Saturday, December 29, 2018

MY FREEDOM



Lisa Bevill was born on June 24, 1968 in North Carolina. In 1992 she released her debut album MY FREEDOM (Vireo Records). It was produced by Mark Heimermann and Chris Harris. Brown Bannister served as executive producer. Songwriters on the album include Toby McKeehan, Wayne Kirkpatrick, and Carolyn Arends. In the liner notes, Lisa writes: "Eternal Thanks to God for breaking my will and blessing me with everything I've always dreamed of. By giving everything to You, I've found my freedom".

Starting things off is 'Chaperone', an upbeat pop/dance track featuring the rap stylings of who we now know as TobyMac. These lyrics call on God during a time of temptation: "Friday night, the party is groovin'/The pressure's up and morality's down/Way down/He told me if I didn't do it/I'd never hang with the popular crowd/Oh, You always hear me/Oh, I need You near me, Lord". 'It's Gonna Be Worth It' is also pop/dance and encourages abstinence: "He's promising this if you'll give him that/But keep your innocence/Cause you can't get it back, oh, no/Don't hurry love, don't settle for less/Hold out for the love of the one who knows best/Cause your Father knows what's best". George Cocchini provides some great electric guitar work.

'Falling Off the Face of the Earth' has a slow groove to it and is the song of one friend to another: "Don't let go/There's a big black hole below/I don't want to see you disappear/You've got to hold on, there's nothing to fear/So climb up to the top/I will lift you up, put you back on your feet/Out of the abyss/I'll greet you with a kiss, wrap my arms around you". 'Love Oughta Be' is a pretty adult contemporary ballad on which Lisa shares her definition of love: "Love oughta be forever/Yes, love oughta be/Deep as the night and true/Love oughta be a river/That flows to the sea/Yes, love oughta be/Like love is with you/Willing to forgive and willing to sacrifice/No greater love than this/To be willing to give your life".

Next up is the title track, 'My Freedom'. It's a strong pop ballad of personal testimony: "I was a self-made girl/But I was a slave to my world/With my liberating view/But I never knew/My freedom, my freedom/Giving everything to You is where I find/My freedom, my freedom/Now I have a heart that has a peace of mind". 'Place in the Sun' is a peppy pop/dance track of spiritual invitation: "You don't have to exist in the night anymore/Love is shining so bright/Outside of your door/Open your door, yeah/Come as you are, never far/From your heart/Love's warm embrace awaits/And you have a place in the sun". It was a #1 hit for Lisa!

'Second Chance' is an R&B ballad that offers relationship advice: "What he wants is a little freedom/What she wants, ooh, is a little romance/What they need is to talk it over/And let their love have a second chance". It would've been a nice fit on mainstream radio. 'Alone in Love' finds Lisa placing her trust in God: "The morning sun reminds me every day is new/Sweet love I have in You/And though I cannot see the shape of things to come/You know each way the river runs/I will follow the Keeper of my dreams/Through each tomorrow, we'll be together".

What follows is the pop/dance number, 'I Took A Tumble'. It warns against pride: "On top of the world I created for myself/My ego loved the exposure/Well, when you're king of the hill/There's no room for someone else/That's when your party is over/Eating crow's no tasty treat/Humble pie is never sweet/Time for me to take my seat/Somebody pulled the rug out from under my feet/Well, I took a tumble, flat on my face/It made me humble, put me back in my place". Last up is 'Shirley (Keep it to Yourself)'. It's a quirky song that speaks out against gossip: "Don't you know that idle talk is cheap/There are things you never should repeat, repeat/If it's confidential/Don't abuse your freedom of speech/Keep it to yourself".

The main musical genres on MY FREEDOM are pop/dance (with touches of R&B) and adult contemporary. There are five fast songs and five slower songs. Lisa's vocals are great! What I like the most about this record is that it deals with everyday life topical issues (premarital sex, pride, gossip, friendship). We need more of that in today's worship flooded CCM market. Lisa also sings of finding one's true identity in God and about what loving one another should look like. I'm rating MY FREEDOM 98%. For more info visit www.lisabevill.com and/or connect with her on Facebook. Fans of Natalie Grant and early era Cindy Morgan should like this album.