Sunday, November 24, 2019

THE DREAM


Sanctus Real formed in Toledo, Ohio in 1996. They released their major label debut, SAY IT LOUD, in 2002. Over the years they became known for such songs as 'I'm Not Alright', 'We Need Each Other', and 'Lead Me'. Fast forward to 2014 and they released THE DREAM (Sparrow), their last album with Matt Hammitt as lead singer. Joining him on this project are Chris Rohman, Mark Graalman, Jake Rye, and Seth Huff.

The album opens with the optimistic pop title track 'The Dream'. It declares: "The dream is alive/I feel it inside/When You're close/I see the light/The dream is alive/And it's right in front of me/It's You (2X)/It's not a place/It's not a thing/It's not a trivial pursuit/The dream is You (3X)". 'I Need You' is a pop/dance track about the importance of God: "I need You/This is serious/I need You more than an experience/I need You cause You're the real thing/I need You".

'Head in the Fight' is an adult contemporary song of encouragement: "You gotta keep your head in the fight/You can't give up in the hardest times/Can't let your spirit die/If you're gonna survive/You've gotta keep love in your heart/A prayer on your tongue". 'Lay it Down' is a spiritual pep talk: "Oh, you can stand up no matter what/March on when times are tough/Be strong and don't give up/All you need now is to shake 'em off and lay 'em down/At the cross where your freedom's found".

'Easier on My Heart' uses synthesizer and includes these prayerful words: "C'mon take, take, take me in Your arms/Don't let me get away/Hold me close to Your heart/Take, take, take me in Your arms/Don't let me fall away/When I'm falling apart". 'Ride it Out' offers these words of assurance: "The wind will take you where you're meant to be/The waves will break when your Creator speaks/And when it's over you will clearly see/That the storm was only there to show you what it takes to believe".

Next up is 'Bend Not Break', a light pop song of friendship: "Take my hand and remember/We may bend but will not break/And if ever you should feel like giving up/Remember that God is with us/And if ever you should fear you may lose/Remember that you don't have to run". 'Same God' is a good pop/rock song about the body of Christ: "All for the One who gives us life/No other purpose, no other pledge/Nobody else has conquered death/Under this banner we are united by the same love".

'One Word At A Time' offers us good advice: "Every morning is a new sunrise/A chance to change the world by living out your life/One word at a time.../Living one word can lead you to freedom/Can make you courageous/Living one word/Can help you discover/Your life direction". '33' is a wonderful adult contemporary ballad: "And now I'm 33/Looking at this path behind me/And all You've brought me through/And I've made my mistakes/I've caused my share of heartache/But I have seen a mother's prayer come true/Oh, Lord my heart still belongs to You".

'On Fire' is a quiet spiritual wake-up call: "You were on fire/And church was more than a place/And people were more than faces/And Jesus was more than a name/Remember when you weren't ashamed/To tell your friends about your faith/A time when you felt the pain of just one lost soul that was slipping away". The album closes with 'The Beginning (Outro)', a short, peaceful, mostly instrumental cut.

If you're looking for the rockier side of Sanctus Real, you won't find it on THE DREAM. This album is mostly adult pop and adult contemporary music. The band performs both well. The three main lyrical subjects are: admitting a need for God in one's life, living the Christian life, and encouraging others. This is decidedly an album of positivity and not negativity. It offers a Light in a dark world. I'm rating it 86%. For more info visit www.sanctusreal.com or connect with the band on social media.