Friday, September 27, 2019

IT WON`T BE LONG




Before forming Christian metal band Shout, Ken Tamplin was in Joshua and Chuck King was with Idle Cure. Shout released their debut album, IT WON`T BE LONG, in 1988 on Frontline Records. Lanny Cordola and Dennis Holt were among the studio musicians used.

The rocker 'Never Stop', which includes a great electric guitar solo, starts things off and is about determination: "Can't you see, oh, that I'm racing time?/It's on with the goal, another uphill climb/Follow the heart, satisfy the soul/I'm moving on, heading along, well you know/In time it'll all work out/I know you know what I'm talking about/Never stop, never stop running/Never gonna stop, nothing's gonna stop us now". 'Winners or Losers' is a melodic rock anthem about unity: "In God's eyes, winners or losers, we're all the same/Can we try loving each other without all the blame?/Oh, let's hold, hold on forever to words of love/And I know, Lord it will show". The title track, 'It Won't Be Long', rocks and anticipates the future: "Won't be long, when all will be made known/Won't be long, yeah, we'll face it one by one/Won't be long, give you hope to carry on/Won't be long/Are you ready?/No, it won't be long/All the clouds roll back and we'll be gone/Yeah, we'll face it one by one/Oh, come on and sing along".

'Find A Way' is a heavenly love ballad: "As I recall the years that all slipped by/I can't deny my foolish pride/Someday I'll hold You forever, never let go/Lord, I'll be Yours (2X)/Love, I know will find a way/Don't make me wait/We'll sail away, sail away".  'Dancin' Round the World' is a party song: "Everywhere you look they're dancin' 'round the world/They can't get enough, oh no, what they call rock and roll/Ain't no surprise to me/I love to play and sing/Get in the rhythm and we'll let those guitars ring/There's grooving, dancing to the beat tonight/Oh, and we will set those feet to flight". 'Shout' is a terrific rocker about overcoming: "We won't take it/Lord, we've gotta shake it/Running for our lives/We'll raise our voices so loud and clear/Like thunder and lightning for all to hear/Shout it out, never let it take you down/Shout it out, live, it's what it's all about".

Up next is 'Showdown' which deals with the end times: "Showdown is coming around/Running for cover when the trumpets all sound/Yeah, a ghost town is what'll be found/Searching for ways to blame it on another/Showdown's making its rounds, like a thief in the night/Where will you be found?/Ghost town died with a sound/We better slow down". 'Timeless Love' is addressed to God: "You never failed/Oh, how Your love prevailed/Nothing I could say/I want to be with You someday/I cry at night needing just to hear from You/But in the morning, always come through, oh You do". Last up is 'Without You', a rock song of testimony: "Without Your love/I know I'm never gonna make it home/Without Your love, I'll be alone/Can't imagine a thing that could replace it, oh no/If I had tried, I'd be kidding myself/Let's face it, oh".

IT WON'T BE LONG is one heck of a good rock/metal album that points to God as the giver and sustainer of life. He never fails us and truly cares about our well-being. He hears us when we talk to Him. His praises on this album are powerfully delivered by Ken Tamplin's superb vocals, and some top notch electric guitar work. I'm rating this album 90% and recommending it to fans of Stryper and Guardian. Collectors will appreciate a 1987 four song demo included on the 2019 Girder Records re-release of the album. There are also several great pics included with this project. For more info visit www.boonesoverstock.com and www.kentamplinvocalacademy.com.