Tuesday, March 19, 2019

CRYSTAL CLEAR


Jacquelyn 'Jaci' Davette Velasquez was born on October 15, 1979 in Houston, Texas. After releasing two independent projects, in 1996 she released her major label debut, HEAVENLY PLACE which birthed a handful of #1 hits including 'If This World'. Fast forward to 2000 and after putting out two more albums (one Spanish), she released CRYSTAL CLEAR (Word/Epic). It was produced by Mark Heimermann and Rudy Perez, and executive produced by Judith Volz. In the liner notes Jaci writes: "I have had the craziest year of my life personally, spiritually, and musically. God, through all of this, has shown His faithfulness and I thank Him from the bottom of my heart and soul".

Starting things off is 'Esuchame (Listen to Me)', one of two songs penned by Jaci and Mark Heimermann. Horns are used to good effect. George Cocchini plays guitars on this fun sounding Latin pop song of encouragement: "I've got a secret that'll carry you through/There is a God who loves to look after you/Hey little sister/Don't you worry no more/Just come with me, you see/I've been there before". Matt Stanfield and Tiffany Arbuckle (Plumb) wrote 'Crystal Clear', the title track. Lisa Bevill sings backing vocals on this adult contemporary ballad that's a divine love song: "I'm soft like clay/Your hands they mold me/For You, I would run away/Just to hear You calling out my name/Now it's crystal clear/I'm falling for You". 'Everytime I Fall' is a peppy pop/dance number about God's faithfulness: "Time and time again/When I think I've reached the end/It's Your voice I hear, that draws me near/I don't know what makes You stay/When I act this way/No matter what we've been through/I can turn to You".

'You're Not There' is an adult contemporary ballad with strings arranged by the late Tom Howard and performed by Carl Gorodetsky and The Nashville String Machine. This song reminds us God is not distant: "You're not there, way out there/Wandering in Your great unknown/You are here, ever near/In my heart You've found a home/You are living/You are breathing/I can feel Your presence in me". Chris Eaton and Brent Bourgeois wrote 'Adore', a modern worship ballad: "Adore (3X)/Jesus, I adore You/Yes I adore, adore, adore, adore/Jesus, I adore You/And I lay my life before You/Oh, Lord". It's one of Jaci's signature songs and is beautiful.

Next up is 'He's My Savior', which begins with these words of testimony: "He's the sunlight in my sky/He is the moon that shines at night/He's the rainbow over me, the river running to the sea/The music and the poetry, the beauty that my eyes can see/Still His love means so much more to me/He's my Savior and everything within me/Wants to tell the world it's true". Mark Heimermann, Nick Gonzales, Javier Solis, Brad Ford, and Shana Ford wrote 'You Don't Miss A Thing'. Horns are used on this upbeat pop song that reminds us we can't hide anything from God: "You know my motives/You know my heart/No matter what I'm doin'/You see my secrets/Right through the dark/Who do I think I'm foolin'?"

Strings are conducted by Randall Thornton and provided by The Utah Symphony on 'Imagine Me Without You', a tender ballad of testimony: "In my life You're all that matters/In my eyes the only truth I see/When my hopes and dreams have shattered/You're the One that's there for me". Rudy Perez, Judith Volz, and Loren Balman wrote 'Come As You Are'. Chris Rodriguez plays guitars on this adult pop ballad of spiritual invitation: "Come as you are/Don't change a thing/Open your heart/He'll walk right in/Come as you are/No alibis/His love for you will never die". It's a duet with Luis Fonsi. 

'Center of Your Love' finds Jackie Street on bass and Michael Tait on backing vocals. On it, Jaci testifies: "There is nothing I can see that the world can offer me/What could possibly compare/To Your tender, loving care?" Seven backing vocalists including Lisa Cochran and Chris Harris are used on the closing track, 'Just A Prayer Away'. This ballad speaks of intimacy with Christ: "When I close my eyes/Lord, I call Your Name/And the dark subsides/Nothing can take the place/Of the peace I find/You came to save me/To show me that You're just a prayer away".

CRYSTAL CLEAR contains six adult contemporary and five pop songs, with almost an equal number of slow and fast songs. Jaci's vocals are strong and well suited to this material. A main theme is God's personal and loving care for each of us on this planet. Falling in love with and being in love with God are also prevalent topics. In His healing love we are truly free. Our response should be to praise God, live for Him, and to reach out to others with the hope, and salvation, and love that He offers. The pics of Jaci with this CD are beautiful! I'm rating CRYSTAL CLEAR 95%. For more info visit www.jacivelasquez.com and/or connect with her on social media. Fans of Gloria Estefan, Rachael Lampa, and Tammy Trent, should acquire this album.