Wednesday, February 21, 2018

THE ALTAR AND THE DOOR


Casting Crowns began in 1999 as a CCM band led by youth pastor Mark Hall in Daytona Beach, Florida.  They released their self-titled debut in 2003.  It was a huge success and included the song 'Voice of Truth' which spent fourteen back-to-back weeks at #1.  In 2005 their album LIFESONG came out. The title track was a #1 hit for nine weeks.  Their third album THE ALTAR AND THE DOOR (2007, Beach Street/Reunion) debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200 and at #1 on the Hot Christian Albums chart.  Band members were: Juan DeVevo (acoustic and electric guitar), Melodee DeVevo (violin, bgv's), Andy Williams (drums), Chris Huffman (bass), Hector Cervantes (electric guitar), Mark Hall (vocals), and Megan Garrett (piano, keyboards, bgv's).  In the liner notes the band writes: "This is where we all live as believers-somewhere between the altar and the door."  At the altar, everything makes sense. We know how to live and what direction to take.  Everything is black and white.  But somewhere between the altar and the door everything leaks out and we go nuts!  God is calling us to take what He gives us..."

1. Starting things off is 'What this World Needs', a strong rock track that offers answers for our troubled world: "What this world needs is not another one hit wonder with an axe to grind/Another two bit politician peddling lies/Another three ring circus society.../What this world needs is a Savior who will rescue/A Spirit who will lead/A Father who will love them in their time of need/A Savior who will rescue/A Spirit who will lead/A Father who will love/That's what this world needs".

2. Mark Hall, Bernie Herms, and Nichole Nordeman wrote the adult rock song 'Every Man'.  It's the album's second single and ultimately strikes a positive chord: "There is hope for every man/A solid place where we can stand/In this dry and weary land/There is hope for every man/There is Love that never dies/There is peace in troubled times/Will we help them understand?/Jesus is hope for every man".

3. Mark Hall wrote the album's third single, 'Slow Fade', an adult rock song that serves as a strong spiritual warning and is one of the group's best songs ever: "It's a slow fade when you give yourself away/It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray/Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid/When you give yourself away/People never crumble in a day/Daddies never crumble in a day/Families never crumble in a day/Oh be careful little eyes what you see (2X)/For the Father up above is looking down in love/Oh be careful little eyes what you see".

4. 'East to West' is the album's first single and spent sixteen consecutive weeks at #1.  It is an adult contemporary ballad that serves as a prayer: "Jesus, can You show me just how far the east is from the west?/'Cause I can't bear to see the man I've become rising up in me again/In the arms of Your mercy I find rest/'Cause You know just how far the east is from the west/From one scarred hand to the other".

5. Hall co-wrote 'The Word is Alive' with Steven Curtis Chapman.  It begins by describing how God has taken the initiative to have a relationship with us: "Looking out from His throne, the Father of light and of men/Chose to make Himself known and show us the way back to Him/Speaking wisdom and truth into the hearts of peasants and kings/He began to unveil the Word that would change the course of all things/With eyes wide open, all would see/The Word is alive and it cuts like a sword through through the darkness/With a message of life to the hopeless and afraid/Breathing life into all who believe".

6. Next up is the title track, 'The Altar and the Door', penned by Mark Hall.  It is a pop song about the struggles of faithful discipleship: "Lord, this time I’ll make it right, here at the altar I lay my life/Your kingdom come but my will was done, my heart is broken as I.../Cry, like so many times before/But my eyes are dry before I leave the floor, oh Lord/I try but this time, Jesus, how can I be sure I will not lose my follow through/Between the altar and the door"?

7.'Somewhere in the Middle' is an adult contemporary ballad that includes these transparent lyrics: "Somewhere between my heart and my hands/Somewhere between my faith and my plans/Somewhere between the safety of the boat and the crashing waves/Somewhere between a whisper and a roar/Somewhere between the altar and the door/Somewhere between contented peace and always wanting more/Somewhere in the middle You’ll find me".


8. Jeff Chandler wrote 'I Know You're There'.  It is the song of one with great faith: "I, I know You're there/I know You see me/You're the air I breathe/You are the ground beneath me/I know You're there/I know You hear me/I can find You anywhere".


9. 'Prayer for a Friend' is a quiet, sincere song of intercession: "Lord, I lift my friend to You/My best friend in the world, I know he means much more to You/I want so much to help him, but this is something he has to do/And Lord, I lift my friend up to You/Cause there’s a way that seems so right to him/But You know where that leads/He’s becoming a puppet of the world, too blind to see the strings/Lord, I lift my friend up to You/My friend up to You".


10. Steve Fee wrote the now popular upbeat modern worship testimony 'All Because of Jesus':  "And I am alive because I’m alive in You/It’s all because of Jesus I’m alive/It’s all because the blood of Jesus Christ/That covers me and raised this dead man’s life/It’s all because of Jesus I’m alive

I’m alive, I’m alive".  A strange hidden track ends off the album.


THE ALTAR AND THE DOOR won a Dove Award for 'Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year'.  It was produced by Mark A. Miller and executive produced by Terry Hemmings.  Christ is presented as our Savior, our Hope, and our Peace here.  We are reminded that God's Word is as relevant as ever today, and that we are to remain spiritually alert and do our best to follow Jesus Christ.  The depth of God's forgiveness is pointed out.  There are also a couple of praise and worship songs on this record.  The album's first four cuts, three of which were radio singles, are splendid.  Unfortunately the rest of the album doesn't quite match that quality. The remaining songs are okay or average.  That being said, I am rating THE ALTAR AND THE DOOR 78 %.  For more info visit: www.castingcrowns.com.