Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A WARM KISS FROM CARLY RAE


Carly Rae Jepsen was born on November 21, 1985 in Mission, British Columbia.  In 2007 she placed third on Season Five of Canadian Idol.  The next year her debut album TUG OF WAR dropped.  In February 2012 she released her EP entitled CURIOSITY.  It included her smash hit ‘Call Me Maybe’ which helped her get discovered by Justin Bieber.  Her full length international debut is KISS (2012, 604 Records Inc.).  Jepsen co-wrote ten of its twelve tracks.  As of February 2013 it has sold 226, 000 copies.

‘Tiny Little Bows’ has good thumping bass and finds Carly smitten: “How do you think it goes/With those tiny little bows?/You’re the one I want/You’re the one I know/And everywhere you are/Is a place I wanna go/Dancing really high/Dancing really slow.”  ‘This Kiss’ is electronically inspired.  Fans of Crumbacher should enjoy it.  This song speaks to the fact that even though one may be in a committed relationship, he/she can be attracted to other individuals: “You know you’re just my type/And your eyes are lock and key/To my heart/Tempting my confession (my confession)/And you’re a real hot thing/But you know I’ve got a boy/Somewhere/So can you feel the tension? (feel the tension)”

‘Call Me Maybe’ written by Carly, Josh Ramsay (Marianna’s Trench), and Tavish Crowe, is, as you know, highly contagious.  It deals with puppy love: “Your stare was holdin’/Ripped jeans/Skin was showin’/Hot night/Wind was blowin’/Where you think you’re going baby?/Hey, I just met you/And this is crazy/But here’s my number/So call me maybe/It’s hard to look right/At you baby/But here’s my number/So call me maybe.”  ‘Curiosity’ finds Carly helplessly drawn to a guy who could end up hurting her: “So don’t break me tonight/This is crazy love/And you know/I’m gonna follow you home/Through the rain/Cause I need your love…/So don’t break (don’t break) me tonight/This is crazy love/And you know/I’m gonna follow you home/Through the rain/Cause I need your love/Yes, I need your love.”

‘Good Time’ is a good song to party to with your friends.  This duet with Owl City was penned by Adam Young, Matthew Thiessen (Relient K), and Brian Lee.  It includes vocal support by the Minneapolis Youth Chorus.  Here are some of the words: “Doesn’t matter when/It’s always a good time then/Doesn’t matter where/It’s always a good time there/Doesn’t matter when/It’s always a good time then/It’s always a good time/Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh/Whoa-oh-oh/It’s always a good time/Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh/We don’t even have to try/It’s always a good time.”  ‘More than a Memory’ flows smoothly.  It includes words of regret and has Carly wondering about her future with a certain fellow she holds dear: “If I was cruel to you/Well just to hear it breaks my heart in two/If there’s a way to make it up to you/I wanna change so much, you know I do/And you know that night I almost said I loved you/You almost said it back/Are we gonna be more than a memory?/No matter how lame my apology/I let go of you/You let go of me/Are we gonna be more than a memory?”

‘Turn Me Up’ is dance floor ready musically and chronicles the end of a love relationship: “I’m breakin’ up with you/You’re breakin’ up on me/You kiss me on the phone/And I don’t think it reaches/What am I to do?/And how’s it gonna be?/Cause breakin’ us in two/Is breakin’ me in pieces.”  ‘Hurt So Good’ is a great pop song that has Carly pining over a boy: “I don’t ever want to let you go/We could take it fast or make it slow/I’m afraid that you misunderstood/Every day is just a wish I could/Oh, why you gotta make it hurt so good, so good?.../Imagine you, imagine me/Together so, how lovely/Imagine me, imagine you/Inside a dream, how good for two.”

Next up is a mellow track called ‘Beautiful’ which is a duet with superstar artist Justin Bieber.   The lyrics display a vulnerability: “I know, I know it’s been a while/I wonder where you are, and if you think of me/Sometimes, ‘cause you’re always on my mind/You know I had it rough, trying to forget you but/The more that I look around, the more I realize/You’re all I’m looking for.”  The newest single ‘Tonight I’m Getting Over You’ starts slow and builds.  It finds Carly trying to move on once a love relationship ends: “Stuck in a real bad dream/And man it feels so new to me/Should be in your arms but I’m beggin’ at your feet/It’s been a real hard night/And I just hold my pillow tight/It won’t love me back/No, it’s not you and I/We’re not lovers/But more than friends/Put a flame to every single word you ever said/No more cryin’ (no more cryin’) to get me through (to get me through)/I’ll keep dancin’ till the mornin’ with somebody new/Tonight I’m getting over you.”

‘Guitar String/Wedding Ring’ is an upbeat gem.  A lot of young ladies will be able to relate to the devotion expressed in this song: “If you cut a piece of guitar string/I would wear it/This is the real thing/Wrapped around my finger/You know what I mean/You play my heartstrings/When you’re near/I feel the best/I’m somebody, somebody/It’s in my pulse/It’s in my chest/My whole body, whole body/So if you want me/I’ll be around.”  ‘Your Heart is a Muscle’ is a good closing ballad.  It has Carly urging her partner to work harder at preserving their relationship: “You say love’s a fragile thing/Made of glass, but I think/Your heart is a muscle (2X)/You gotta work it out, make it stronger/Try for me just a little longer/Your heart is a muscle (2X).”

Carly Rae has said that in making this album she was inspired by Robyn, The Cars, Madonna, and even James Taylor.  She has five Juno nominations this year, leading the pack!  For the most part KISS is a fun, energetic, innocent collection of pop/dance songs suitable for slumber and pool parties, as well as amusement parks.  The pictures included with the CD show Carly to be cute and pretty.  In the CD booklet she writes: “Thank you to everyone listening.  You make my life a dream.  A really good one.”  I recommend KISS to fans of Hilary Duff, Miley Cyrus, and the Mini Pops.  I’m rating it 87%.  For more info visit www.carlyraemusic.com.