Wednesday, March 13, 2019

FALLING FORWARD


Margaret Becker was born on July 17, 1959 in Bay Shore, New York. In 1985 she moved to Nashville. She toured with Rick Cua singing backup. She also appeared on Steve Camp`s 1986 record ONE ON ONE. Her debut album was 1987`s NEVER FOR NOTHING. Fast forward to 1998 and she released her eighth studio album, FALLING FORWARD (Sparrow). Producers used on it were Tedd T., Monroe Jones, and Robbie Nevil. Lynn A. Nichols served as executive producer.

Starting things off is 'I Don't Know How'. It is one of four songs penned by Margaret and Robbie Nevill. This adult contemporary ballad features string arrangement by Carl Marsh and cello by John Catchings. It speaks of the importance of faith: "And I don't know how/Anybody goes without something to believe in/I don't know why we do/And I don't know how/Anybody finds their way without something to believe in/I just know I need You". 'Cave It In' is a rock song on which Margaret expresses her desire to be faithful to her Lord: "The wall between us is so thin/Just a cry would break it in/And I, I think I heard You/Wish for a friend who is not sleeping/Somebody who would wait in the garden/Somebody, how I wish it could be me". Margaret and Tonya Leah wrote 'Clay and Water'. George Cocchini and Gary Burnette play electric guitar on this adult contemporary ballad about metamorphosis: "I am clay and I am water/Falling forward in this order/While the world spins 'round so fast/Slowly I'm becoming who I am".

Dave Lichens, formerly of Petra, is one of the co-writers on 'Horses', a pop song on which Margaret reflects on her own mortality: "I need to remember/The horses will come/I need to remember/How quickly they run/I want no regrets/When the horses come for me/I cannot forget/That the horses come for me". 'Deliver Me' is an adult contemporary song that includes this prayerful chorus: "Deliver me from me/And deliver me to You/Come and set me free/Come and find me tried and true/Come on now/Deliver me from me".

Lynn Nichols plays classical guitar on 'Any Kind of Light'. It speaks of God's majesty: "I held You up/My hope against the night/Closed my eyes/I was afraid to see the sight/Took a look/Fell down blind/What did I see? (2X)/Always stunning, always true/Even the stars bow to You". 'Irish Sea' is one of two songs written by Margaret and Tedd T. Margaret and Quinlan sing backing vocals on this adult pop song. It includes these joyful words: "Sweet revelation/Well, I drink it in/It heals my heart like medicine/So, I take this life and I shake it from this sleep/Cause I'm fire/With the heat/Of the newly freed".

Next up is 'Coins and Promises'. It talks of spiritual struggle: "I should know better/I should believe You/But leaves are falling and I am crumbling in brittle pieces/I should remember/How well You warmed me/But I'm standing in the browns and grays of a season's ending". 'Crawl' is an adult contemporary song of spiritual determination: "I'm alright/I know I'm not alone/If I can't walk to You/You know, I'll crawl.../I set my face like a flint to the north/I watch these storms gather and sort/And I sing/I still sing".

'Take Me In' is the only song Margaret wrote alone on this project. Dan Needham plays the djembe (drum) on this quiet ballad. These words are ones of prayer: "Take me by reason/Take me by surprise/Take me by my heart/Or take me by my eyes/Take me, take me, take me/To Your water's rim/Lift me up and take me in". Margaret and Chris Rodriguez sing backing vocals on the closing number, 'I Testify'. It's a rock song of gratitude: "Your blood like gold on the ground/A red river of pain/You took it without a sound/I know You took it in my name/I testify Your love is true/This I know cause I've been moved/I testify/Your love is real/This I know cause I've been healed".

FALLING FORWARD clocks in at 48 minutes and 36 seconds. The main theme is a desire to have an intimate, personal relationship with God. He is faithful to us, has our best interests at heart, and can be trusted. We should desire to have our lives molded by Him. He is majestic, glorious, and loving. The two main musical genres here are adult pop and adult contemporary, with a couple of rock songs thrown in the mix. There are seven slow songs and four fast ones. I'm rating this album 84%. For more info visit www.margaretbecker.com or connect with her on Facebook.