Saturday, August 11, 2018

THE GOSPEL COLLECTION


Country and Western singer Dolly Rebecca Parton was born on January 19, 1946 in Sevier County, Tennessee. She released her debut solo album, HELLO, I'M DOLLY, in 1967. Her best known songs include: 'Coat of Many Colors', 'Jolene', 'I Will Always Love You', and '9 To 5'. In 2010 Sony Music released THE GOSPEL COLLECTION. Several of the songs on it are noted to have been recorded prior to 1972.

Starting things off is 'God's Colouring Book'. Dolly wrote it, originally recorded it in 1971, and it was released in 2007. It's a pretty folk song that nature lovers will appreciate: "A yellow dandelion, pretty evergreen/And some red and orange flowers growing wild along the stream/As I looked around me/The more that I did look/The more I realized that I was viewing God's colouring book". 'Sacred Memories' is a sentimental, upbeat country and western song: "Sacred memories often take me to the place where I grew up/And that little country church that I love so much/I used to go there every time that old church bell would ring/And I remember how I loved the songs we used to sing".

A rockabilly version of 'Comin' For to Carry Me Home' follows. It anticipates our eternal heavenly home as Christians: "I looked over Jordan and what did I see/Coming for to carry me home?/I saw a whole band of angels coming after me/Coming for to carry me home/Swing low, sweet chariot/Coming for to carry me home". A traditional version of the classic hymn 'How Great Thou Art' is up next. It begins with church bells and includes great backing vocals. Heaven is again anticipated: "When Christ shall come with shouts of acclamation/To take me home, what joy shall fill my heart/Then I shall kneel in humble adoration and then proclaim/'My God, how great Thou art!'"

'Golden Streets of Glory' is one of seven tracks solely penned by Dolly on this compilation project. This cheery old country song looks forward to the afterlife: "And when I've reached my journey's end/And if I'm worthy to go in/Golden streets of glory, I'll walk on/And the golden streets of my new home/Will lead me up to the Master's throne/With the angel band I'll sing/'Glory to His Name/Oh, holy, holy!'" 'I Believe' is a powerful, inspirational anthem of faith: "I believe above the storm the smallest prayer will still be heard/I believe that Someone in the great somewhere hears every word/Every time I hear a newborn baby cry/Or touch a leaf or see the sky/Then I know why I believe".

Dolly co-wrote 'Preacher Tom' with Porter Wagoner. It's a toe-tapping country and western tribute to an old-school country preacher: "Your smile is like the sunshine bringing warmth and joy to others/And love controls your understanding heart/And the message that you spread is just like water to the thirsty/A beacon that keeps shining through the dark/So Preacher Tom, come on preach/Let the One of which you speak have His way/Let His precious will be done". 'The Seeker' has  a cool vibe sound-wise. The lyrics are prayerful: "I am a seeker, a poor sinful creature/There is no weaker than I am/ I am a seeker and You are a teacher/You are a reacher, so reach down/Reach out and lead me/Guide me and keep me in the shelter of Your care each day".

Dolly and Dorothy Jo Hope wrote a newer song called 'Would You Know Him (If You Saw Him)'. It's a great country ballad: "He might be a little orphan, he might be a crippled man/Oh, would you know Him if you saw Him?/Would you offer Him your hand?/God is all around us/He's never far away". The country and western classic 'Wings of A Dove' was penned by Bob Ferguson and Ferlin Husky. It has a simple, but wonderful chorus: "On the wings of a snow-white dove/He sends His pure, sweet love/A sign from above/On the wings of a dove".

'The Master's Hand' is a pleasant country song about God's goodness and faithfulness: "The Master's hand is always held out to us/And it will lead us to the promised land/And the evil of this world cannot outdo us/If we are holdin' to the Master's hand (2X)". 'Everything is Beautiful (In Its Own Way)' is a ballad nature lovers will again appreciate: "When I see a fountain flow from a mountain/Or see April showers bring flowers to May/I can't help but ponder /Life is such a wonder/And everything's beautiful in its own way.../What my eyes can't behold/Can't be bought or sold/And everything's beautiful in its own way".

A fast-paced duet with Porter Wagoner, 'Daddy Was An Old Time Preacher Man', follows. Here's verses one and two: "Daddy was an old time preacher man/He preached the Word of God throughout the land/He preached so plain a child could understand/Yes, Daddy was an old time preacher man/He told the people of the need to pray/He talked about God's wrath and judgment day/He preached about that great eternity/He preached hell so hot that you could feel the heat". 'There' includes kids on backing vocals as well as adults.  It's a great inspirational song: "A city of riches beyond comprehension/Take me there/Won't you take me there?/Streets are of gold, gates of pearl, brilliant mansions/Take me there/Won't you take me there?"

Tommy Tomlinson wrote 'Heaven's Just a Prayer Away', a gospel music infused song about having a relationship with Christ: "And if you go/If you go to a church on Sunday/You get down on your knees and pray/And give your heart and your soul to Jesus/Heaven's just a prayer away". 'Letter to Heaven' is a bittersweet folk ballad about a little girl hit and killed by a vehicle, reuniting her in Heaven with her Mother who'd gone before her.

'Lord Hold My Hand' is a pretty ballad that serves as a prayer: "Hold my hand, let's not lose my way/Hold my hand and lead me home/Guide each step that I might take/Hold my hand and keep me strong/And let the path I walk be straight/Let the deeds I do be kind". Last up is 'Yes I See God', written by Dorothy Jo Hope. It's a song of testimony: "Yes, I see God where the mountains reach the sky/And I see God when the eagle starts to fly/I see God in a little baby's smile/I see God and He makes my life worthwhile".

On THE GOSPEL COLLECTION, the songs are mostly old country and western in nature, with some folk and gospel influences. Dolly's voice is strong and distinct. Some may find it a bit too shrill, but overall I didn't. There are nine fast songs and nine slow songs presented here. Heaven is most certainly a main theme (being a place where peace, joy, and love never cease). Appreciating God's handiwork in creation is another recurring theme. We are also encouraged to give our hearts and souls fully to Jesus. I'm rating this project 98%. For more info visit: www.dollyparton.com or look her up on Facebook.