Friday, November 01, 2019

HIT ME IN THE HEART


Back in the day Midwest Christian rock band Fighter put out two albums. They were 1991's THE WAITING and 1992's BANG THE DRUM. Their co-lead singer Amy Wolter put out the solo album HIT ME IN THE HEART (WAL) in 1994. It was produced and mixed by Caesar.

Starting things off is the adult rock song 'There Won't Be A Next Time'. It testifies: "I gave so little, but Jesus, You gave me Your best/You took a scheming heart that didn't care/You broke it in two and started from there/I'm free from the past You've erased/Determined to stand in Your grace". Bill Heller plays lead guitar on the rock ballad 'Blue Skies'. It points to God as a sure shelter: "I've heard the thunder crash/A hundred times before/After all is said and done/I know that You're still the One I'm running to". Amy dedicates 'Oils on This Canvas' to her mother whose paintings have inspired her. These opening words speak of Amy being lovingly created: "Many years ago an Artist had a dream/He would paint a picture/That painting would be me/He gathered all the colors that He thought He would need/And He used a perfect canvas so the colors wouldn't bleed". 

Amy co-wrote 'Two Worlds' with Tom Wanca. Mark H. Chesshir plays rhythm guitars on this adult contemporary song. These words are those of one who is hesitant: "Will I go down if I pick the wrong door?/If I walk through will my feet lose their way?/I know I live by the keys that I use/And I'm too afraid right now to choose". Amy penned 'We All Need' alone. This soft ballad shares good news: "Forgiveness comes free to those who turn and ask/We all need His grace like a warm embrace/To make it through this life/And we all need the hope/The mercy to cope with what comes our way".

'Break My Fall' is a great rocker! Morris Hayes plays the B-3 on this song of humility: "But for the grace of God/It could've been bad/It could have been me but/Someone was there to break my fall (2X)". 'New Start' has a rock edge to it and serves as a prayer: "I need a new start/Hit me in the heart/Show me what you want me to see/I need a new start/Hit me where I need it/Fill me with the hope that comes from You".

'The Promise', to me, lacks grace and understanding. It calls out those who can't keep their marriages together: "No morals, no conscience/Leave it all behind/A few hard knocks and we give up/Go and see what else we'll find/The grass seems so much greener across the way". Next up is 'Don't Seem Right'. Mike Bland plays drums and Sonny Thompson bass on this pop song of gratitude to Christ: "And it don't seem right/The way things turned out/The way I'm lyin' here/While You're dyin' there/And it don't seem right/The price You paid/It don't seem right/I got love way too easy".

Bill Heller, Jim Wolter, and Amy Wolter wrote 'Be That Child'. It's a melodic song of spiritual reflection: "When I was a kid I knew that God looked after me and you/I never doubted all the fire and rain in the miracles He'd do/Things back then were yes or no/Black and white was easy to see/I knew when I did something wrong/And the thought of hell scared me". Last up is 'Where My Heart Is', a ballad offering good advice: "The desires of your heart are a gift from God, so hold on/And take the leap of faith".

HIT ME IN THE HEART is a pleasant light rock album with exceptional vocals and instrumentation. Lyrically it chronicles Amy's walk with God. Things aren't always rosy, but in the end things work out for good, for those who love and place their trust in God. He wants to bless and protect us. The songs presented here show Amy working out her salvation. I hope one day Amy does a full on rock album of faith with lots of killer electric guitar solos and pounding drums. I'm rating HIT ME IN THE HEART 88%. For more info connect with Amy on Facebook. To purchase a re-mastered version of this project visit www.roxxproductions.com. According to her current bio, Amy is "a trained Live Music Producer for Tom Jackson Productions". Artists she has worked with include Lecrae, the Band Perry, High Valley, and Francesca Battistelli. Very cool!