Tuesday, April 02, 2019

THE RIDE


According to Wikipedia.org "Àndy Chrisman, Mark Harris, Marty Magehee, and Kirk Sullivan originally met when they sang together in Truth, a Contemporary Christian vocal group..." In 1990 they released their debut album as 4Him. It was self-titled. Their first single, 'Where There is Faith', stayed at #1 for eight weeks. They went on to be known for such other songs as 'He Never Changes', 'The Basics of Life', and 'A Strange Way to Save the World'. What I'm reviewing here is their fifth studio album, THE RIDE (1994, Benson). It was produced by Don Koch, Michael Omartian, and Peter Wolf, and executive produced by Bill Baumgart.

First up is 'Wings', one of three co-writes between Mark Harris and Don Koch. Everette Harp provides an alto sax solo on this upbeat pop song of ambition: "Give me my wings/I'm ready to fly today/Ready to wave my worries goodbye/Give me my wings/I'm ready to ride away/Ready to leave my troubles behind/What's over my head will soon be under my feet/Give me my wings". Steve Camp, Mark Harris, and Michael Omartian wrote 'The Nature of Love', another upbeat pop song. It reflects on the titular subject and uses horns: "Some will say that it's too old fashioned/That love is just a thing of the past/But I believe that only true compassion remains when nothing else will last/We can't deny when the Lord was crucified/He displayed the very meaning of love".

'For Future Generations' is one of three songs penned by Dave Clark, Mark Harris, and Don Koch. This terrific adult contemporary anthem is about witnessing: "I won't bend and I won't break/I won't water down my faith/I won't compromise in a world of desperation/What has been I cannot change/But for tomorrow and today/I must be a light for future generations". The Christ Church Choir is a nice added touch here. The Nashville String Machine is used on the adult pop song 'Shelter in the Rain'. It's a song of assurance: "Those who patiently wait will never wait in vain/For we know God is faithful/He's a fortress to run into in times of trouble/He'll cover us with the wings of His love/Till we make it through".

Vinnie Colaiuta plays drums on 'Between You and Me', an adult contemporary ballad that offers these words of comfort: "In the midst of those times when the world gets so crazy/And life is too much for me to bear/I can rest in the knowing/That You're all I need to get by/Just as close as a prayer". 'Real Thing' reminds us that we as Christians are on this earth with a mission: "Though there's nothing wrong with thinking about forever by and by/All the while millions are still searching for a light/Maybe it is time we take a look at here and now/Maybe we can change the destiny of a world that's crying out/For the truth we take for granted/Is too often left unsaid".

Next up is 'Ride of Life', a lively pop track about friendship: "This roller coaster ride of life lifts you up and lets you down/This roller coaster ride of life/Spins you round and round and round/Heaven knows wherever you go/I will be right by your side/On this roller coaster/Roller coaster ride of life (2X)". 'As Long as my Heart knows it's You' is a sleepy adult contemporary ballad of spiritual dedication: "Lord, there's no price too high for me to pay/Any struggle that might come my way/I'm willing to go through/Just as long as my heart/As long as my heart knows it's You".

Jeff Silvey and Billy Simon wrote 'What Do I Know' which includes these words of noble pursuit: "There's still so much more of You I long to know/And I won't be content until I do". Last up is 'Love Finds You'. Bruce Gaitch plays guitar on this lovely adult contemporary song that includes these thoughts on death: "It was not what we planned to be/We all would change the ending/If the choice was ours to make/For you left us so suddenly/But it's only the beginning/For eternity awaits/And I'll never forget you my friend/For the brotherhood between us has no end/But while you're away I can dream and suddenly you're there".

THE RIDE consists of six adult contemporary and four adult pop songs. Six are slow, while four are faster. The four men perform great harmonies and solos. It is clear that these men desire intimacy with God. He is a shelter and a refuge for us. Living life to the fullest with optimism and hope should be a goal for us.We should also desire to live godly lives and be lights for Christ in a dark world. We can take great joy in the fact that God's love for us is limitless! I'm rating this record 88% and recommending it to fans of Wayne Watson, and earlier era Backstreet Boys and Point of Grace. For more info connect with the group on Facebook.