Monday, October 28, 2019

FOR THE WOUNDED HEART


Back in 1993 Fear Not released their excellent hard rock/metal self-titled debut album. Fast forward to 2019 and after all of these many years, they are back with a new five song ep entitled FOR THE WOUNDED HEART (Roxx Records). Group members are new vocalist Eddie Green, Larry Worley (guitars), Chris Sorensen (guitars), Rod Romero (bass), and Gary Hanson (drums). Kyle Simpson serves as producer while Bill Bafford executive produces.

First up is the lead single 'Don't Want None (Come Get Some)'. It's a strong rock song about changing one's thought patterns for the better: "The snake's deceived me and filled my head with lies/Made me believe that I had a life to despise/My feet hit the floor this morning/I'm breathing and alive/Everyday is a gift/Every day is a blessing/I'm changing my mind". 'Shadows Fade' includes a hot electric guitar solo and is all about perspective: "Mustard seed moves mountains/Doubt makes it grow/Life and death within the tongue.../Pain lets me know I'm alive/It can't defeat me!" Next we have 'Carry Me', a melodic rock ballad that is prayerful: "You said I'd never have more than I can bear/Carry me now (2X)/You know I can't do this without You/Carry me now (2X).../Please God, save my soul".

'Love is Alright' is a punchy rocker calling out to God for help: "My heart is opened wide/Why don't You come inside?/Love is alright, free me tonight/Love is alright, save me tonight". Last up is 'Shipwrecked Hypocrite' which paints a dismal picture of an individual: "Headed for the rocks/Can't escape the waves/Can't find the truth till the end of days/Alone on your island, solitary castaway/Shipwrecked hypocrite/Can't find your way".

 Scott Waters did a great job on the cover art layout and design for FOR THE WOUNDED HEART. There's great pics of every band member in the cd booklet. Eddie Green shines on lead vocals. He reminds me at times of Holy Soldier's Eric Wayne. This ep has contagious energy and drive. The band conveys their Christian faith in a simple, non-judgmental way. They believe only God can set a soul free. If you like the sound of Daughtry and Nickelback this ep is for you. I hope they put out an all new full length album in a year or two. I'm rating this ep 95%. For more info visit www.roxxproductions.com and connect with the band on facebook.