Tuesday, October 16, 2018

OPPOSITE WAY


Leeland Mooring wrote his first song, 'Shine', when he was 11. The Christian band Leeland, named after him, and fronted by him on lead vocals and guitars, put out their debut album SOUND OF MELODIES in 2006. It was nominated for a Grammy for 'Best Pop/Contemporary Gospel Album'. In 2007 Leeland was nominated for five Dove Awards, including 'New Artist of the Year'. In 2008 Leeland released their second album, OPPOSITE WAY (Essential). It was produced by Matt Bronleewe and executive produced by Jason McArthur. It reached #1 on the iTunes Christian Albums chart and was nominated for a Grammy for 'Best Pop/Contemporary Gospel Album' and nominated for a Dove Award for 'Praise & Worship Album of the Year'. Band members on OPPOSITE WAY, in addition to Leeland Mooring, are: Jack Mooring (piano, vocals), Jake Holtz (bass), Mike Smith (drums), and Matt Campbell (guitars).

Starting things off is 'Count Me In', an energetic rocker that peaked at #25 on Billboard's Hot Christian Songs chart. It's about willingly accepting God's love and ways: "No greater gift than a man to lay down His life/How could I miss this?/I'm not about to pass it up/Count me in, I'm amazed this love is for me Lord (2X)/I'm looking at these plans You have/For me they're plans of hope and peace/Much bigger than the ones I have". 'Let it Out Now' is one of 3 songs Leeland Dayton Mooring wrote alone. This pop/rock number is about following God when others don't: "I'm drawing the line between being them or being me/I'm not ashamed to call myself Yours, Lord/But it's a narrow path/I've got to break from the pack/No turning back (2X).../Yes, God's looking for a people/With a passion in their hearts".

'Enter this Temple' is a lovely, prayerful modern worship ballad: "Father, enter this temple/Come touch Your people/We need to be where You are/And children living as their Father/Washed in pure water/We need to be like You are". Next up is the title track, 'Opposite Way'. It's a rock ballad about not following the crowd: "You want to run the opposite way/And it seems like you're locked in a cage/And you need to find a way of escape/When everyone is setting the pace/It's okay to run the opposite way".

'Wake Up' is a pop/rock song about the need for witnessing: "The nation lost and dying/Searching for You/Creation waits/Children with the Word of God/Written in their hearts/Show love to the world/We need to wake up, wake up/Live like God/Pour out love/We need to wake up, wake up/Live like God/Pour out love". 'Beginning and the End' follows. It's a rock ballad that speaks of the crucifixion: "Everything that I've done wrong/Put You there on that cross/Where nails drove in Your hands/A crown of thorns deep in Your brow/I never knew it until now/It was all Your plan/God, You've always been/The beginning and the end".

'Brighter Days' is an adult contemporary ballad of longing: "You see I'm looking for the brighter days/When all my hurts seem to fade away/I'm looking for the brighter days to come my way/I'll see the sun one day shine upon me/I'll see the sun one day/And watch the nighttime turn to morning/But for now it all comes back around". 'Falling For You' contains these words of testimony: "It feels so good to be in Your arms/You never left me/I just chose to stay behind/I want to thank You for Your love/That gives me freedom/To run back, to come back".

'Don't Go Away' is an energetic pop/rock song about spiritual passion: "First comes salvation, then comes obsession/Fire starts with a flicker/And it consumes me/Suddenly I feel I can follow You blindly/Because You've covered my eyes with love/You've given me more than enough (2X)/Hide away in Your arms of grace/Living life the way You want me to". 'Thief in the Night' follows. It's a beautiful modern worship song: "I'll sing the glories of Your Name/Your awesomeness I will proclaim/Until You come/Until You come and take Your bride away/Like a thief in the night (2X)/You'll take us away". Last up is 'May Our Praise'. It begins: "May our praise be all that You can hear/From our lives to Your ears, Father".

OPPOSITE WAY contains seven slow songs and four faster ones. The main musical genres here are: pop, rock, and modern worship. God's love for us and faithfulness to us, His children, are celebrated. Our response should be one of love and praise to God. His plan for our lives is salvation and to prosper us. He gave His very Son for us! We should dare to be a different people. We should live for Jesus, being a light and a witness for Him. Fans of Sanctus Real, Audio Adrenaline, and Hawk Nelson should acquire OPPOSITE WAY, which I'm rating 95%. For more info visit: www.leelandonline.com or connect with the band on Facebook.