Sunday, March 31, 2019

THE LETTER


Steve Green was born on August 1, 1956 in Portland, Oregon. He spent a lot of his early life in Argentina as his parents were Baptist missionaries. He spent two years as part of the group Truth (1976-1978). He and his wife Marijean sang backup for the Bill Gaither Trio. In 1980 he became a member of The New Gaither Vocal Band. He also sang lead on White Heart's debut album in 1982. Steve released his self-titled solo debut in 1984. Fast forward to 1996 and he released his eleventh solo effort, THE LETTER (Sparrow). All of the songs on it were produced by Greg Nelson, except 'Teach Me To Love' which was produced by Brown Bannister.

Jon Mohr and Randall Dennis wrote the album opening 'Love One Another'. This adult contemporary anthem features the Kid Connection Choir. It encourages us to be a caring people: "Love one another, take your brother by the hand/The world will watch in wonder/Love will make them understand/Love one another and your love will change the world/Love is always patient/Love is always kind and always gives itself away". Steve and Matt Huesmann co-wrote 'I Will Call on You', a light adult pop song on which Blair Masters plays the B-3 organ. This chorus points to God alone: "I'll call on You, call when I'm in trouble/I will call whenever I despair/I'll call on You, watching and waiting/You alone will answer every prayer/There is no one else I can turn to/I will call on You".

The Nashville String Machine is used on 'All is Well', a praise and worship number: "Peace is a place, a harbor safe/For riding out the storms/For each there's a grace, a strong embrace/The comfort of the Lord/He's ordained the paths we take/What Father would His child forsake?/Emmanuel, God is with us, all is well". 1 Corinthians 3:2-3 was the inspiration for the title track, 'The Letter'. This easy listening song was penned by Michael Card and Phil Naish. Bobby Taylor plays oboe on it and I really like these lyrics: "Day by day I write across the pages of your life/Some sentences of kindness and some paragraphs of light/May they be words of love and words of hope, not words of dark despair/For on your soul the world will read them there".

'Oh Men of God, Arise!' is an inspiring call to spiritual arms: "Lift up the cup of holiness/Drink long and take your fill/Oh men of God arise to carry out, to carry out God's will/Oh men of God arise/Take up your sword and shield/Your foe has no defense against the power they wield/Christ has gained the victory, the outcome is assured/Satan is defeated by the power of God's Word". Steve wrote ''Til the End of Time', while Chris Eaton sings backing vocals on it. It's a beautiful adult contemporary love song: "I will have you and I will hold you until the end of time/And through the changes, life rearranges/I will have you and I will hold you until the end of time".

Larnelle Harris, Steve, and Phil Naish wrote 'Teach Me To Love', an adult contemporary duet with Larnelle. It longs for unity: "Lord, teach me to love/Show me how to care for others/Cause my soul to burn within/For the fellowship of my brother/Only You can break the chains/That have held me for so long/Lord, You're my hope, my only hope/Teach me to love". Steve Fry wrote 'Oh, I Want to Know You More', which dates back to 1983. David Hamilton plays piano and synthesizer on this adult contemporary ballad. It begins with these words of testimony: "Just the time I feel that I've been caught in the mire of self/Just the time I feel my mind's been bought by worldly wealth/That's when the breeze begins to blow/I know the Spirit's call/And all my worldly wanderings just melt into His love".

Indian flute and dobro are used on 'Delighted' which includes these comforting words: "There in the stars or a smile of a child/We glimpse how His joy fills eternity/This is His pleasure to give us Himself, His glory, His heaven, His peace/And soon all confusion will fade from our sight/With wonder we'll dwell in His kingdom of light". Violin and oboe are used on 'No Surprise' which reminds us the Christian life isn't always going to be easy: "He felt the sting of insults and He bore the weight of sin/He humbly drank the suffering God set before Him/And it should arrive as no surprise that tears are gonna come/If you're called by His Name/You're sure to suffer some".

Phil McHugh and Phil Naish wrote 'I Am in God's Hands', an inspirational ballad on which Dan Huff plays guitar. It's the song of one who is spiritually secure: "Evil makes its plans, but my faith still stands/I am in God's hands/In His hands peace comforts my life/In His hands I see a path I can walk through the passage of time". Steve co-wrote 'All Over the World' with David Hamilton. Horns are used on this Latino inspired pop song that shares good news: "All over the world the gospel grows planted in human hearts/All over the world the Father shows the love that's in His heart/And His voice goes out to every part 'til everyone has heard/And the wind of the Spirit brings new life in Christ/All over the world".

THE LETTER clocks in at 50 minutes and 24 seconds, so it is generous. There are six adult contemporary, five inspirational/easy listening, and one pop song. Most of the songs are slow or mid-tempo. Steve's vocals are a pleasure to listen to. God is depicted as faithful and dependable. He is a refuge who calms and satisfies us, giving us peace and joy. We should desire to know Him and abide in Him. Our lives should point to Christ. Through Him we are spiritual victors over Satan and sin. I particularly like the inclusion of the wedding song ''Til the End of Time'. I'm rating THE LETTER 90% and recommending it to fans of Twila Paris and Wayne Watson. For more info visit www.stevegreenministries.org and/or find him on social media.