Wednesday, November 21, 2018

COME ALONG


Soulbreather describe themselves as "ambient indie folk rock for believers". Husband and wife duo Mark Gersmehl (WhiteHeart) and Brynn Gersmehl (Rachel Rachel) make up this duo. Mark goes by 'gersh' by the way. In 2012 they released their debut album SEVEN POINT EIGHT and in 2014 they released ALMOST INSTRUMENTAL. Fast forward to 2018 and they are back with COME ALONG, dedicated to their now deceased beagle, Hammy. Most of the songs here were written by Brynn and gersh during a week in the winter at a friend's cottage on Lake George. Brynn is responsible for acoustic guitar and vocals, while gersh is responsible for keyboards, drums and percussion, programming, and vocals. Mark Hill also adds his guitar talents, as does a former WhiteHeart member, which you'll see if you keep reading.

First up is the atmospheric pop ballad 'Come Along'. This title track is terrific and is a song of spiritual invitation: "I'm going to a land of peace/Come along with me/I'm going to find release/Come along with me/I'm going to a secret place/Come along with me/I'm going to seek His face/Come along with me". 'Over the Edge' is a moving adult contemporary number about placing oneself totally in God's hands: "Now the waters rise and fall/But there's a reason for it all/I am trusting You with my survival/And as I am letting go/I can feel the healing flow/You are leading me to my revival". 'God is Love' is a co-write between Gordon Kennedy and gersh. Kennedy plays electric guitar and sitar on this pleasant praise and worship number: "Gloria in excelsis deo/Sing with the angels and say so/Glory to God/He is love/Praise Him/His mercy is deep as the oceans/Towering steep as the mountains/Glory to God/He is love".

Next up is 'To Be With You', a reverent ballad desiring intimacy with God: "How far would I go to be with You/And feel the healing glow/To be with You/And let my spirit flow/Into the sea of You/I want to be with You (2X)/Oh, I want to be". 'On the Journey Home' is an easy listening, romantic love song: "Here, here we are again/The very best of friends/Seems as if no time has even passed/The room is warm with light/We could stay all night/Make each and every moment last/We're sharing together/A life that is better than we were hoping for". 'Wishing Well' is a call to come to Christ: "You don't want to be alone/But the love you've known has come and gone like the setting sun/But I, I want to let you know/Living Water's flowing/It doesn't matter all the things you've done.../If you come and drink it in/You will never thirst again".

'Go' is a quiet ballad that is prayerful: "I'll follow where Your light has shown/By myself but not alone/And I will let You lead this dance/Nothing will be left to chance/I want to go (4X)". This is followed by 'How the Light Comes Down', an easy listening ballad about heaven coming down to earth: "When the One True Light is on my face/Then everywhere I go's a sacred space/And the world is gonna be a better place/They'll see (2X)". Last up is 'Opening Wide', a song of testimony: "I can feel Your presence filling this place/Your splendor and Your majesty/And when I look upon Your beautiful face/You're changing me/Veil after veil is falling away/And what I couldn't see before/Is shining in the light of Your glorious day/And I want more".

COME ALONG is simply a spectacular album! Brynn's sweet vocals mesh well with gersh's hauntingly compelling vocals. The music presented on these nine songs is soothing, calming, and relaxing. The lyrics are devotional and meditative. It is clear that this husband/wife duo's relationship is anchored by Jesus Christ. In Him they find their meaning and their peace. The lyrics on this album make it clear they want others to give their lives over to God as well and find out who they truly are. I'm rating COME ALONG a perfect 100%. The album photography by Deby Dearman is beautiful. For more info visit www.soulbreather.com and/or connect with them on Facebook.