Wednesday, September 20, 2017

STILL HAPPY



Goodman Revival is: Michael Sykes, Tanya Goodman Sykes, and Johnny Minick.  They are carrying on the musical legacy of The Happy Goodman family who are legends in Southern Gospel music.  Goodman Revival’s first recording was 2014’s SONGS IN THE KEY OF HAPPY.  Here, I will be reviewing their second album, STILL HAPPY (2017, Gaither Music Group).

First up is the toe-tapping ‘When they Ring the Bells of Heaven’.  It offers something grand for believers to look forward to: “He’ll be there to welcome all the ransomed and free/When they ring the bells of Heaven on that day/Oh, when they ring the bells of heaven/Ring the bells of glory/When redeemed are gathered on that day/Oh, the hallelujah morning/Everybody singing, shouting/What a happy meeting/When they ring the bells of Heaven on that day”.  Isaiah G. Martin’s classic ballad of hope ‘The Eastern Gate’ is next: “If you hasten off to glory/Just linger near the Eastern Gate/For I’m coming in the morning/And you’ll not have long to wait/I will meet you in the morning (2X)/Just inside the Eastern Gate over there.”  Tanya’s Dad Rusty Goodman wrote ‘Had it Not Been’, a great Easter song: “Had it not been for a place called Mount Calvary/Had it not been for the old rugged cross/Had it not been for a man called Jesus/Then forever my soul would be lost”.

Aaron Wilburn and Phil Johnson wrote ‘The Word is Mercy’, an easy listening ballad about ultimate healing: “If you could just imagine a bird without a song/Fallen to the barren earth, wounded, left alone/And then with just a motion of the kind and loving hand/The broken wing is mended, the song restored again/The word is mercy (2X)/Nothing else describes what He did for me/On a hill called Calvary/He cast in the sea all I used to be/The word is mercy”.  ‘There’s Been A Lot of Changes’ offers testimony and is upbeat Southern Gospel: “Well, this old house was filled with sin from ceiling to the floor/And Satan had me wrecked within till I could stand no more/But the great Repairman from above, He knew just what to do/He filled my soul with His great love and made me over new/There’s been a lot of changes in this heart of mine/I’ve got a born again experience and now I’m feelin’ fine”.

Suzanne Jennings and Michael Sykes wrote ‘Knowing You’ll Be There’, a sentimental country ballad: “Knowing we can spend a lifetime reminiscing on the past/Knowing I will see your face again where tender moments last/It makes me wanna go there knowing I won’t be alone/Knowing you’ll be there makes it easy to go home”.  Rusty Goodman wrote the fun ‘The Answer’s on the Way’.  It’s a song of positivity: “Oh yes, the answer’s on the way, this I know/Jesus said it, I believe it and it’s so/Our Heavenly Father knows the need before we pray/And we can rest assured/The answer’s on the way”.

Johnny Minick and Tim Hill wrote ‘I’m Dying to Tell You’, which is a country ballad that finds Jesus speaking from the cross: “He said ‘I’m dying to tell you I love you/Dying to bring you life anew/I want to show you what grace can do/So I’m dying to tell you I love you’”.  Ronnie Hinson’s ‘The Lighthouse’ is an inspirational classic with a nautical theme and a spiritual meaning: “There’s a lighthouse on a hillside that overlooks life’s sea/When I’m tossed it sends out a light that I might see/And the light that shines in darkness now will safely lead me o’er/If it wasn’t for that lighthouse/My ship would sail no more.../And I thank God for the lighthouse/I owe my life to Him/For Jesus is the lighthouse and from the rocks of sin/He has shone the light around me/That I might clearly see/If it wasn’t for the lighthouse/Where would this ship be?”

Next is Bill Gaither’s intimate praise and worship gem ‘The Longer I Serve Him’.  It begins: “Since I started for the Kingdom/Since my life He controls/Since I gave my heart to Jesus/The longer I serve Him, the sweeter He grows/The longer I serve Him, the sweeter He grows/The more that I love Him, more love He bestows/Each day is like Heaven, my heart overflows/The longer I serve Him, the sweeter He grows”.  Last up is Charles Wycuff’s ‘I’m Too Near Home’.  It’ll get your feet a dancin’ and is a song of spiritual determination: “I’m too near home with my Lord/To miss sweet heaven’s reward/I’m not returning to sin/I’ve made my vow/There’s nothing to go back to/Oh ‘Praise God! Heaven’s in view!’/I’m too near Heaven my home/I’ll not turn back now”.

I became a fan of the last incarnation of the Happy Goodman’s (Howard, Vestal, and Johnny Minick) via the Gaither Homecoming video series.  On STILL HAPPY Goodman Revival keep the musical and lyrical vibe of the group going with several cover songs and a couple dandy originals that fit in well.  The main theme presented is that of anticipating Heaven where we will see God and loved ones who have gone before us.  It will be a place of complete joy.  Gratitude for Calvary is another main theme.  Through the sacrificial work of Christ we can obtain mercy, grace, love, healing, forgiveness, and salvation.  We can become new creations.  Other topics explored include prayer and serving Jesus.  Intimacy with God is desired.  Seven of the eleven songs are on the slower side of things, but the four fast ones are really good and celebratory.  Tambourine, harmonica, steel guitar, mandolin, and dobro are just some of the instruments used on this record of Southern Gospel and country sounds.  All three group members take turns singing lead, with Tanya and Johnny being most prominent.  I’m rating STILL HAPPY 95%.  For more info visit: www.goodmanrevival.com.