Wednesday, June 26, 2019

PROMISE MAN


Holy Soldier released their self-titled debut album in 1990. It won two Dove Awards including 'Hard Music Album of the Year'. In 1992 their second album, LAST TRAIN, came out. Their final studio album, PROMISE MAN (1995, Forefront) featured a new vocalist, Eric Wayne. The rest of the band was: Michael Cutting (electric and acoustic guitars, mandolin, vocals), Andy Robbins (bass), and Scott Soderstrom (electric and acoustic guitars). It won a Dove for 'Hard Music Album of the Year'. The album was produced by David Zaffiro and executive produced by Dan R. Brock and Eddie DeGarmo.

Starting things off is 'Promise Man', the title track, which won a Dove for 'Hard Music Song of the Year'. It points people to Christ: "There's a promise of peace, a promise of truth/A promise to me, a promise to you/He knows us by name/Like each grain of sand/The Promise Man". There's a great electric guitar solo incorporated. 'Mumbo-Jumbo' is a good rock ballad about looking for meaning in life: "I found Mumbo-Jumbo and I've lost something here/I found Mumbo-Jumbo, make it all disappear/I found Mumbo-Jumbo, somehow Lord, it's not right/I found Mumbo-Jumbo, someone turn on the light".

'My World' speaks of the afterlife: "When heaven and earth collide/One day, hello, goodbye/Across the divide/We take a step, it opens wide". 'Rust' is about grief: "Sitting on a weathered bench in the middle of a park/The names can barely still be read/Where two lovers carved a heart/I wonder where they are today/Are they together still/Or does only one return to trace/The heart that never healed?"

Next up the group pays tribute to Larry Norman by covering his 1970's classic 'Why Don't You Look Into Jesus' in a bluesy manner. It doesn't mince any words: "HIV on Valentine's Day/And you're still looking for the perfect lay.../Shooting junk till you're half insane/A broken needle in your purple vein.../Why don't you look into Jesus, look into Jesus, look into Jesus?/You know He's got the answer". 'Break it Down' serves as a stern warning to us: "The idols we raise/We fall on our knees and praise/Spin us around with a slap in the face/Who's ready to dance/And who's flying 'round by the seat of their pants?"

'Cover Me' rocks. It touches on lust and cries out to God: "The color magazines/They violate my eyes, trying to sell me compromise/A perfect figure on the television screen/Even the dirt looks very clean.../Rain on me, shine on me/Lord, rain on me/Cover me, yeah". 'Grind' sizzles and is a call to action: "Let's do some soul searching, dare to look inside/It's time to lock it down tight/We can strike the match, others will ignite".

Chris Kent plays bass on 'Love Conquers All', an adult contemporary ballad that finds Jesus calling out to a prodigal: "'Come to me, child you're my own', said a voice from out of nowhere/'I'll give you rest, please come home', and suddenly He was there/Love conquers all, it conquers all/Surrender it in His hands/Love conquers all, it conquers all". Last up is 'Sand', a cry for revival: "He holds the mysteries in His hands/He knows our life is but a grain of sand/Oh yeah/Burn, burn inside of me/Bring me to my knees".  

PROMISE MAN is an absolutely terrific album with nine rock tracks and one adult contemporary one! There's an equal number of fast and slow songs. Eric Wayne's deep vocals are well suited to the grunge-rock material presented here. The main message here is that Jesus is the only One who can bring us true meaning in life. We should put our hope in Him. He is trustworthy and can deliver us from Satan and temptation if we only call on Him. We ought to be lights for Christ in a dark world. I'm rating this project 100%. For more info connect with the band and its members on social media.