Thursday, May 03, 2018

THE MESSAGE



Andy Chrisman, Mark Harris, Marty Magehee, and Kirk Sullivan met while they were in the CCM group Truth.  As 4HIM they released their self-titled debut in 1990.  Over the next few years they became known for such songs as: 'Where there is Faith', 'A Man You Would Write About', 'The Basics of Life', and 'A Strange Way to Save the World'.  Their sixth studio album was THE MESSAGE (1996, Benson).  In the liner notes you will find the following: "The mission of 4HIM is to edify the church, evangelize the lost and strive for excellence in music".

1. Mark Harris, Brent Bourgeois, and Chris Eaton wrote the album opener 'Lay it All on the Line'.  Glenn Pearce plays electric guitars and Bruce Gaitsch plays acoustic guitars on this pop song about giving all to Christ: "So don't go wastin' your time/Holding on to your life/Just lay it all on the line/Gotta make up your mind/There can be no more compromise/Just lay it all on the line/It's a matter of surrendering every hidden fear/And by letting go of everything/Jesus will meet You there".

2. Mark Harris, Don Koch, and Stephanie Lewis wrote 'The Measure of a Man', while Phil Madeira plays B-3 on it.  It's an adult contemporary song about what truly makes one a man: "Oh, I say the measure of a man is not how tall you stand/How wealthy or intelligent you are/'Cause I've found out the measure of a man/God knows and understands/For He looks inside to the bottom of your heart/And what's in the heart defines/The measure of a man".

3. 'Land of Mercy' is a great, energetic pop song about our redemption: "I've discovered there's nothing left to judge/Forgiveness is the final word/Cause everywhere I turn I see compassion but I'm learning/I'm just a fallen man/In the land of mercy/Love is free to grow where heaven's healing waters flow/Though I may not understand/I'm living in the land of mercy".

4. Mark Harris, Don Koch, and Michael Omartian wrote the title track, 'The Message'.  Michael plays keyboards, Tommy Simms plays bass, Chris McHugh plays drums, and Bob Mason plays cello on this adult contemporary anthem about reaching the lost: "To live a love that never fails/To love my neighbor as myself/And to give 'til there is nothing left to give/To live a faith that never dies/To be crucified with Christ/Until all that lives through me is the message/If we all will work together/We can make this world a better place to live/We can make a difference if we try".

5. 'The King and I' speaks of intimacy with God: "The sun is rising and once again the morning finds me on my knees/On the day's horizon I have got an invitation to see the King/Far away from the worries that weigh me down/I am taken to holy ground/To the place where mercy and love abounds/There in the midst of His throne/I know in my heart this is where I belong".

6. 'The Center of the Mark' is an easy listening ballad that reminds us love is a verb, requiring action: "Draw back your bow, let love go/Shoot straight for the heart/With all of your might, set your sight/Take aim from the start/To love God and love people/That's the center of the mark".

7. Mark Harris, Dave Clark, and Don Koch wrote 'Window With a View' on which Jackie Street plays bass and Dann Huff, George Cocchini, and Jerry McPherson play guitars.  This catchy pop song reminds us God is always with us: "Through Your window with a view/Straight into my soul/Nothing in creation is hidden from Your window with a view/How else could You know what we're going through?/There is no mystery to You/You've got a window/A window with a view".

8. 'All the Evidence I Need' includes these words of comfort: "I know Your love reaches out to me/In my weakest of days/For I've felt Your touch in my heart of hearts/Though I've never even seen Your face".

9. Marty Magehee wrote 'Sacred Hideaway'.  It's an experimental sounding pop song about intimacy with God: "I have found a secret place/Where I can go to hide away/Safe inside this hallowed space/I am concealed by saving grace/Forever in this sacred hideaway".

10. Next up is 'A Lot Like You' which was written by Mark Harris, Keith Dudley, and Michael Omartian.  It's a memorable pop song of reflection: "We're living in this world/But are we making a difference?/Maybe the salt in us is out of season/They look into our eyes/I wonder what are they seeing/Has Jesus been disguised by our religion?/We say He's already come/And that He's livin' in us/But can He really be found in our lives today?"

11. Last up is 'Greatest Story Ever Told'.  Keyboards and arranging are by Bill Baumgart, while Craig Duncan plays the hammered dulcimer and mandolin.  This one is an adult contemporary ballad that reflects on the Bible: "For thousands of years/This pearl of great wisdom/Has weathered through changes/And lasted through years/Many a doubter has risen and fallen/But the story has never once abandoned its course/For the Author still speaks to the listening ones/Through the voices of men and through the pages/The pages of love".

A common theme on THE MESSAGE is that of being in an intimate, personal relationship with God. He talks to us and we talk to Him. We truly hear each other.  4HIM stresses the importance of loving and being devoted to God.  They also sing about God's love and mercy toward us. Without either, we would be lost and doomed.  Listeners are reminded that God looks at our character. That is of utmost importance to Him.  Also, He desires that we don't hide Him under a bushel, but that we spread His love around the world and share the Gospel message with those who need to hear it. The vocals on this album are great! If you love pop and adult contemporary music in the vein of Backstreet Boys and Point of Grace you'll love this album which I'm rating a perfect score of 100%.  For more info connect with the group members on facebook.