Monday, November 19, 2018

DEEPER LIFE


Natalie Diane Grant was born on December 21, 1971 in Seattle, Washington. Her self-titled debut album came out in 1999. She followed this up with 2001's STRONGER. Her third album was 2003's DEEPER LIFE (Curb), which I'll be reviewing here. It peaked at #25 on the US Billboard Christian Albums chart.

First up is the title track, 'Deeper Life', written by Christine Dente and Jim Cooper. It's a peppy pop/dance song that uses a choir and clappers. On it, Natalie sings of her true desires: "It's a Kingdom and it's hidden deep inside/I will be living for much more than meets the eye/Cause I need the deeper life/Where the love of God runs far and wide/I need the deeper life/I will give Him all my heart and mind/I won't be swept away by every changing tide/I believe in the deeper life". 'Days Like These' is a light pop song featuring The Nashville String Machine. It's a song of gratitude: "Days like these, so graceful that I'm falling/On my knees and thanking God/For all the little things that make me wanna say/'How I wish I had a million days like these'".

Bernie Herms and Lowell Alexander wrote 'Love Without Limits'. Michael Ripoll plays the nylon guitar and horns are used also on this catchy pop/dance song that praises God: "He loves without limits/Sees us every minute/Wherever we are walking, He is near/His Spirit is relentless/His hope for us is endless/I know, I know/He loves without limits". 'Within Me' is an adult contemporary ballad of testimony: "Within me/You wiped away all my tears/There's nothing to fear/Your love's within me/You give me the strength to believe/All that I am and that all I'll ever need/Is within me".

'I Will Be' is the first of five singles from the album. This cheerful adult contemporary song features The London Symphony Orchestra and these wonderful words: "One heart, one voice/Living out love in this world of noise/My dream and my joy/Giving You all, I have made a choice/Desperately I'm wanting to answer to Your calling/I will be a candle in the darkness/I will be the hand of heaven above/I will be a mirror that reflects Your endless love". Nichole co-wrote 'Always Be Your Baby' with Stephanie Lewis and George Teren. It's dedicated to her father, Arnold. It's a tender ballad: "Your faith, your love/And all that you believe/Have come to be the strongest part of me/And I will always be your baby".

Next up is 'That's When I'll Give Up (On Loving You)', an upbeat pop love song: "When the earth is finished spinning around/When it's raining up instead of down/When a dream can't come true/When the rivers all run out of blue/That's when I'll give up on loving you". 'Salvation' is one of two songs on the record solely penned by Natalie. This R&B song finds her sharing the Good News: "Come on and sit next to me/I'll tell you 'bout a Man who can set you free/Died when He was thirty-three/He gave His life on Calvary/It's undeniable/His page in history/So incredible/This human deity".

'I Desire' was written by Natalie, Bernie Herms, and Cindy Morgan. It's a praise and worship ballad: "The one thing I desire is just to know You more/To live a life that moves and breathes and loves to bring you joy/So fill me with a fire that burns away my doubts and all my fears/Into a place where You are all I hear/It's the one thing I desire/To do what You require is the one thing I desire". A choir and The Love Sponge Strings are used.  'Live For Today' was the last of the album's five singles. It's a pop song of one living with a purpose: "I'm gonna live for today/I'm gonna follow in Your way/I'm gonna let my little light shine like there's no tomorrow/I won't worry about the past/I know my future is intact/So I'll choose to live my life one way/I'm gonna live it for today".

Tim Davis, Michelle Swift, and Lisa Cochran provide backing vocals on 'I Am Not Alone'. This adult contemporary ballad speaks to God's faithfulness: "You walk beside me/Giving strength I've never known/And I am not alone/You walk beside me/I am not alone/Wherever the road leads". Last up is the Bonus Track, 'No Sign of It' (The Humberto Gatica Radio Mix), from the film 'View from the Top'. It includes these words of positivity: "No sign of any rain/My skies are clear today/I keep bracing for that hit/But there's no sign of it/No obstacles in sight/My skies are clear tonight/I keep thinking I might see that cloud arrive/Oh, but there's no sign of it/No sign of it".

In the liner notes Natalie writes: "First and foremost, thank You, Jesus, for loving me. You've entrusted me with so much. I pray You are pleased. This is all about You". The music on this album can largely be divided into two categories-pop/dance, and adult contemporary. There are an equal number of fast and slow songs. Natalie celebrates life and being alive, and God's love for us. She desires to have an intimate, vibrant relationship with Him. She wants to share God's love with the world. There's also a standout love song addressed to her Dad. I'm rating DEEPER LIFE 97% and recommending it to fans of Tammy Trent, Michael English, and Jaci Velasquez. There are several pretty pictures of Natalie included with this CD. For more info visit www.nataliegrant.com or connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.