Wednesday, March 20, 2019

FIGHT THE TIDE


Sanctus Real formed in Toledo, Ohio in 1996. SAY IT LOUD was their major label debut in 2002. They followed this up with 2004's FIGHT THE TIDE (Sparrow). It was produced by Tedd T. and executive produced by Christopher York. It won a Dove Award for 'Modern Rock Album of the Year'. Group members on the album were: Matt Hammitt, Chris Rohman, Mark Graalman, and Steve Goodrum.

'Everything About You' was the album's lead single and stayed at #1 for six weeks. It's a rock song of praise: "Everything about You/It takes my breath away/Hallelujah/I tried this once without You and it was my great mistake/Hallelujah/Questions fade when You invade/You chase all of my fears away/With Your love in my atmosphere/All confusion disappears". 'The Fight Song' was the second single and also hit #1. This pop/rock song seeks reconciliation: "And hey, now what am I to say?/My foolish words got in the way of us being friends/Wake up, make up, can we get along again?/I don't really want to fight over something that's really nothing/It doesn't matter/I don't really want to scar your heart with words that hurt you/I won't hurt you".

'Alone' is an energetic rocker that's a great love song: "Two hearts entwined/Yes, you are mine/And I'll be your's forever/I've done the math, I'm less than half/We're better off together/And I want you here by my side/As much as you are on my mind/When I'm gone you should know/You are not alone". 'Things Like You' is about a new start: "God, I can't be living life for things I know are wrong/Now I think it's time to write a better chapter in my life/Leaving all those things that keep me wrapped so tight".

'Closer' is pop/rock desiring intimacy with the Father: "Like a bird flying south/I'm seeking You out/And there's no rope that can tie me down/I'm running home/I'm a slave set free/You're all I need". 'Change Me' is an adult contemporary ballad that includes these prayerful words: "Would You change me from who I've been lately?/Cause I know I'm nothing without You".

Next up is 'The Show', a pop song that reflects on Acts 2: "Oh, I'd do anything to feel the wind that day/There in the upper room, all in one place/And I'd give anything to hear the sound of the Spirit coming down/And the praises they sang.../And though I've never seen those holy tongues of fire/I feel You in my heart/You inspire me". 'Message' rocks and speaks of our need for each other: "To everyone who's stood alone for doing right/You are the heroes of these dark and desperate times/We can't go solo if we're gonna win this fight/We're only stronger when we're standing side by side".

'Deeds' offers spiritual wisdom: "If you don't have faith you have nothing at all/If you don't have deeds your faith will fall/They can'at be true without each other/You can't have one without the other". 'You Can't Hide' reminds us God is everywhere: "When you think you've escaped/He's right beside you/When you sleep, when you wake/In the midst of your heartbreaks/He is there and He knows".

What follows is 'Where Will They Go', a pleasant pop song about witnessing: "How many lives could be changed if I'd convey/All of the words that I was scared to say?/Show me the way from here/Love, show me the way/When I'm afraid to say the right thing/I'm a stone, frozen in place/I need Your grace to show me how". 'Say Goodbye' is an emotional pop ballad: "And though you're gone, I remember now/The time we shared/Your words still ring out/You're never too far, you're in my heart". After some five minutes of silence, the record closes with an alternate take of 'Everything About You'. It's lighter than the original and sounds more acoustic.

FIGHT THE TIDE is a terrific Christian pop/rock record with a few adult contemporary songs mixed in. Our need for God is a main theme. He can transform us and help us not to chase after the wrong things in life. Our human need for each other, whether it be in friendships or romantic relationships, is pointed out. Also, we are encouraged to witness for Christ and stand up for what's right. I'm recommending this album to fans of Bleach and latter era Audio Adrenaline. It's getting a 96% from me. For more info visit www.sanctusreal.com and/or connect with them on social media.