Tuesday, August 06, 2019

FIRST LOVE



Larnelle Steward Harris was born on July 6, 1947 in Danville, Kentucky. In the 70's he put out a couple of albums with First Gear. He's also been a member of the Gaither Vocal Band. He released his solo debut, TELL IT TO JESUS, in 1975. In '83 and '85 he won Grammys for the duets with Sandi Patty, 'More Than Wonderful' and 'I've Just Seen Jesus'. Fast forward to 1998 and he put out FIRST LOVE (Brentwood). It was produced by Greg Nelson and executive produced by Dean Diehl.

Greg Nelson and David Hamilton wrote the album opener 'Blessing and Honor'. It's an upbeat praise and worship song: "Blessing and honor to our God/Lift up the name of Jesus/He has redeemed us from this world/He is the One who saves us/Oh, worthy is the Lamb to receive/Power, glory, and riches/Praise, wisdom, and might/Blessing and dominion/Now until forever". Vicki Hampton, Chris Rodriguez, and Bob Bailey provide backing vocals on 'Change in Me', a good pop song. These words speak of life transformation: "There's been a change in me/What more can I say?/I've got a brand new way of walking/And a brand new way of talking/He's given me the gift of eternity/It's easy to see that Jesus made this change in me".

The next two songs each surpass the six minute mark. Kyle Matthews wrote 'I Want to Go'. It desires fellowship: "I want to go where You are going, Lord/I want to be among Your people where You are/I cannot live my life alone/I don't know how/But You would not bring me this far to leave me now". 'When God Calls' was written by Greg Nelson and Bob Farrell. This inspirational number makes clear God's intentions towards us: "From that moment in the garden/When He first created man/He has longed that we should know Him/And prosper at His hand/So He draws us to His presence/And brings us to His light".

'Were it not for Grace' is a testimonial: "Were it not for grace/I can tell you where I'd be/Wandering down some pointless road to nowhere with my salvation up to me/I know how that would go/The battles I would face/Forever running but losing the race/Were it not for grace". 'Beginning With You' is one of two songs penned solely by Larnelle. It uses horns and additional vocals by NewSong Choral Ensemble. It's an upbeat pop song that urges us to action: "If you want a world that's more loving/Then you've got to love somebody/You want to be in a world that's more caring/Then reach out and help somebody/You'll make the world a better place/Beginning with you".

Next up is 'All Along the Way'. I love these words from this ballad: "All along the way His faithfulness remains/And all along the way/His message never changes/As I cried out to Him/With love He took me in/And I've been carried/All along the way". Larnelle, Dave Clark, and Don Koch wrote the title cut, 'First Love'. This pop song finds Larnelle wanting to come back to Christ: "I'm going back to my first love/For the fire burns and my heart still yearns to go back to my first love/I never should have walked away.../To find the peace that's waiting up ahead/I've got to go back to my first love".

'I Believe, Help My Unbelief' is a quiet song with lyrics many of us can relate to: "I believe, Lord, help my unbelief/Give the vision that I may see/That I am safe in Your care/Oh Lord, when I'm running ahead of You/When I'm trusting this world for truth/Remind me that You do what You say/And You're all that You claim/I believe, Lord, help my unbelief". Greg Nelson and Phil McHugh wrote the closing song 'Look at His Glorious Cross'. It points to Christ's sacrifice for us: "Look at His glorious cross/Here is the gateway to heaven/Opened at last for the lost/See such a price for the sins of mankind/And His love is paying the cost/Towering over history/Look at His glorious cross".

FIRST LOVE displays Larnelle's vocals wonderfully. Seven of the songs are inspirational, while three are pop. One main theme is a desire for fellowship with God and His people. Another is gratitude for salvation. What a wondrous gift! God totally changes our lives if we but let Him. He desires to be ever active in our lives. This album exalts the Lord Jesus Christ. I recommend it to fans of David Phelps and Twila Paris. It's getting a perfect 100% from me. For more info visit www.larnelle.com and connect with him on social media. There are several handsome pictures of Larnelle in the CD booklet.