Wednesday, September 05, 2018

OUR HYMNS


In 1989 Word Records released the multi-artist project OUR HYMNS. It was executive produced by Loren Balman and Michael Blanton.

1. First up is a laid back version of 'Holy, Holy, Holy'. Michael W. Smith gives a nice vocal here. The Christ Church Choir and Donna McElroy are among the other singers on this essentially praise and worship classic: "Holy, holy, holy!/Lord God Almighty!/Early in the morning my song shall rise to Thee/Holy, holy, holy!/Merciful and mighty!/God in three Persons, blessed Trinity".

2. Amy Grant sings "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus', while Gary Chapman plays bass. Dulcimer and accordion are two of the other instruments used on this rootsy, Americana song about having faith: "'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus/Just to take Him at His word/Just to rest upon His promise/Just to know/'Thus saith the Lord'.../I'm so glad I learned to trust Thee/Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend/And I know that Thou art with me/Wilt be with me to the end".

3. Bruce Carroll presents 'More Love to Thee' in an easy listening manner. It's a quiet, reverent song: "More love to Thee/More love to Thee!/Hear Thou the prayer I make on bended knee/This is my earnest plea/More love, O Christ to Thee/More love to Thee/More love to Thee!"

4. Christian dance queen Kim Boyce brings a slow R&B groove to 'I Must Tell Jesus'. It features Kirk Whalum on sax and Alphie Silas and Jean McRath on backing vocals. It's sung from the standpoint of one with an intimate relationship with Christ: "I must tell Jesus all of my troubles/He's a kind, compassionate friend/If I but ask Him, He will deliver/Make of my troubles quickly an end/O how the world to evil allures me!/O how my heart is tempted to sin!/I must tell Jesus, and He will help me/Over the world-victory to win".

5. Russ Taff delivers a soulful version of 'Near the Cross' which will lift your spirits. Julie Miller is a guest vocalist. Again, this song speaks of a personal relationship with Christ: "Jesus, keep me, keep me near the cross/For there is a precious, precious fountain/O it's free, free to all, a healing, cleansing stream/And it flows from Calv'ry's, Calv'ry's mountain/Always near, keep me Jesus/Let it, let it be my glory ever/Till my raptured soul, soul shall find/Rest, rest beyond the river".

6. Next up is a gem from Phil Keaggy. It's called 'Prelude: Bach's Bourree/O God, Our Help in Ages Past'. Smitty Price plays keyboards and Phil as usual is great on guitar. This track begins as a soothing instrumental and transitions into a light adult pop number. It includes these prayerful lyrics: "O God, our help in ages past/Our hope for years to come/Be Thou our guard while life shall last/And our eternal home/Our home (4X)/O God, lead us, guide us, we pray".

7. First Call presents 'O Sacred Head, Now Wounded'. It reflects on Calvary: "O sacred Head, now wounded/With grief and shame weighed down/Now scornfully surrounded/With thorns Thine only crown/How pale Thou art with anguish/With sore abuse and scorn/How does that visage languish/Which once was bright as morn!/What Thou, my Lord, hast suffered/Was all for sinners' gain/O mine was the transgression/But Thine the deadly pain". Tommy Sims plays bass.

8. Wayne Watson presents a great adult contemporary version of 'It is Well with My Soul'. These words anticipate heaven: "O then Lord, hurry the day when the faith shall be sight/The clouds be rolled back as a scroll/The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend/Even so, it is well with my soul".

9. Take 6 put their cool acappella spin on 'The Savior is Waiting', a song of spiritual invitation: "The Savior is waiting to enter your heart/Why don't you let Him in? (2X)/There's nothing in this world to keep you apart/Why won't you answer Him? (2X)/Time after time He has waited before/And now He is waiting again/To see if you're willing to open the door/O how He wants to come in/If you'll take one look at the Savior, my friend/You'll find His arms open wide (2X)".

10. Last up is a rock battle cry from Petra, 'Onward, Christian Soldiers', which begins with these words: "Onward, Christian soldiers/Marching as to war/With the cross of Jesus/Going on before!/Onward, then, ye people/Join our happy throng/Blend with us your voices/In our triumph song". John Elefante and Dave Amado are on background vocals.

OUR HYMNS was a kind of who's who of Contemporary Christian musicians at the time. It was a forerunner to many multi-artist projects that would follow, such as the CITY ON A HILL series. On OUR HYMNS there are seven slower songs and three faster paced ones. Adult contemporary and easy listening are the main musical styles, but we are given samples of Americana, R&B, acapella, and rock music as well.  Loving and trusting Jesus Christ and a gratitude for His sacrifice at Calvary are main themes. God's love for us and His holiness are made clear here. This is a pretty decent praise and worship record. I'm rating it 90%. For more info visit the artists' official web pages or connect with them on facebook/twitter.