Saturday, July 23, 2016

OFFERINGS II: ALL I HAVE TO GIVE


Third Day released their self-titled major label debut in 1996.  In 2000 they released OFFERINGS: A WORSHIP ALBUM, which was a success.  Fast forward to 2003 and they followed it up with OFFERINGS II: ALL I HAVE TO GIVE.  That year they won ‘Group of the Year’ at the Dove Awards.  On this sequel on Essential Records, Third Day is: Mac Powell (vocals, acoustic guitar), Tai Anderson (bass), Brad Avery (guitars), David Carr (drums, percussion), and Mark Lee (guitars).  In the liner notes, you’ll find the following: “God is not through with any of us and worship.  We all have offerings we can give.  As musicians, we choose to give our music.  That doesn’t mean that worship is just music.  We can all worship God in our relationships.  We can all worship God with our entire lives”.

‘Sing A Song’ is one of five new songs presented here.  It is an awesome rock song of praise with great electric guitar work: “And I sing about Your mercy/And I sing about Your love/Your goodness, Lord/Your righteousness/I want to sing a song of Your faithfulness/A song of Your grace/And of Your loving kindness/To the glory of Your Name/With everything that’s in me, Lord/Listen to me say/I want to sing a song for You/I want to sing a song”.  ‘You are so good to Me’ is a Waterdeep song Third Day wanted to introduce to a larger audience.  It is a melodic song of testimony: “You are so good to me/You heal my broken heart/You are my Father in Heaven/You are beautiful my sweet, sweet song (2X).../You poured out all Your blood/You died upon the cross/You are my Jesus who loves me”.

Rich Mullins and Beaker wrote the next song, ‘Creed’.  It appeared on Rich`s 1993 record A LITURGY, A LEGACY, AND A RAGAMUFFIN BAND.  It is one of six live tracks here on this Third Day album.  David Carr writes: `We hope that this is a song that will bring people back to the basics and reignites that passion that we all remember from the start of our journey with God”.  Third Day really rocks the song up and keeps the bold lyrics: “I believe that He who suffered, was crucified, buried, and dead/He descended into hell and on the third day, He rose again/He ascended into Heaven where He sits at God’s mighty right hand/I believe that He’s returning to judge the quick and the dead of the sons of men/I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am/I did not make it, no it is making me/It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man”.  ‘Offering’ is a reverent ballad of worship: “I stand before You at this altar/So many have given You more/I may not have much I can offer/Yet what I have is truly Yours/This is my offering, dear Lord/This is my offering to You, God/And I will give You my life/For it’s all I have to give/Because You gave Your life for me”.

‘Show me Your Glory’ offers up these prayerful words: “Show me Your glory/Send down Your presence/I want to see Your face/Show me Your glory/Majesty shines about You/I can’t go on without You, Lord”.  Next up is ‘Nothing Compares’.  It is lead singer Mac Powell’s favorite cut from 2001’s COME TOGETHER.  It reminds us what is really important: “I see all the people wasting all their time/Building up their riches for a life that’s fine/But nothing compares to the greatness of knowing You, Lord”.

‘Anything’ is an adult contemporary number that finds the band talking to God: “I can’t do anything without You/But You can do everything/You can do everything You want/I just can’t believe that You would love me/After everything, after everything I’ve done/And I want to love You/Love You more than life itself/And I want to hold You/Even though You can’t be held”.  ‘God of Wonders’ was actually penned by Steve Hindalong and Marc Byrd.  It was originally recorded on the multi-artist cd CITY ON A HILL: SONGS OF WORSHIP AND PRAISE (2000).  On the live version here, Michael Tait, formerly of dc talk, joins Third Day.  It is a modern anthem of praise that nature lovers will appreciate: “Lord of all creation/Of water, earth, and sky/The heavens are Your tabernacle/Glory to the Lord on high/God of wonders beyond our galaxy/You are holy, holy/The universe declares Your majesty/You are holy, holy/Lord of Heaven and Earth (2X)”.

Musically ‘May Your Wonders Never Cease’ is Southern Rock.  The lyrics are a direct prayer: “May Your wonders never cease/May Your Spirit never leave/May we ever long to see Your face/When we’ve turned from You again/Oh how quickly we forget/May we be reminded of Your grace/May Your wonders never cease”.  George Cocchini plays acoustic guitar on ‘The Everlasting’.  It is a quiet song of praise: “You are the everlasting Father (You are the everlasting)/You are the everlasting Light, oh yeah/Every knee shall bow (Every knee shall bow)/Lord of mercy, we adore You now/You are the everlasting life”.

What comes next is a medley of four songs that runs over 7.5 minutes long.  It includes part of U2’s ‘With or Without You’ and Third Day’s ‘Your Love Oh Lord’.  Closing off the album is the beautiful ‘Take my Life’ from Third Day’s first album in 1996.  This song cries out to God: “How many times have I gone astray?/The number is the same as the stars in the skies/Every time You’ve taken me back/And now I pray You’ll do it tonight/Please take from me my life/When I don’t have the strength to give it away to You/Please take from me my life/When I don’t have the strength/To give it away to You, Jesus”.

OFFERINGS II: ALL I HAVE TO GIVE is at the same time a great rock music record and a great worship record.  These are songs sung with passion and feeling!  The audience participation on the live tracks is enthusiastic.  God is truly glorified on each track.  The lyrics point to Him as our Maker, Redeemer, and Sustainer.  Additional musicians used are: Scotty Wilbanks (B3, piano), Monroe Jones (keyboards, piano), and Ken Lewis (percussion).  Additional vocalists include: Geof Barkley, Michael Mellett, and a small choir that includes Kim Keyes and Chris Rodriguez.  This is truly a worship album full of life and energy!  It does not fit into any formula.  It is honest and sincere.  I’m rating this one 95%.  For more info visit: www.thirdday.com.