Sunday, July 14, 2019

BORN AGAIN


Pete Orta was born on August 26, 1971 in Port Lavaca, Texas. He was a guitarist for Petra from 1996-2000. During that time I saw the band in London, Ontario on the Petra Praise 2 tour. Pete's also played guitar for Jaci Velasquez. In 2001 Pete released his solo debut, BORN AGAIN (Word). It was produced by Chris Rodriquez and Peter Kipley and executive produced by Judith Volz. Orta shares this in the liner notes: "This album is a musical outpouring of what God has done in my life..."

Desmond Child and Robbie Seidman wrote the opening pop/rock track 'You Make Me Feel'. It testifies: "When every little thing I do seems like it's meaningless/And my soul becomes consumed with doubt and emptiness/You know just how to touch me/You raise me from the dead/Oh, the way that You love me, love me/I believe (2X)/You make me feel something beautiful/You make me feel something real". Chris Rodriguez and Melody Chambers sing backing vocals on 'I See Love'. This pop ballad serves as a prayer: "Baptize me in the sea of forever gone/Take my sins/Completely cleanse all my wrongs/I see grace in Your face/When You look at me/I see love/Your soft love".

'Tomorrow's Sun' is a pop/dance track making use of the Roy G. Biv String Vibe. It's about giving oneself completely to God: "I'm making the choice to give my life away/I'll follow Your voice/Into another day/I'm not looking back/I'm leaving the ground.../Your strength is moving me somehow/I can do all things through You now". 'Use Me' is one of 3 selections solely penned by Pete Orta. It's an R & B song of one wanting to be a vessel: "Use me, use me/I will give my all/And I'll shake the ground/With a holy sound/All the walls will fall".

'Born Again' was penned by Natalie Hemby and Jay Joyce and was nominated for a Dove for 'Rock Recorded Song of the Year'. It's a joyful pop song about life transformation: "I was a dirty, messed up, little crazy kid/A runaway child in a bottomless pit.../I'm born again/I'm a new creation/I'm born again/I'm a new sensation". It's catchy! Abel Orta provides backing vocals on 'Something New'. It's a pop ballad about God's faithfulness: "Sometimes I fall, sometimes I fly/But You have been there to catch me/Every time/Sometimes I start/Sometimes I stall/But You have been right beside me/Through it all".

On 'Beautiful' Tim Akers plays piano and Dan Needham plays drums. It's a tender song of praise and worship: "I see Your world and it's so pretty/I see beautiful in You/Beautiful in Your world/Beautiful in You/Beautiful/When You touched my blind eyes/You brought breath to my soul". 'Broken' includes these opening lines which I like: "It's my cross/Where Your heart has bled/As my pride/Crowned Your lovely head/So take my wrongs and set a sinner free/Let these tears be the Jordan for me".

Chris Eaton and Ralph Van Manen co-wrote 'Shine'. It's an adult contemporary song of encouragement: "Sometimes the day seems like the night/Don't let the shadows cover the light/You've got to shine/Always let the flame burn so high/Cause when you shine/You set the world on fire". Last up is 'Liberty', a pop song of testimony: "I don't need these chains/I was meant to fly.../God has given life inside of me/And when I'm down I still believe/That's how I know I'm free (2X)".

BORN AGAIN is a really good CCM album that includes pop, rock, dance, R & B, adult contemporary, and praise and worship sounds. The main topic covered is the fact that Christ offers us hope and new life via Calvary. We can throw off our old man so to speak. We can delight ourselves in the Lord. He is faithful to us, forgiving  us when we sin and confess, and He helps us be a witness to the world. Pete's got a great voice! I'd like to hear a second solo album from him. For more info visit www.peteorta.com and connect with him on social media. I give this album an 88%.