Thursday, August 01, 2019

THESE DAYS


Sandra Faye 'Sandi' Patty was born on July 12, 1956 in Oklahoma City. Her first album was 1978's FOR MY FRIENDS. Fast forward to 2000 and she released THESE DAYS (Word/Epic). In the liner notes, she writes: "Some people reflectively say, 'Ah...those were the good old days'. I must confess that while I treasure the memories of those days, I am enjoying the moments in these days. I want to find the joy in every situation in every moment of every day".

Eric Laughlin and Lori Lyon Kitts wrote the upbeat pop song 'Wouldn't Trade it for the World'. It testifies: "I wouldn't trade it for the world/This love You give me/Now I have a reason to sing/Look at how my heart leaps before You/You're music to me/I'm dancing to the rhythm of Your mercy/Movin' to the motion of Your grace/Livin' in Your presence/Wouldn't trade it for the world". 'Go Without Knowing' is an easy listening ballad featuring the Nashville String Machine. Sandi reveals her heart's desire: "If my life could be all my life should be/I would learn to trust God/At every turn/I would hear His words/And my heart would surrender then/Truly depend on Him/I'd go without knowing/Do without doubting/Face without fearing/Any road in front of me". 'Solo El Amor (Only Love)' is an adult contemporary bilingual duet with Miguel Angel Guerra. These are powerful lyrics: "For love He drank of His Father's cup/With all my shame on His shoulders/And He offered forgiveness through His shed blood/Tell me, is it any wonder that I've only known once in my lifetime love in its purest form?/He came here for me, suffered and then died/Under a crown of thorns".

Kathy Troccoli, Jeff Franzel, and Rick Witkowski wrote 'Shine'. The Kid Connection add vocals to this great pop song about fulfilling the Great Commission: "I want to be Your love for every soul/I want to be the hands that hold out hope/I want to bring Your life to every heart/If I could only mirror who You are/Let me be the star at night/Burning with eternal light/So high". Chris Eaton and Chris Rodriguez wrote 'Wings of Peace' on which Michelle Tumes and Brent Bourgeois sing backing vocals. It's easy listening and puts faith in the Lord: "Through every season one truth remains/You will always hide me in Your heart/You will always open up Your arms and carry me/High on Your wings on peace".

Ed DeGarmo and Bob Farrell wrote 'Once and For All'. It rejoices in the atonement: "Once and for all You gave it all/You held out Your hand to me/My destiny/You tore down the wall/Once and for all/Built between God and man/Love made me understand/You came, You died to save the world/For our hearts great and small/Once and for all". The next song, 'All This Time (Anna's Song)' is for Sandi's daughter. It's a tender, sentimental ballad: "Remembering the years/All this time/Moving through the pages of life/You have been a joy to me/Blooming in the sun and the rain/Holding you through laughter and pain/As you dance I delight/I have loved you all this time".

'Candles' uses a choir and classical guitar and includes vocals by Steve Crawford of Anointed. This melodic song is about making a difference for God: "Sometimes we're candles in the night/Shining someone home/We may not know their name/But we're praying for their soul/Cause we're candles in the night/Pushing back the dark/Reaching for their hearts/We're candles in the night". Next up is a cover of The Imperials classic 'One More Song For You' penned by Stormie and Michael Omartian. It's a light pop song about being a beacon: "As long as there is time and one more breath left in me/There will always be one more song for You/And as long as there is room/For one more song in praise/And a need for a word of love and truth/To help my brother and sister through/There'll be one more song for You".

'These Are the Days' is a quiet devotional song: "It's like the moment when the sun wakes up the night/I'm stretching out to heaven/Reaching for Your light/A chance to say 'I love You'/The perfect entrance to the day/And as I pray in Your quietness/Reflecting on Your grace/These are the days that I wish to never end/When I wake within Your presence/When we make the day begin". Last up is 'In the Calm'. Scott Krippayne and Tony Wood wrote it and John Catchings plays cello. It finds Sandi desiring intimacy with God: "Let Your Word speak to me/Let Your Spirit draw near/I will obey/The truth that I hear". 

THESE DAYS is a wonderful album comprised of seven easy listening and four pop songs. Eight of the eleven songs are slow. God's love and goodness towards us are celebrated! Calvary is pointed to as the place where God's love for us was fully displayed. The importance of sharing God's love with others is made clear here. God is worthy of our total trust in Him. This is, for the most part, a soothing and meditative album. Fans of Steve Green and Twila Paris should give this project, which I'm rating a perfect 100%, a listen. For more info visit www.sandipatty.com or connect with her on social media.