Sunday, July 28, 2019

TURN UP THE MUSIC-THE HITS OF POINT OF GRACE


In 2011 Christian music superstars Point of Grace released their second greatest hits project, TURN UP THE MUSIC-THE HITS OF POINT OF GRACE (Word/Curb). In the liner notes they write: "Gratitude is the best word to describe how we feel about our fans. You continue to show up and bless us with your stories and smiles".

Starting things off is the Christa N. Wells/Tiffany Arbuckle Lee composition 'Day By Day'. It's a great praise and worship song: "Day by day, You're coming closer/Making our way clearer and straighter/Turning our faces into the light/And I can't wait to fall at Your glory/On my face/God of the morning/You're coming closer day by day". 'Circle of Friends' is about fellowship: "I spent so many lonely years just trying to fit in/Now I've found a place in this circle of friends/In a circle of friends we have one Father/In a circle of friends we share this prayer/That every orphaned soul will know and all will enter in/To the shelter of this circle of friends". An acoustic version of 'How You Live (Turn Up the Music)' is next. Cindy Morgan wrote it and it's about truly living: "Turn up the music, turn it up loud/Take a few chances, let it all out/You won't regret it/Lookin' back from where you have been/It's not who you knew and it's not what you did/It's how you live".

'Blue Skies' is an adult contemporary ballad addressed to God: "Lord, the sky's so blue/For my hope is in You/You're my joy/You're the dream that's still alive/Like the wind at my back and the sun on my face/You are life, You're grace/You are blue skies/You're my blue skies". One of my faves, 'The Great Divide', follows. It was penned by Grant Cunningham and Matt Huesmann. It speaks of God's great love for us: "There's a bridge to cross the great divide/A way was made to reach the other side/The mercy of the Father cost His Son His life/His love is deep, His love is wide/There's a cross to bridge the great divide/The cross that cost my Lord His life has given me mine". 'I Wish' is a nice country song. I like these lyrics: "I wish there was a cure for cancer/Wish somebody had an answer/And all God's children never got hurt/I wish Eve never bit that apple/Young men never went to battle/And I didn't get so mad at the world/I wish I was more like Jesus and could pick up all the pieces/And make a better life for my baby girl".

Paul Alan wrote 'Come to Jesus', an inspiring song: "We all fall down/We all need saving once in a while/You are not alone/We all lose faith and lean on mercy but through our darkest night/He said He'd wait for us/Come to Jesus". Robert Sterling and John Mandeville co-wrote one of the group's signature anthems, 'Jesus Will Still Be There'. It speaks of God's loyalty to us: "Jesus will still be there/His love will never change/Sure as the steady rain/Jesus will still be there/When no one else is true/He'll still be loving you/When it looks like you've lost it all/And you haven't got a prayer/Jesus will still be there". 'Who Am I' is a light pop song reflecting on the greatness of God: "Who am I to understand Your ways?/Who am I to give You anything but praise?/Who am I to try to solve the mystery behind the heart and soul of all that I believe?/Who am I?"

'I Choose You' was the title track of Point of Grace's 2004 album. It's a song of spiritual devotion: "And I choose You/All my attention, affection/And all my devotion's for You.../Before I chose You, You first chose me/I worship You, You alone are worthy/You are worthy". 'God is With Us' is an adult contemporary song about how God never leaves us: "Though the night is long and the river's strong/Still God is with us/We can stem the tide/Reach the other side/For God is with us". Cindy Morgan wrote 'King of the World' and Brown Bannister produced it. It's a sentimental ballad about the sweet relationship between a girl and her Dad over the years.

'Love and Laundry' is a good country song that comments on how busy we are today: "Oh, I wish that there were more than 24 hours in a day/I haven't found it yet, but there's got to be a way/And I keep praying that I can get everything done/And still have time for love and a load of laundry". Marshall Hall, Sam Mizell, and Antonio Neal wrote 'There is Nothing Greater Than Grace'. It's a slow ballad of encouragement: "There is no valley, there is no darkness/There is no sorrow greater than the grace Jesus". Last up is a new recording. It's in response to the 9/11 attacks. Don Henley and Glen Lewis Frey wrote it and the Eagles released it in 2003. It's called 'Hole in the World' and is slow country. This is the chorus: "There's a hole in the world tonight/There's a cloud of fear and sorrow/There's a hole in the world tonight/Don't let there be a hole in the world tomorrow".

I'm rating TURN UP THE MUSIC: THE HITS OF POINT OF GRACE an 87%. I'd rate it a bit higher if there were a few more faster numbers on it. There are ten adult contemporary, three country, and two pop songs presented here. The vocals are great. God's goodness and faithfulness are celebrated. He gives us salvation, mercy, and grace, through Calvary. Intimacy with God is to be treasured. The ladies also sing about everyday life and living it to the fullest. For more info visit www.pointofgrace.net and connect with them on social media.