Saturday, November 24, 2018

WOVEN & SPUN


Nichole Ellyse Nordeman was born on January 3, 1972 and raised in Colorado Springs, Colorado. She put out her debut album, WIDE EYED, in 1998. All four singles from it, including 'To Know You', became Top 40 hits on Christian adult contemporary radio, according to Wikipedia.org. Her second album was 2000's THIS MYSTERY. What I am reviewing here is her third album, WOVEN & SPUN, which came out on Sparrow Records in 2002. It was produced by Charlie Peacock and Mark Hammond and executive produced by Brad O'Donnell. Reflecting on the album, Nichole writes: "These songs beckoned to me. Ushered me in to a place of deep reflection...I pray that this music will beckon to you as well. To your knees before the Father. And into the arms of His Son...To behold alongside you, the most befuddling, jaw-dropping kind of Goodness ever".

First up is 'Holy', one of two co-writes between Nichole and Mark Hammond. This pop song praises God: "And all You ever wanted/Only me, on my knees/Singing 'Holy, holy'/Somehow all that matters now is/You are holy, holy/Holy, holy". 'Mercies New' is one of two co-writes between Nichole and Charlie Peacock. Scott Dente plays acoustic guitar, while Bebo Norman and Nirva Dorsayint provide backing vocals on the adult contemporary track. It celebrates God's goodness: "And Your mercies are new every morning/So let me wake with the dawn/When the music is through or so it seems to be/Then let me sing a new song, old things gone/Every day it's true/You make all Your mercies new".

'Healed' is one of six songs solely penned by Nichole. This adult contemporary song uses The Love Sponge String Orchestra and speaks of our need for God: "Passed over and passed by until You claim us/Orphaned and abandoned til You name us/Hidden and disclosed til You expose our hearts/By Your death we live/It is by Your gift that we might give/That we might give/And by Your wounds we are healed". Nichole plays piano and David Larring mandolin on 'Legacy'. It's an adult contemporary song that speaks of living for more than today: "In the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides the temporary trappings of this world/I want to leave a legacy/How will they remember me?/Did I choose to love?/Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things?/I want to leave an offering/A child of mercy and grace/Who blessed Your Name unapologetically/And leave that kind of legacy".

Piano, violins, and cello are used on the easy listening number 'I Am'. It's addressed to God: "And when I am weak, unable to speak/Still I will call You by Name/Oh, Shepherd, Savior, Pasture Maker/Hold on to my hand/You say 'I Am'". Next up is a cover of Peter Gabriel's #1 hit 'In Your Eyes' from his 1986 album SO. This cover version finds Charlie Peacock on background vocals and piano. It's not as good as the original. It is a love song: "In your eyes/The light, the heat/In your eyes I am complete/I see the doorway to a thousand churches/In your eyes/The resolution of all the fruitless searches".

'Even Then' is about being honest with Christ: "So I put aside the masquerade and admit that I am not okay/Which may not be the thing to say/But I'm not ashamed to need You more each day/So, thank You Jesus/Even when You see us just as we are/Fragile and frail and so far/From who we want to be". Kenny Greenberg and Jerry McPherson play guitars, and Mark Hill plays bass on 'Never Loved You More'. It's a breezy, upbeat pop song with a fairly simple chorus: "I have never loved You more/Cause You have never loved me less/Than the day before or the day before/I have never loved You more".

'Take Me As I Am' is a song of spiritual surrender: "You're the only one that can take me as I am/At the end of myself/And the end of the day/I can find little else/But the courage to say/'I need You, that's all' (2X)". 'Doxology' runs under a minute, is acappella, and features these familiar words: "Praise God from whom all blessings flow/Praise Him all creatures here below/Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts/Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost".

Violins and cello are used on the adult contemporary ballad 'My Offering', on which Bebo Norman and Nirva Dorsayint sing backing vocals. It's a beautiful song of praise: "Open up the heavens, open up the skies/All of Your creation wants to testify/I have a song so let the earth sing along/Cause I just want to praise You". Last up is 'Gratitude', on which Gary Burnette plays electric guitar and Danny O'Lannerghty, the upright bass. It includes these prayerful words: "Daily bread, give us daily bread/Bless our bodies/Keep our children fed/Fill our cups, then fill them up again tonight/Wrap us up and warm us through/Tucked away beneath our sturdy roofs/Let us slumber safe from danger's view this time/Or maybe not, not today/Maybe You'll provide in other ways".

Nichole shares: "This record is dedicated to my best friend and husband, Errol. Very few people will every fully know and understand the level of sacrifice and love you have offered me over these last months". Whereas Nichole's previous album found her struggling and wrestling with doubts and questions about God and life, WOVEN & SPUN definitely finds her more at peace. She praises God for His holiness, mercy, healing, and faithfulness. She thanks God for loving us as we are and for being trustworthy. She expresses her love for God and her desire to leave a Christian legacy to those who follow after her. Light pop and adult contemporary sounds make up this record which is on the quiet and reflective side of things. I would have liked a couple more faster songs included that had more energy. Still, I'm rating WOVEN & SPUN 88%. For more info visit www.nicholenordeman.com or connect with her on social media.