Monday, September 02, 2019

WE BELIEVE


Steve Green was born in Portland, Oregon on August 1, 1956. He put out his self-titled debut solo album in 1984. Over the next few years he became well known for such inspirational songs as 'He Holds the Keys' and 'The Mission'. In 1991 he released his eight studio record, WE BELIEVE (Sparrow). It was produced by Greg Nelson. In the liner notes Steve shares: "With gratitude for those God has used to mold and shape my life..."

First up is the beautiful ballad 'All Across the Sky'. It's a song of praise: "His love is written all across the sky/As brilliantly the stars all testify/For the glory of the God who reigns on high/Is displayed in the world He has made". It was written by Jon Mohr and Michael W. Smith. 'Sing Children Sing' is an inspirational song desiring intimacy with God: "Father, Abba Father/We humbly come before You/Hear us and draw near us/As children at rest in Your arms/We find peace and safety secure from all fear and alarm/Sing children sing, let all His children sing".

The title track is 'We Believe', penned by Nathan DiGesare and Dan Scott. It's an anthem of great faith: "We believe in the Spirit who makes believers one/Our hearts are filled with His presence/The Comforter has come/The kingdom unfolds in His plan/Unhindered by quarrels of man/His church upheld by His hand/We believe". 'I Will Serve the Lord' speaks of martyrdom: "And though their journey led them/Through the shadowlands of death/The song of their commitment/They rehearsed with every breath/'I will serve the Lord/I will serve the Lord my God/And if God should choose and my life I lose/Though my foe may slay me/I will serve the Lord'".

Kelly Willard wrote 'Hidden Valleys', an inspirational ballad that speaks of the benefits of going through troubles and trials: "Hidden valleys produce a life song/Hidden valleys will make a heart strong/Desperation can cause you to sing/Hidden valleys turn shepherds into kings". 'Heaven' is one of four songs composed by Jon Mohr and Randall Dennis. It anticipates the future: "One day I'll complete my journey/I'll arrive at my destination/A city like no one living has ever known/The Spirit at work within me/Creates such an awesome hunger/To finish the race and turn for home".

'Let the Walls Come Down' uses strings and is almost six minutes long. I quite like these strong words: "Walls not born of government nor strife amid the nations/But walls within our churches and between denominations/Stones of dry tradition carved in fear and laid in pride/Become a dismal prison to those withering inside/Let the walls come down (2X)". 'Search Me, Oh God' serves as a quiet prayer: "Search me, oh God/Reveal my heart/Expose my sin that it may be confessed/Search me, oh God/Unveil each thought/And leave no hidden motive unaddressed/Uncover every action born in pride/Show me the worldly ways I still embrace".

'I Am The Vine' is a cheery sounding, upbeat song of spiritual wisdom: "I am the Vine/You are the branches/And if You remain in Me/Fruit will abound, abundant in measure/Come, children, taste and see!" Closing off the album is a medley of 'A Chasing of the Wind/Why Do We Live Without Jesus'. Witness these words: "Apart from the Vine/A branch bears no fruit/For Christ is the source of all life/And all He demands/As we keep His commands/Is to faithfully cling to the Vine".

With the exception of one song, WE BELIEVE, is an inspirational, easy listening album of ballads. It's a good album to wind down and relax to. It will help you draw near to God and enjoy all He is and all He has to offer. It brings attention to how empty life without God is and how full and vibrant our lives can be with God in them. He is to be praised for His love, creation, and peace, and for keeping us safe in His arms. Unity in the body of believers in Christ is encouraged, as is endurance through trials that can help us grow. I'm rating this album 96%. For more info visit www.stevegreenministries.org and/or connect with him on social media.