Saturday, June 15, 2019

PIECES OF A REAL HEART


Sanctus Real formed in Ohio in 1996. In 2002 they released their major label debut, SAY IT LOUD (Sparrow). Fast forward to 2010 and they released PIECES OF A REAL HEART (Sparrow). It was nominated for a Grammy for 'Best Contemporary/Pop Gospel Album' and was also nominated for a Dove Award for 'Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year'. In the CD booklet the band thanks "All our families and friends who have supported us over the years and prayed for us as we've made this record and most of all our loving Savior Jesus Christ who is constantly keeping our hearts alive and making everything new".

Up first is 'Forgiven'. It was the album's first radio single and peaked at #6 on the Hot Christian Songs chart. This adult contemporary ballad is one of testimony: "When I don't fit in and I don't feel like I belong anywhere/When I don't measure up to much in this life/Oh, I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ/'Cause I'm forgiven". 'These Things Take Time' is a pop song with very relatable lyrics: "Hey, we all want to understand why evil lives and good men die/On the way to Heaven the truth unwinds/These things take time (2X)/Yeah, these things take time". 'The Way the World Turns' uses a kids choir and speaks of God as a refuge: "You're the hope of a new sunrise/Breaking over a desperate life/And I keep turning to you/I keep turning to You".

'Lead Me' hit #1 on Billboard's Christian Music chart. It was also nominated for Dove Awards for 'Song of the Year' and 'Pop/Contemporary Song of the Year'. It's a sentimental adult contemporary song that includes these words of a wife speaking to her husband: "Lead me with strong hands/Stand up when I can't/Don't leave me hungry for love/Chasing dreams, but what about us?/Show me you're willing to fight/That I'm still the love of your life/I know we call this our home/But I still feel alone". 'The Redeemer' puts trust in God: "I'm still a dreamer, a believer/Oh, I've lost my faith in so many things/But I still believe in You/Cause You are the answer, the Redeemer/Oh, I've given up on too many things/But I'm not giving up on You/Cause You can make anything new".

Next up is 'Take Over Me', a fast pop/rock song that cries out to God: "I want You to take over me/I want You to take over me/I don't wanna be part of the resistance/I wanna be part of the release/So I want You to take over me". 'I Want to Get Lost' again calls out to God: "I wanna get lost/I wanna get lost in Your arms/I wanna get lost/And lose my way into Your heart/Cause there's so many voices/Telling me how to get lost in this life/So right now I wanna get lost in You/Before I lose myself".

''Til I Get to Know You' is a melodic pop song about God's grace: "Yeah, I was always worried/I was gonna let You down/Oh, it felt like I was standing in between the lost and found/'Til I got to know You, You/I was out of place when You found a way/To break through, it's true/I was just a skeptic 'till I got to know You, You". 'Dear Heart' is a song of reflection: "Heart, you let me down/Chasing love where it can't be found/And heart, we've fallen out/All of your emotions have led me to doubt/Only Jesus can save us now".

'I'll Show You How to Live' tugs at the heart: "I heard the sound of your first breath/A brand new life on your mother's chest/A beating heart, expectant eyes/On the first day of your life/I saw you take your first step/And I watched you run with no regret/To chase your dreams and find true love/And the best is yet to come". Last up is 'Keep My Heart Alive'. It's a quiet ballad that serves as a prayer: "Jesus, keep my heart alive, keep my heart alive/Only You can save me/When my world is breaking right before my eyes/Jesus, keep my heart alive, keep my heart alive/Only You can save me when my hope is fading and I'm losing the fight/And when the world wears me down/You're my lifeline".

PIECES OF A REAL HEART contains seven pop/rock numbers and four adult contemporary selections. There are six fast songs and five slow. God is pointed to as the Answer to life's problems. He is our hope and shelter and is full of love and grace. If we surrender to and put our faith in Him, He forgives us and makes us new. The importance of being a loving husband and father is also expressed here. I'm rating this album 88% and recommending it to fans of Jeremy Camp and Audio Adrenaline. For more info visit www.sanctusreal.com and/or connect with the band on social media.