Saturday, November 02, 2019

THE GREAT AWAKENING


The Christian band Leeland formed in 2004. They released their debut album SOUND OF MELODIES in 2006. It received a Grammy nomination and two Dove nominations. In 2011 they released their fourth studio album, THE GREAT AWAKENING (Essential Records) which I am reviewing here. It was produced by Paul Moak, executive produced by Jason McArthur, and got a Grammy nomination for 'Best Contemporary Christian Album'.

Leading things off is the pretty adult contemporary title track 'The Great Awakening'. It speaks of revival: "Many awake will cause such a fuss/It finally awakens all of us/One man awakes with dawn in his eyes/Surely then it multiplies (2X)". 'All Over the Earth' is the album's longest song at over eight and a half minutes. It's a great modern worship song: "Oh, we give You praises/For You alone are holy/Jesus, Your Name is greater/For You alone are holy/We want to see Your victory/All over the earth (2X)". I could hear Delirious? recording it. 'Chains Hit the Ground' begins with these words of testimony: "I'm holding on to You/It's all I know to do/When fear has had me bound/When enemies surround/There's freedom in this truth/My salvation is in You/And I remember the nails that You took for me".

'I Can See Your Love' is a pop song containing these lyrics I like: "I see Your kingdom in the middle of hunger and pain/I feel You in the hands of the poor/I hear You in the song of the weak/There is no place too far that You can't reach". 'I Wonder' quietly reflects on Calvary: "Jesus Christ/You bled Your love/Laid down Yourself/And gave me life/In naked shame You hung and You were lifted high/Here I lay in awe and wonder".

Next up is 'Pages', a pop song that includes these words asking God for spiritual transformation: "In Your presence I belong/And without You I am lost/Come and change me from the inside/In my weakness You are strong/By the power of the cross/Come and change me from the inside". 'Not Afraid Anymore' is a cool, energetic, experimental rock cut. It speaks of having spiritual confidence: "I'm not afraid anymore/Cause I am running with Your fire, Lord/I'm picking up my sword/You train my hands and my fingers for war/I'm not afraid anymore".

'I Cry' is an adult contemporary ballad with transparent lyrics: "Fear is far from love/And I feel scared enough to think You've given up on me/But I can't hide my shame/You know my deepest pain/You are well acquainted with my grief/Oh, great God of power/I have lost my strength/This is my desperate hour/I'm calling out Your Name". The rock song 'Holy Ghost' follows. I like these words of assurance: "I will never be forsaken/No, I will never be forsaken/No matter where I go/I'm lost in the flow/No matter where I go, Lord/I'm lost in Your flow/Holy Ghost".

'While We Sing' is a quiet song of reflection and conviction: "We are frozen, we are still/For the call to be a city on a hill/And as our melodies resound/We cannot hear the silent cry this world is screaming out/And we wonder why we feel so empty inside". Ironically, 'Unending Songs' closes out the album. It relates spiritual intimacy: "One true God/You met me in my nakedness and covered me with love/My brokenness I lay before Your righteousness/In glory I am renewed, loved by You/Holy Father".

Really, THE GREAT AWAKENING, is a flawless album! Essentially, it's a mix of modern worship, pop, rock, and adult contemporary music, so the listener will not easily become bored. Leeland's voice is easy to listen to and the backing vocals are a great strength on this project. These songs express wonder and gratitude over the fact that God loves us so much individually that He sent His Son to earth to die on a cross for our sins. The lyrics are very down to earth and don't include lots of big theological terms. It's clear that Leeland Mooring and the band love God and desire to honour Him with all they've got. These tunes will draw you into God's presence. I'm rating this album a perfect 100%. For more info visit www.leelandonline.com or connect with them on Facebook.