Thursday, July 12, 2018

SLOW REVIVAL


Bryan Duncan was born on March 16, 1953 in Riverside, California.  He sang for the Sweet Comfort Band who put out their debut album SWEET COMFORT in 1977.  They broke up after 1984's PERFECT TIMING.  They would re-unite in 2013 for THE WAITING IS OVER.  Bryan's solo debut was 1985's HAVE YOURSELF COMMITTED.  Over the years he became known for such songs as: 'Strong Medicine', 'Love Takes Time', and 'A Heart Like Mine'.  In 1994 he released his seventh solo project, SLOW REVIVAL (Word/Epic). The album peaked at #5 on the U.S. Billboard Top Contemporary Christian Albums chart. In the liner notes, Bryan writes: "I'm grateful, dear God, for the unconditional love You have for me. It's been hard to believe".

1. Bryan co-wrote 'A Heavenly Light' with Randy Lee, and Lou Ann Lee.  It's an upbeat, funk/pop song about spiritual enlightenment: "A light in the darkness always changes everything, yeah/I'm in a slow revival from a rude awakening/Hey! Oh yeah!/Well, it's a sure sign for seeking time/Take another hard look/Where I'm going wrong/And then all of a sudden a heavenly light goes on/It's a little brighter than before/Leads back to the Savior/Don't need to fix the world, yeah!"

2. James Felix and Bryan wrote 'United We Stand'. It's a soulful ballad with guest vocals by Anointed.  It is about unity in the body of Christ: "United we stand, divided we fall/We will live or die together/The same for one and all/Together defend this love without end/And we'll honor God forever, together, oh.../Oh, there's just no way to win if we're fighting all the time".

3. 'Don't Look Away' is a light pop song about caring for others: "There in a dozen faces all calling my name/And their hands reach for mine and they're cryin'/Don`t look away, see how I've been wounded/Don't turn your face, see my face as your own/Don't look away/Put your arms around me/Don't go closing your eyes to the truth as you pray".

4. 'Your Love, My Saving Grace' is a bouncy funk song that makes good use of horns and testifies: "I know that it's Your love in a lonely place/My life that You help me face/And there ain't no need to worry/Your love, my saving grace/No need to cry/Don't take it away now/Ain't no need to worry/As long as I've got You/I got help to see me through/It's Your love, my saving grace".

5. Michael Omartian and Bryan wrote 'Traces of Heaven'. It's was one of three tracks to reach #1 on Christian radio.  It's an adult contemporary ballad about God's love for us: "My hope lies in Your love for me/In Your faithfulness I can see/Traces of heaven/In subtle kindness, Lord/You keep lovingly showing me/Traces of heaven".

6. 'My House' is a fast-paced pop song about spiritual renewal: "Tearin' the walls down in my house/We're swingin' the doors wide/Takin' all my windows out/Lettin' the light in, in my house/We're startin' all over". There's a great electric guitar solo at song's end.

7. 'Lonely Tonight' is a beautiful adult contemporary ballad that finds Bryan pouring out his heart to God: "You know I trust in You/But I'm lonely tonight/It's not a simple need for company/I don't know where I belong in the world I see/And I'm lonely tonight".

8. Reed Vertelney and Bryan co-wrote 'Things Are Gonna Change', a great song of encouragement: "Don't give up, well, I've seen some hard things/I never thought that I would ever smile again.../Gotta have a little faith/Maybe add a little trust, add a lot of love/You see you're gonna rise above/The things that are so rough".

9. 'Wheels of a Good Thing' is an upbeat, funky toe-tapper of encouragement: "When you feel yourself stranded/Broken down, abandoned, call y'all!/Say your prayers and get out of the way/Ah, and He'll get ya/Hey!/Jesus may, Jesus may help you get through this world, amen!/When there's a will there is a way/Oh, leave it to Jesus to help you change your attitude".

10. David Lasley, Lana Marrano, Darrell Brown, and Dan Posthuma wrote the closing song, 'Safe Harbor'.  It's a nice easy listening praise and worship number: "Tossed upon the ocean/Your hand steadied straight my bow/And as I chart the storms of life/I know You will show me how/And now, in this cold, dark world/I'm put always to the test/Your arms are the shelter that offers to me rest/Lord, You're my safe harbor/With a word You calm my soul/And You show me sweet power/And a love that brings me home".

SLOW REVIVAL was nominated for 'Best Contemporary Album' at the 26th GMA Dove Awards. Pop, funk, easy listening, and adult contemporary sounds are all found on this album.  There are an equal amount of fast and slower songs.  A gratitude for God's love and salvation clearly comes through.  A desire for love and unity among believers and a need to care for others are expressed.  Revival and spiritual renewal are desired here. There's a song about loneliness and songs of encouragement. Bryan's vocals are soulful. I'm rating this project 93% and recommending it to fans of Clay Crosse. For more info visit: www.bryanduncan.com and/or connect with him on Facebook.