Monday, August 12, 2019

FIGHTER


MASS actually recorded their debut album, FIGHTER, in 1982 at Criteria Studios in Miami. Due to label and management troubles the album was not released. Well, fast forward to 2019 and No Life 'Til Metal Records has released it! Group members on the album are: Louis St. August (lead/backup vocals), Gene D'Itria (guitar/backup vocals), Kevin Varrio (bass guitar/backup vocals), and Joey 'Vee' Vadala. The album was produced by Tom Allom and MASS and executive produced by Bill Bafford. Scott Waters did a good job on the layout and design.

First up is a blazing metal song 'Watch Her Walk'. It's about a guy with no luck: "Say that you love me, said that you're mine/And now that I'm down here you ain't got the time/You got the power I've got the need/My heart is aching and ready to bleed.../All that I can do is watch her walk, watch her". 'Part of Me' includes great electric guitar work and is about an unattainable lady: "Show me the way to go on my own/Don't be afraid, cause you're not alone/Baby, I need you by my side and when I look I'm hypnotized/But you won't give anyone a chance/Afraid of a loss and a true romance".

'Too Far Gone' is a good metal track that finds a guy in despair: "Too many years, fast cars and beers/I had to beg, steal, and borrow/I lived my life without a fear/I live today for tomorrow/Too far gone, I'm too far gone, too far gone/I keep kicking my head for what I said/The way I am now/I'm better off dead! (3X)". A video for 'Do You Love Me' aired on MTV. This one's a melodic ballad that picks up steam as it goes along. It begins with these words of inquiry: "Do you love me?/Do you want me by your side?/Want to hold me girl?/Want to make me feel everything's right?/Do you need me?/Do you think that I'm the one?/Do you need me girl?/Do you want me girl?/I'll be there tonight".

'Voyager' is a metal song about undertaking a quest: "Though our journey's long/Our ship is strong as the men that sail aboard her/The power above watches over us as the forces that rock the sea/To the center of the earth, to the middle of the world/To find the truth of which we have heard/Look for the edge-in your heart you'll find your goal/Look for the edge-to the center of your soul". The title track, 'Fighter' is over six minutes long. It seems directed at an enemy: "There's blood in my eye, my back is to the wall/I see him coming closer/This sucker's gonna fall/Across through confusion, a brutal illusion/I know I'm not half the man I thought I was/Cause I'm a fighter!/Nobody's there by my side/A born tiger or is it just my foolish pride/That's gone and left me dry?"

Next up is 'Can You See it Again', a power ballad longing for a gal: "Don't you think it's time for us to be alone and together?/Don't you think that I had enough of being turned down as your lover?/Forever!/So come on Cheryl/Hang up the phone cause I really can't wait/No I really can't wait, alone!" 'Slip of the Lip' is a short rocker with these unfortunate lyrics: "Sex is my direction and I'm aiming it at you.../You've got to give me what I want/You've got to give me what I need/You've got to give me what I crave before you drive me in my grave".

'Change Your Way' includes these thoughts: "To love will bring you pain/May sadness and sorrow be the gift for tomorrow". Last up is 'Bad Man's Reputation', inspired by a former manager of the band who screwed them over. It's a blazing metal song: "He's got a bad man's reputation/He's gonna fill you up with lies/He's got a high school education, but everybody says he tries.../Bad man's reputation/Look into his eyes tonight/Bad man's reputation-I think he's getting ready to fight!"

If you enjoy the vocals of Stryper's Michael Sweet, you'll like those of Louis St. August here. They both know how to scream for added effect. Musically this has 80's hair metal written all over it! The majority of the songs are fast paced, or start off slow and become fast. St. August and the band deliver these ten tracks with much passion and energy. Male-female relationships are the most common subject matter. Several songs are about a guy desiring a gal to feel the same way romantically for him as he does for her. Lust and love are intertwined here. There are also songs about searching for meaning in life and trying to endure to the end. I'm rating FIGHTER 80%. For more info visit www.massrocks.com and www.nolifetilmetalrecords.com.

There are also seven Criteria Studios Rough Mixes tagged on after the album proper ends. Collectors will appreciate these! One is the previously unreleased track 'Where Will You Be'. The Bonus Track 'Holy One (Live)' ends things off. It's a Christian metal song about a battle between evil and good.