Thursday, June 20, 2019

HOLY SOLDIER


Holy Soldier formed in California. In 1990 they released their self-titled debut album via Myrrh and A & M Records. It was produced by David Zaffiro and won a Dove for 'Hard Music Album of the Year'. Group members were: Michael Cutting (guitars), Jamie Cramer (guitars), Steven Patrick (lead vocals), Andy Robbins (bass), and Terry 'The Animal' Russell (drums). What I am reviewing here is a remastered 2019 version of the album. It was released by Roxx Records and executive produced by Bill Bafford. It includes two bonus cuts.

The album opening 'Stranger' won a Dove for 'Hard Music Song of the Year'. It speaks of our Lord's earthly mission: "They didn't understand Him/Though His words were plain to see/Because of this they made a plan to kill Him brutally/He was different, He was heaven-sent/And for this they took His life/But in the end He rose again/His Name was Jesus Christ". 'See No Evil' is a pro-life ballad: "I float inside her womb/Oh mother, I am coming soon/Suddenly fear and dread/When mother says she wants me dead/Oh, how can you do this to me?.../God hears them cry/We hear the lie/And we simply look the other way".

'The Pain Inside of Me' runs over six minutes long. It's a sorrowful song addressed to God: "The days are long, the night's eternity/I think of how it is and how it used to be/When You were here with me/Where are You?/When my tears are falling down/Where are You?/You're not around". 'Cry Out For Love' is a hard rock song longing for God: "I looked around this Tinseltown/It was just make believe/But there's a world within our world/The naked eye can't see/The Spirit of the Ancient One/That was, is, and shall be/His love is ringing in my ears/Crying out to me/Cry out for love/I can't find what I'm looking for/Cry out for love/I got a little, but I need some more".

Next up is the fast paced rocker 'Tear Down the Walls'. It points to Christ as the ultimate Answer: "Run, but there's nowhere to hide/Run, from what you feel inside/Jesus is all we really need/He can release us and set the captives free/He wants to/Tear down the walls (2X)". 'When the Reign Comes Down' waxes apocalyptic: "Desire conceived/In the mind it breeds/Till it's giving birth to sin/Sin brings death/And the wicked won't rest/Will we ever see the end?/When the reign comes down/Death, the beast, the liar/When the reign comes down/They all will burn with fire".

'Lies' tells of a dangerous woman: "She's cold as ice/She burns like fire/Many faces/Oh, but one desire/She leads you in/As you admire, oh, her many graces/She's a silent liar.../The web she weaves is so receptive/But beauty fleeting/Oh, and charm's deceptive/She leads you into the fire/To fan the flames of her desire". 'Eyes of Innocence' is a ballad of reflection: "Remember how we used to laugh and play/All the things we used to say/How come hearts can grow so cold/Just because we grow old?/Things were simple then/Why does it have to end?/Can we be little children again?"

'Love Me' is a rock song serving as a prayer: "I've died inside/Open my eyes/God, are You still there?/I need to know if You still care/Love me, bring me back to You/Love me, hold me close/Show me love that's true/Love me, love me/Don't ever let me down/Love me/Until I come around to You". Last up on the original version of the album is 'We are Young, We are Strong'. It's about spiritual determination: "The winds of change/The likes of which no man can tame/Who will remain to carry on in Jesus' Name?/We are young, we are strong/We are strong/We were sent to carry on".

Two bonus tracks are included on the 2019 re-mastered version of the album. The first is a 60 second radio spot/commercial. The second is 'In the End' which is a good rock ballad of endurance: "We've been enticed by every vice/Blown around like chaff within the wind/But still we follow Jesus Christ/And I hope to see You in the end".

HOLY SOLDIER is a good debut Christian rock album with touches of heavy metal thrown in. I especially like the electric guitar solos throughout. Jesus is clearly shown as the Way, the Truth, and the Life. We are to long for His presence, love, and the innocence He can bring us. There are a couple songs warning against wicked women. There's also an anti-abortion song and one song about the end times. The CD booklet contains numerous great photos of the band. I'm rating this one an 87% and recommending it to fans of Whitecross and King James. For more info connect with the band on social media and/or visit www.roxxproductions.com.