Tuesday, July 24, 2018

HYMNBOOK


Back in 1959 and 1962 Johnny Cash released his first two gospel albums. HYMNS and HYMNS FROM THE HEART were both issued by Columbia Records. My Dad had both of them on LP back in the day. Fast forward to 2016 and both albums were combined on the cd HYMNBOOK (Simply Media TV). That is what I will be reviewing here.

1. It Was Jesus-I really like the call and answer style chorus: "Who was it everybody?" "It was Jesus", repeated.
2. I Saw a Man-A slow, old country song of testimony: "My life, my heart I gave/My soul was in His care".
3. Are All the Children In?-A sentimental, talking song. Quite good, reminds me of 'Christmas As I Knew It'.
4. The Old Account-One of his best upbeat gospel songs. Celebrates our redemption!
5. Lead Me Gently Home-A pleasant country ballad requesting Divine guidance.
6. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot-A gospel standard. I prefer Larry Norman's version.
7. Snow in His Hair-A moving story song about a prodigal son returning to Daddy.
8. Lead Me, Father-A dreary song. It drags on.
9. I Call Him-A faster song about God's faithfulness. "And I call him when I'm troubled and I call Him when I'm weak/And He always pulls me through my troubles some way and I believe He'll be there".
10. These Things Shall Pass-A good reminder our troubles are temporary :)
11. He'll Be a Friend-Not my fave song about Noah. That'd be 'Noah Found Grace'. Still, this one's alright.
12. God Will-I like the opening line: "God will walk with me down the streets where no one else will walk".

13. He'll Understand and Say Well Done-I like the old school backing vocals here.
14. God Must Have My Fortune Laid Away-Reflects on why some are rich and some poor.
15. When I've Learned Enough to Die-A forgettable track.
16. I Got Shoes-A real toe-tapper about our eternal home as Christians! Great backing vocals.
17. Let the Lower Lights Be Burning-Nice organ intro. A great song about rescuing lost souls!
18. If We Never Meet Again-A pretty, mid-tempo number about heaven.
19. When I Take My Vacation in Heaven-The weakest lyrically so far. Heaven won't be a vacation. A vacation implies we'll be going back to our daily toils at some point.
20. When He Reached Down His Hand For Me-There's much truth here: "Once my soul was astray from the heavenly way/I was wretched and vile as could be". Even as believers we still sin.
21. Taller Than Trees-A tad on the cheesy side lyrically.
22. I Won't Have to Cross Jordan Alone-A strong song! We need not fear death! Hallelujah!
23. My God is Real (Yes, God is Real)-A child-like song of testimony. "God is real for I can feel Him in my heart".
24. These Hands-Forgettable to me.

HYMNBOOK clocks in at a good length of 54:03. Stylistically, this is straight up old country gospel music. There are twelve fast and twelve slow songs here, so it's a good mix! Heaven is the most dominant theme. It is there where God will tell us He's pleased with us and give us our rewards. Temptations and troubles will be a thing of the past! A gratitude for salvation is the next most common theme. This is followed by songs that ask for and show thankfulness for God's guidance, strength, and overall presence. 'Snow in His Hair' is a great story song. I'm rating this two record collection 85%. For more info visit: www.johnnycash.com or connect with his fans on Facebook.