Tuesday, October 01, 2019

BY FAITH


Kim Boyce was born on March 14, 1961 in Winter Haven, Florida. In 1983 she was Miss Florida. In 1984 she competed at Miss America. She released her debut CCM album (self-titled) in 1986. Fast forward to 1994 and she released her sixth project, BY FAITH (Warner Alliance). Producers used were Bryan Lenox, Bill Cuomo, and Robert White Johnson. Eric Wyse served as executive producer. 

Starting things off is 'Tell Me', an adult pop song that finds God addressing us: "I've loved you for all time/Even when you had no thought of Me/I walked along with you/I've watched you all the while/Longed for you to call on Me". Marty Paoletta plays sax here. 'Oh, What A Love' is directed at Kim's husband, Gary: "I know heaven's speaking to my heart/Cause I feel forever/When we're together/Made it look so easy when you saved me/Have I told you lately/Exactly what you mean to me?/You're my joy, my everything".

The title track, 'By Faith' was written by Chris Rice and Scott MacLeod. It's an adult contemporary ballad about trusting in God: "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe/Blessed are the hands that keep giving and never receive/Blessed is the heart that gets broken and keeps holding on/Holding on for another day". Ty Lacy and Steve Siler wrote the hit 'Not Too Far From Here'. It's about caring for others: "Help me, Lord, not to turn away from pain/Help me not to rest while those around me weep/Give me Your strength and compassion/When somebody finds the road of life too steep".

'Just Believe' is an upbeat pop song that spurs us on: "Ain't been easy, worry's on my mind/I get discouraged when I think of it sometimes/But believe me when I say there's gonna be a better day/Hold on, cause help is on the way.../Hey, now people, sing with me/You can make it, just believe/Brothers and Sisters, set each other free/Come together, just believe". 'After God's Own Heart' includes this chorus of confession: "The truth is I have been running from Him/Chasing after things that keep us apart/Now I see how desperately I am needing to be/Running after God's own heart".

Up next is 'Rescue Me', penned by Kim and Tommy Greer. It's a good pop song calling out to God: "I'm sending out an SOS now/I know You`ll hear me somehow/When You see that I am drowning/That's when I feel Your arms around me, arms around me". Kim co-wrote 'Dreams I'm Dreamin'' with Bo Cooper. It was written when Kim was 3 months pregnant: "Dreams I'm dreamin'/Lullabies I'll be singing/When your little face I see/Hopes I'm hoping/All the prayers I'm praying/Baby, hurry now to me". It's touching.

Eric Champion wrote 'Imagine A Love', a pop/dance song that finds God speaking: "I know you well/Before the earth had its form I knew your name/And I can tell something is wrong/Cause right now I feel your pain". Closing things out is 'Shelter Me With Love'. It's a quiet song serving as a prayer: "So shelter me with wings of mercy/And comfort me with arms of love/Then speak to me with words of wisdom/And breathe on me with Your sweet, precious Spirit/Shelter me with love".

BY FAITH contains five adult pop songs and five adult contemporary ones. There are definitely more slow songs here than fast ones. This isn't the energetic pop/dance music of early Kim Boyce efforts. That being said, this is a terrific album for adults. God's love is a central theme. He desires an intimate personal relationship with us and so should we. He is our Maker, Father, and ultimate Lover. We can fully trust Him though we can't see Him. His desire for us is that we help the hurting and lonely we come across. I'm rating this album 87%. For more info visit www.kimboycemusic.com or connect with her on social media.