Thursday, October 18, 2018

GOOD THINGS


In November 2017 The Proverbs, one of my all-time favourite groups from Ontario, released their latest album GOOD THINGS as a quartet-Dave Daw, his wife Kathy, their youngest daughter Natasha, and Dave's sister Karyl Tymciw. Shortly after this Karyl resigned due to health issues. A press release states: "Our decision to re-record our album became unavoidable; since this project was originally arranged to include all of us, so without changes, we would have only been able to perform a few of the songs from the CD with our current group...Vocals on some songs have been completely redone in new keys, and all solos are now covered by either Kathy, Natasha, or me" writes Dave Daw. Karyl does provide some backing vocals though. The revised edition of GOOD THINGS dropped in July 2018.

Kathy takes the lead on 'Good Things Are Happening', a bouncy pop number overflowing with optimism: "Good things are happening/I don't have to worry about anything/Cause God's sending blessings down my way/I can lift my head up high/Cause He has promised He will provide/Good things are happening today". Dave takes the lead on the Southern Gospel ballad 'He Already Knows'. It's encouraging: "Whenever circumstances won't allow your heart a moments rest and you shudder just to face another night/But in your darkest hour/You can rest assured He knows what is best/And everything will be alright".

'Waste Another Day' is a song about dedicating oneself to Christ: "I don't want to waste another day, not one minute, if You're not in it/Jesus, You're the only reason that I live/So I'm giving You my all, surrendering/My life, my love, my everything/I don't want to waste another day (2X)". The Southern Gospel toe-tapper 'I've Got My Foot on the Rock' follows. It talks of spiritual warfare: "Now the devil, he will tempt you/He'll fill your way with strife/He'll make you sick in body, even try to take your life/But put your trust in Jesus/Say 'Lord, I've had enough'/The Lord will say 'Move on Satan'/He's got his mind made up".

'So Many Nights' finds the group in adult contemporary territory musically. It includes these very relatable lyrics: "I've been forgiven a long time ago/But somehow I kept pickin' up the guilt again/Never would leave it at Jesus' feet/Thought if I was good I could impress Him". Another adult contemporary track is up next. It's a smooth ballad called 'Ready to Sail'. You can hear Natasha more here. The song sees life as a journey: "If this ship is gonna make it/We're going to have to take it to the water/For I'll never know Your purpose standing here alone on the shore".

'Lamb, Lion & King' is a fast paced honky tonk tune that's under 3 minutes in length. It reflects on Christ as Victor: "You know Jesus left His splendor to live on earth for man/By most He was rejected because He came forth as a Lamb/Oh, but the day is soon approaching that every eye will see/The Lamb and Lion of Judah has been crowned, church/The King of Kings". Natasha sings lead on the beautiful ballad 'Here's My Everything'. It's a testimonial: "You formed me with Your holy hands before my birth/You planned Your perfect purpose for me on this earth/I want to be all that You created me to be/Cause for all You've done You deserve the glory".

Track Nine, 'Jesus is in the House', is a jazz/pop one inspiring faith: "Tear off your roof of fear/Tear off your roof of doubt/Lay down your problems/Jesus is in the house/Tear off your roof of pain/It's time to lay it down/It's gonna be alright/Jesus is in the house". 'Living for Heaven' is a Southern Gospel ballad about eternal life: "You won't hear him talk of crowns or trophies/That's not the reason for the race he's run/But the hope of one day soon the sound of Jesus saying 'My child, 'Well done!'" Closing things out is 'Almost Home', a catchy Southern Gospel song anticipating life in our heavenly, eternal abode: "Won't you listen to that heavenly choir singing the song for the redeemed/The crowd's getting so excited/It will be more than a dream/Well, you might find me running up and down those streets of gold/In my brand new body/Oh, the half has not been told!"

We live in a world full of political tension, racism, and debate over moral issues. We also are susceptible to sickness, financial issues, and relationship problems. On GOOD THINGS, The Proverbs, who have been putting out gospel music for 50 plus years, offer hope that is found only in Christ Jesus. He is the Friend that sticketh closer than a brother. The vocals here are terrific, as is the musicianship, including a horn section arranged by Dave Barton. This album is nominated for a GMA Canada Award in the 'Country/Southern Gospel Album of the Year' category. For more info visit www.theproverbs.com and connect with them on Facebook. I'm rating GOOD THINGS 96%. The cd comes with some great photos of the group.