Saturday, June 29, 2019

AMPLIFIER


Big Tent Revival formed in Memphis, Tennessee in 1991. In 1995 they released their self-titled major label debut. Fast forward to 1998 and they released AMPLIFIER (Ardent). Producers on the album included John Hampton and Dana Key. It was nominated for a Grammy for 'Best Rock Gospel Album'. Group members were: David Alan, Randy Williams, Steve Wiggins, Spence Smith, and Rick Heil.

The album opens with 'Still Breathing', a strong rock song with a joyful chorus: "I'm still breathing/I wanna live like this air was given to me/I'm still seeing/I want to live like these eyes were given to me/To see the Glory". 'Lovely Mausoleum' is a ballad of spiritual invitation: "Sunrise, open your eyes/When are you gonna see?/New day coming your way/What is it gonna be?/Your choice, your voice/You are in control/Jesus, Jesus/He will make you whole". 'God Made Heaven' is a great rock song calling out to unbelievers: "It might take a lifetime and it might take a minute/If God made Heaven, then He wants you in it/Ever been lonely?/What am I saying?/We've all been lonely/I'm here to tell you/My Lord Jesus/He's the One and only". There's sizzling electric guitar work here".

'Someday (Time and Space)' looks forward to our eternal home: "Someday we're gonna live forever/Someday we're gonna be together/Someday with our Lord in Heaven, I pray". 'Jimmy' is a fun song about a young guy who goes to a big tent revival and is saved: "From the time that he walked in that place/There was a burnin' in his soul/When he heard about Heaven and God's grace/That Jimmy was a holy rollin'". 'Star in the Book of Life' is a rock ballad addressed to a Christian living in sin: "There's a star by your name in the book of life/Angels are watching you all the time/They can't understand why a child of the King/Would be happier living with swine/There's a star in the book of life.../Rise up out of the mire/Know you are God's desire/Come home, baby, please come home".

Next up is the rocker 'Wouldn't it Be Cool'. It's about coming to God: "Your information-investigation/Brings you to your praying knees/The god you made, where is he now?/The Lord Jehovah stands alone/Tonight the prayer you prayed aloud/The Holy Spirit took directly to the throne". 'Psalm 72' is a quiet song that shares positive news: "My Lord will soon be coming down/Like the rain on new mown grass/Showers falling on the thirsty land/The righteous man will flourish in those days/And for as long as the moon runs 'round/Peace will abound". 'What Would Jesus Do?' really became a rally cry for a generation. It's a rock ballad. Here's the chorus: "What would Jesus do walkin' in my shoes/Workin' at my job and goin' to my school?/And I hear people say 'Jesus is the way'/I believe and that is why I'm asking you/What would Jesus do?"

'Ready, Steady, Go' encourages us to: "Give it all to Jesus/Ready, steady, go!" Track #11 is called 'Thanks'. It finds group members reading out album credits and thanking many people who've helped them along the way. Unfortunately, this runs over ten minutes long!/This is followed by four unlisted songs, the first of which is 'Real Thing'. It's a rocker: "I want the real thing (3X)/I want Jesus Christ/Without lies, disguise, and compromise".

'Rivalry' also rocks hard and speaks out against division in the body of Christ: "We're all God's children/We're all God's kids/Love each other like Jesus said". It references other bands including Jars of Clay and Stryper. 'West Memphis Lawyer' is a bluesy rocker that reminds us one day we will each personally face the Lord and give an account of how we lived. Last up is 'Come On People'. It encourages testimony: "Come on people, get out your seat/Listen to me/Tell me are your sins removed?/Does your spirit move?"

If you're a fan of Mark Stuart era Audio Adrenaline and/or of Third Day, you should add this terrific rock album with lots of stellar electric guitar work to your playlist. Several of the songs invite people to come to Jesus and live for Him alone. Other songs encourage Christian unity, celebrate life, and testify to God's goodness. God is a life-changer. I'm rating AMPLIFIER 100%. For more info connect with the group and its members on social media.