Tuesday, October 30, 2018

CRY PRETTY


Carrie Marie Underwood was born on March 10, 1983 in Oklahoma. She won the fourth season of 'American Idol' in 2005. Between 2005 and 2015 she released five studio albums. Some of her most loved songs are: 'Jesus, Take the Wheel', 'All American Girl', 'Undo It', 'Blown Away', and 'Church Bells'. Fast forward to 2018 and she has released her sixth studio album, CRY PRETTY (Capitol Records Nashville).It debuted at #1 on the US Billboard 200. The first twelve tracks were produced by David Garcia and Carrie, with the thirteenth being produced by Jim Jonsin. In the liner notes Carrie writes: "Thank You God, for the gifts You give and the opportunities You give us all to use them".

Carrie, Hillary Lindsey, Liz Rose, and Lori McKenna wrote the title track which was the album's lead single, 'Cry Pretty'. It's a powerful, autobiographical, inspirational anthem: "You can pretty lie and say it's ok/You can pretty smile and just walk away/Pretty much fake your way through anything/But you can't cry pretty/You can't turn off the flood when the dam breaks/When all your mascara is going to waste/When things get ugly/You just gotta face that you can't cry pretty". 'Ghosts on the Stereo' is a country ballad that uses pedal steel and bouzouki. On it, Carrie pays tribute to her musical predecessors: "What you don't know is I'm throwing a party/And everybody tonight is feeling alright/With some Jack in their Coke/The records are spinning and the speakers are smoking/There ain't no last call/I'm having a ball/With Hank, Haggard, and Jones/No, I ain't alone/I feel right at home/With my ghosts on the stereo". 'Low' is one of three songs penned by Carrie, David Garcia, and Hillary Lindsey. This one is a bluesy country ballad that ain't exactly uplifting: "Like a diamond ring without a stone/Like a guitar without a song/Everything that was right is wrong/Ever since baby you've been gone/I'm so low (2X)/Yeah, I'm low and blue/I'm so lonesome for you".

'Backsliding' is an adult contemporary ballad many folks will be able to relate to: "So why am I at 2am picking up my phone/And you're standin' in my porch light/Backsliding/Wearing your old t-shirt in the morning/It feels so right/Backsliding/Ooh-we say we won't/Ooh-but then we do/Same old thing fallin' right back in/Say it's gonna be the last time/Backsliding (3X)/I'm backsliding". 'Southbound' is a country/pop celebration: "Got the rope swing swinging like a chandelier/Little bit of heaven on the water right here/Don't need much, just a couple of beers and you and me/Gotta love this time of year/Getting Southbound, southbound".

Next up is the pop/R&B ballad, 'That Song That We Used to Make Love To'. It has lyrics that some of Carrie's Christian fans will disapprove of: "That song that we used to make love to (2X)/It kills me, heals me, gets me, thrills me/I know I shouldn't say it/But I just wanna play it/That song that we made love to/That we made love to/I know I'm contradicting everything I said/But I wanna turn it up when I'm lying in this bed/Pull the sheets over my head/Drift off dreaming/Baby, go on, let it take my breath". Danny Rader plays dobro on 'Drinking Alone', which has typical country lyrics: "We should be drinking alone, together/Drowning the pain is better/With somebody else who got problems/We ain't gonna solve 'em/But misery loves company/Tonight all I need is a stranger/Lips with a whiskey chaser/And a corner booth kiss/To make me forget that he's gone/We should be drinking alone/We should be drinking alone, together".

Marc Beeson, Andy Albert, and Allen Shamblin wrote 'The Bullet'. It's a sad, moving country ballad: "Line of limousines leaves one by one/The prayer's been prayed, the hymn's been sung/Black mascara's already run/But the tears keep flowing/You can blame it on hate or blame it on guns/But mamas ain't supposed to bury their sons/Left a hole in her heart and it still ain't done/The bullet keeps on going". Austin Hoke plays cello and Dan Dugmore pedal steel on 'Spinning Bottles', a memorable song about alcoholism: "He's passed out on the bathroom floor/Spinning rooms, spinning wheels, spinning out of control/Spinning bottles (2X)/This ain't a game/Nobody wins/Nobody gets lucky/When that bottle spins/Again and again (3X)".

The album's second single, 'Love Wins', was written by Carrie, David Garcia, and Brett James. It's a great modern country anthem: "I, I believe you and me are sisters and brothers/And I, I believe we're made to be here for each other/We'll never fall if we walk hand in hand/Put a world that seems broken together again/Yeah, I, I believe in the end, love wins.../Love is the answer/Love's an open door/Love is the only thing worth fighting for, yeah". 'End Up With You' is a groovy pop song with a simple message: "All I wanna do is end up with you".

'Kingdom' was written by Carrie, Chris DeStefano, and Dave Barnes. It's a great love song that makes good use of strings: "No, I wouldn't trade a minute/We've come so far/It made us who we are/Right here, right now.../It's church on Sunday, tire swings/Good and the bad times, praying on our knees/Thanking the Lord for this beautiful life/The love we have built will stand the test of time/Oh, this is our kingdom". Last up is the bonus track 'Champion', a pop/dance number with a rap break by Ludacris. This song is all about self-confidence: "I am invincible, unbreakable, unstoppable, unshakeable/They knock me down, I get up again/I am the champion/You're gonna know my name/You can't hurt me now/I can't feel the pain/I was made for this/I was born to win/I am the champion".

CRY PRETTY is comprised of eight country songs, three pop/dance, and two R&B. There are also traces of adult contemporary thrown in. As always, Carrie's vocals are second to none! Nine of the tracks are slow, while four are faster. The main topic explored is loneliness and longing for romantic companionship. Sadness and sorrow are no strangers here. There's a song about grieving a loved one's death, and a song about alcoholism. There are, however, some happier songs as well. 'Southbound' is about letting loose and having a good time, and 'Kingdom' is a celebratory love song. I'm rating CRY PRETTY 100%. There are a few gorgeous photos of Carrie in the CD booklet. For more info visit: www.carrieunderwoodofficial.com.