Sunday, October 07, 2018

CONVERSATIONS


Sara Lee Colbaugh, who we know as Sara Groves, was born on September 10, 1972. According to Wikipedia.org, in 1994 she got her Bachelor of Science degree in History and English from Evangel University in Missouri. She was a high school teacher for four years in Rosemount, Minnesota. In 1998 she independently released her debut album, PAST THE WISHING. Fast forward to 2001 and INO Records released her CONVERSATIONS project. Sara wrote all the songs and the album was produced by Nate Sabin. Sara dedicates this album to her husband Troy, her "partner in everything".

Jeffrey Roach plays piano and Peter Ostroushko the mandolin, on the adult contemporary title track, 'Conversations'. It includes these beautiful words: "And I'm not trying to judge you/No, that's not my job/I am just a seeker too/In search of God.../The only thing that isn't meaningless to me/Is Jesus Christ and the way He set me free/And this is all that I have/This is all that I am/It's all that I have". 'The Word' is a terrific pop song that begins with confession: "I've done every devotional/Been every place emotional/Trying to hear a new word from God/And I think it's very odd/That while I attempt to help myself/My Bible sits upon the shelf/With every promise I could ever need/And the Word was/And the Word is/And the Word will be".

'Painting Pictures of Egypt' is a wonderful, thoughtful adult contemporary song: "I've been painting pictures of Egypt/Leaving out what it lacks/The future feels so hard/And I want to go back/But the places that used to fit me/Cannot hold the things I've learned/Those roads were closed off to me/While my back was turned". 'Hello Lord' quietly petitions God: "I don't doubt Your sovereignty/I doubt my own ability to hear what You're saying/And to do the right thing/And I desperately want to do the right thing/But right now I don't hear so well/And I was wondering if You could speak up".

'Generations' is a light pop song about the importance of our actions: "And to say that the devil made me do it/Is a cop out and a lie/The devil can't make me do anything/When I'm calling on Jesus Christ/Remind me of this with every decision/Generations will reap what I sow/I can pass on a curse or a blessing/To those I will never know". 'This Journey is My Own' was inspired by John Ortberg's book THE LIFE YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED. This inspirational song is one of introspection: "So much of what I do is to make a good impression/This journey is my own/And so much of what I say is to make myself look better/But this journey is my own/And why would I want to live for man, and pay the highest price?/And what does it mean to gain a whole world, only to lose my life?"

Matt Pierson plays bass on `How is it Between Us`, an adult pop song about our need for Christ in our daily lives: `When I wake up I am on my way/Reinventing the wheel and saving the day/I have learned this lesson a thousand times/I am the branch and You are the vine/Apart from You we are mice and men/With our fancy dreams of grandeur and no way to get there/Oh, I can think about You now and then/Or I can make a mark on eternity/Lord, first of all, how is it between You and me?" 'What Do I Know' is a beautiful, easy listening story song that uses cello, viola, and violin: "She lost her husband after sixty years/And as he slipped away she still had things to say/Death can be so inconvenient/You try to live and love/It comes and interrupts/And what do I know?/What do I know?/Well, I don't know that there are harps in heaven/Or the process for earning your wings/And I don't know of bright lights at the ends of tunnels or any of these things".

Peter Ostroushko plays fiddle on 'Cave of Adullum'. It's about David: "I need to know You're near me/I need to know You are holding me just as closely as the day You took my life and gave me a vision/As the day You poured the oil and gave me a dream/I can't believe this is happening/How does a shepherd become a king?" Gary Burnett plays guitar. 'Know My Heart' is a folk song with a prayerful chorus: "Search me and know my heart, oh God/See if there is any wrong thing in me/All I have ever wanted are clean hands and a pure heart".

Sara longs for heaven on the quiet ballad 'Going Home'. She sings: "There's a feeling I can't capture/It's always just a prayer away/I want to know the ending/Things hoped for but not seen/But I guess that's the point of hoping anyway/Of going home, I'll meet You at the table/Going home, I'll meet You in the air/And You are never too young to think about it/Oh, I cannot wait to be home". Sara plays piano and Solveg Peterson the cello on 'He's Always Been Faithful'. It's a song of testimony: "I can't remember a trial or a pain/He did not recycle to bring me gain/I can't remember one single regret/In serving God only and trusting His hand/All I have need of, His hand will provide/He's always been faithful to me". Last up is a live version of 'Tent in the Center of Town', dedicated to Pastor Philip Wannemacher. It was recorded at Apostolic Bible Church on July 25, 1999. The music has a circus like feel to it, but it's a song about God moving: "And revival hits like a wave/And hundreds are joyously saved/And the thief and adulterer lay it all on the altar/Cause there's grace in the center of town".

CONVERSATIONS is a creative and artistic endeavor from Sara Groves. There is nothing fancy or frilly about her, but her self-penned songs have a way of speaking to the heart. This album, which is comprised of light pop, adult contemporary, and folk/easy listening music, depicts life as a journey. By times we are tempted to sin or to try to please other people, but our true identity can only be found in God. He is faithful to us and wants to speak through His Word and have an intimate relationship with us. Also, our hope of heaven is celebrated in a couple of the songs here. This is a lengthy record, clocking in at 58 minutes and 44 seconds. I'm rating it 100% and recommending it to fans of Twila Paris, Michael Card, and Sarah McLachlan. For more info visit: www.saragroves.com.