Monday, August 05, 2019

I CAN BEGIN AGAIN


Larnelle Steward Harris was born on July 6, 1947 in Danville, Kentucky. In 1972 and 1974 he put out albums with the group First Gear. In 1975 he released his solo debut, TELL IT TO JESUS. Fast forward to 1989 and I CAN BEGIN AGAIN (Benson) came out. It was produced by Greg Nelson and executive produced by Dan Cleary.

Jerome Olds wrote the beautiful inspirational ballad 'Mighty Spirit'. It's one of spiritual invitation: "There is a mighty Spirit/Shining out across the sky/He's calling out the weary to green pastures come and lie/There is a mighty Spirit/Crossing barren land/He's sowing love unceasing/Fresh fruit spring from the sand (2X)". Larnelle co-wrote the title track, 'I Can Begin Again', with Dave Clark. Alan Pasqua plays the B-3 organ on this great adult contemporary ballad about second chances: "I can begin again with the passion of a child/My heart has caught a vision of a life that's still worthwhile/I can reach out again/Far beyond what I have done/Like a dreamer who's awakened to a life that's yet to come/For new beginnings are not just for the young". 'Friends in High Places' reflects on heavenly things: "I've got friends in high places/And I'm gonna be with them someday/There's the Father right by His Son/And the angels, each and everyone/And other friends I miss so much and I long to see/But knowing I'll be with them one day comforts me".

'In It After All' uses oboe, flute, bassoon, clarinet, and flugle horn. It's about the faithfulness of God: "So You were in it after all/All of those moments I spent crying/When something inside of me was dying/I didn't know that You heard me/Each time I called/You had a reason for those trials/It seems I grew stronger every mile/Now I know You were in it after all". Janet McMahan-Wilson and Ted Wilson wrote 'Let His Children Rejoice'. It's a good praise and worship song: "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good/Come feast upon His Word/Tell of His wonders in all the earth/Let His Name be heard/Let His children rejoice/For He is Lord of creation/Let His children rejoice/And sing a song of salvation". First Call and Guy Penrod are among the backing vocalists on 'There is No Equal'. It's fast paced and testifies: "There is no equal to You O God/Above all others supremely You reign/The whole of heaven and earth stands in awe/There is no equal to You, O God/There is no equal/Without rival/No contender/Who is like You, O Lord".

'Rhoda' is the only song here solely penned by Larnelle. It uses horns and David Maddux provides backing vocals. This R&B cut draws from the New Testament: "Rhoda was so excited/And she shared it through many words/Though her testimony wasn't believed/She was convinced of what she'd heard/Peter kept right on knocking/With worry on His face/Finally Rhoda opened the door/And all of her doubters just stood there amazed". Next up is 'You're My Child'. I like this first verse: "As flowers long for sunshine/And as deserts thirst for rain/That's how much a Father longs/To shield His child from pain/That's not how life happens/Still I hope that you will see/That I am never far away/For you're a part of Me/You're my child". Last up is the Phil McHugh penned 'The Strength of the Lord'. It's a quiet song offering good advice: "It's not in trying but in trusting/It's not in running but in resting/Not in wondering but in praying/That we find the strength of the Lord/He's all we need/For our every need".

Seven of the nine songs on I CAN BEGIN AGAIN fall into the inspirational category, so Steve Green fans will be pleased. There's also one adult contemporary and one R&B song. Larnelle is a wonderful vocalist and has been in the Gaither Vocal Band. This album invites us to come to Christ and to start life over with a clean slate. God is faithful, good, and great. We can confidently put our trust in Him during life's difficult times. He hears our prayers even when it seems to us He doesn't. I'm rating this album a 95%. For more info visit www.larnelle.com and/or connect with him on social media.