Thursday, August 15, 2019

PURE ATTRACTION


Kathleen 'Kathy' Troccoli was born on June 24, 1958 in Brooklyn, New York. She released her debut CCM album, STUBBORN LOVE, in 1982. Fast forward to 1991 and she put out her fourth full-length album, PURE ATTRACTION (Reunion). It was produced by Ric Wake and executive produced by Michael Blanton and Terry Hemmings. In the liner notes, Kathy shares: "I pray that as I sing my heart, I'll be singing yours too-and that we'll all become better lovers of one another-and even greater lovers of God".

The first two songs were written by the successful Diane Warren. 'Everything Changes' was a top five CCM and top twenty mainstream hit. It's a perfect, upbeat pop love song: "Well, you came in my life like a ray of light shining through the clouds in my heart/I just looked at you and the world was new/It was right right from the start.../Everything changes/Nothing looks the same through the eyes of love". 'Can't Get You Out Of My Heart' is a slower pop song of one longing to get their romantic partner back: "How can I think of finding somebody new/Ooh, when all I ever do is think of you?/What can I do?/I hear my heartbeat-it's calling your name.../I see your face every place I go/How to stop loving you, baby, I don't know/Cause I can't get you out of my heart".

'You've Got A Way' is a radio friendly adult pop ballad. It finds Kathy grateful for her partner: "Oh, how you make me laugh/Oh, how you've heard me cry/And oh how you make me feel so wonderful inside.../You've got a way/You've got a way that heals me/With love like I've never known/And when I`m with you/When I'm with you/I'm always, I'm always at home". 'Only Love Can Know' drags on and addresses Kathy's partner: "As I journey to high places far away from here/What a comfort to know you're on the ride/Oh, only love can go/Where no one dares to go/You've touched me there/Where only love can go".

Next up is 'Help Myself to You' which Kathy wrote alone. It's about her relationship with Christ and is a great pop song: "To be alone with You Jesus/It's such an honor for me/Pour Your life into me/Fill me with Your glory/Let Your love consume me/Oh to be at this place/It's an act of Your grace/And there's nothin' that I'd rather do than to help myself to You". There's a nice electric guitar solo too. Kathy co-wrote 'The Hard Days' with Bill Montvilo. It's about depending on God when times get rough: "There are times I think I've had enough/Life has brought me to my knees/Oh, takes a toll on me/But Your hold on me/It stays, oh, how it stays/On the hard days I'm gonna look for You/I gotta see You/On the hard days".

'Love Was Never Meant to Die' is a pretty ballad of gratitude to God: "Love was never meant to die/But still You gave Your all to keep it alive/And I can't imagine why You'd give Your life for me/But I've begun to see/That Your love was never meant to die". What follows is a cover of Stevie Wonder's 1972 song 'You And I'. It's very positive: "Here we are on earth together/It's you and I/God has made us fall in love, it's true/I've really found someone like you.../Well, in my mind we can conquer the world/In love you and I/You and I (2X)".

'Love Has Found Me Here' includes these encouraging words: "Love, love has found me here/Hiding all these years/From the calling of my heart/Love, love has found me here/Love has reappeared/Or were You there right from the start?" Last up is 'You're Still Here' penned by Kathy and Jack Fowler. It speaks of God's faithfulness: "You're still here/And I'm reminded of the love that I once knew/You're still here longing for the day that You can hold me close/Oh Lord, You know I never meant to let You go/And You've been here/You're still here!"

When all is said and done, PURE ATTRACTION is a great pop record! Both it and Amy Grant's HEART IN MOTION came out in 1991. There are six ballads and four faster songs on Kathy's project, with definite adult contemporary influences. Kathy's vocals are smooth and strong, while Richie Cannata plays sax well. There are several songs celebrating male-female romantic relationships and there's one that longs after a former love. God is portrayed as loving and always there for us. He went to the cross for us and is our Helper. Kathy desires closeness with Him, as we all should. I'm rating this album 92%. For more info visit www.kathytroccoli.com and connect with her on social media.