'll fortify/And like the eagles we will fly/We're gonna fly".

'Are You Gonna Keep Your Word?' is a ballad about marriage: "And as we watch our children sleep/I take her hand/I feel her ring/I have been faithful but I know my heart is not above deceit". 'One Thing Left to Do' includes a good electric guitar solo and calls out to non-believers: "God's still calling/You're still stalling/Dead from dry rot/Soul sleep, blood clot/Face it/You've got one thing left to do/Appointed in this life/A single choice for every man/It's time to choose".

Next up is 'Hand of the Father'. It's a slower song offering spiritual direction: "Take the hand of the Father/As He leads you to the land of no tomorrow/Take the hand of the Father/As He leads you to the land/Of no more sorrows". 'Psychedelic Runaway' has a cool groove to it and offers a commentary on seekers: "Reaching up too high, we fell away/Reaching for a sun ray/It happened in the sixties/It happens today/Psychedelic runaway".

'Even it Out' includes these mysterious lyrics: "Silver tongues in God's house/Green the plate/Clean up/Too late/Sugar kingdoms will melt away on judgment day". 'Lift Me Up' is a pop/rock song of one calling out to God: "Can You forgive me?/Just a touch of Your hand/And I'll know that Your love is true/I surrender all I've kept from You/Lord, I'll do anything to be with You".

'Shorty' is a fun pop/rock tune that tells a story: "Shorty likes to play guitar/Shorty likes to drive his car/But Shorty knows/You can't take it when you go.../Shorty knows about true love/Shorty's saved by Jesus' blood/Shorty ain't afraid to let you know". 'Lullaby' is a soothing, quiet number: "Hush/Baby don't you cry/And I will sing a lullaby". Last up is 'Them Nails', a rocker that speaks out against works righteousness: "Why do I keep payin'/On a debt that's already been paid?/Oh, I've got it made/I keep drivin' them nails/Drivin' them nails right into You".

BUZZ is a fun rock album, with some pop influences, to listen to. Jamie Rowe's vocals are well suited to this material. A key theme on the album is the struggle we all face when it comes to choosing whether to do God's will or to do our own. Satan will do anything he can to keep us from finding salvation in Jesus Christ and living a victorious life in Him. Other topics on BUZZ include depression, marital faithfulness, and heaven. I'm rating this one 87%. For more info connect with the band and its members on Facebook.