Wednesday, February 13, 2019

SAYING GRACE


Geoff Moore was born on February 22, 1961 in Flint, Michigan. He released three solo albums between 1984 and 1987, with the first being WHERE ARE THE OTHER NINE? From 1988 to 1997 he released several pop/rock albums with his band The Distance. Some of my fave songs from that era include 'The Vow', 'Life Together', 'Good to Be Alive', and 'Evolution...Redefined'. In 1999 he returned to solo records. In 2011 he put out SAYING GRACE (Simpleville Records). In the liner notes Geoff writes: "The life and breath of these songs come from my friends and family and the roads we have walked together and the things we have seen. Many too beautiful or too painful to ever forget".

'I Believe' is a great adult contemporary song of personal testimony: "I believe in the way that You have set me free/I believe in the truth of all You've said to me/I believe in the life that You have given me/I believe (6X)/Alleluia to our King!" The title track, 'Saying Grace', was written by Geoff, Alli Rogers, and Don Chaffer. Also adult contemporary, it reflects on the Last Supper: "They were all together for the very last time/The bread would soon be broken/Then the spilling of the wine/This is my life, I'm pouring out for you/So always remember in everything you do/To open your mouth and say/God is good and God is great!" The female backing vocals here are nice.

'Loved' is a great adult pop song of spiritual encouragement: "On your best day, on your worst day/Every second that you're breathing you are loved, loved/You can rise up, you can fall down/And it never changes how much you are loved, loved/What if you woke up tomorrow and believed His grace was true/That forgiveness is for everyone/Even for you?" Next up is 'The Story of Love', a quiet song of reflection: "I've been thinkin' about my story/The places I come from/Been thinkin' about the mercy/That's shaped what I've become/Been thinkin' about my children/I pray I'm passin' on/The story of love that runs through everything".

'Overwhelming Love' was penned by Geoff, Jason Walker, and Jeff Pardo. It's a modern worship number: "If we could see just one glimpse of who You are/Then we would be undone/By Your astounding, by Your amazing/By Your relentless, overwhelming love". It's a definite highlight! Geoff and Andy Gullahorn wrote 'The Body of Christ', a lovely song: "It's the feet that will carry the prodigal home/The tongue that refrains from recounting the wrong/The arms that will hold you till all shame is gone/This is the body of Christ/We are so many parts/But together we move/Doesn't that fearfully, wonderfully prove/We need each other?"

'Find Me in the Fields' is an adult contemporary song exalting God: "Find me in the fields/Holding nothing back/Find me with praises on my mind and dirt on my hands/And the day the whole earth sees Your glory and kneels/Won't You find me/Find me in the fields?" What follows is 'The Long Way', a pop/rock track that includes these thought provoking lyrics: "Some say it's foolishness to wander/Some say it's weak to wonder why/But I've discovered when I'm honest/That's when my faith is most alive".

'The Wonder of Kindness' is a tender song about God's goodness: "In all my questions, in all my pain/I have pushed and kicked/Against all of these things I can't explain/But my defenses crumble and fall/At the kindness You have woven through it all". Last up is the beautiful ballad 'I Was Made to Love You' which Geoff dedicates to his wife Jan and their adopted Chinese girls. This is the chorus: "I was made to love you/I know this for sure/And as surely as I love you/I know that this is what I was created for".

SAYING GRACE contains six adult contemporary ballads and four more upbeat numbers. Geoff's voice is seasoned and mature. Sonically, this record puts me in mind of Rich Mullins and what he may have put out circa 2011 if he had still been alive. On this record Geoff praises God for many things including the cross and salvation, love, goodness, mercy, creation, and kindness. Geoff's love for his family comes through very clearly. He encourages believers to trust God even in the hard times and to work together as Christ's body. I'm recommending this album to those thirty and over and rating it a 95%. For more info visit www.geoffmoore and/or connect with him on social media.