Monday, June 03, 2019

COME ALIVE


Mark Mitchell Schultz was born on September 16, 1970 in the state of Kansas. He was adopted when he was two weeks old. He released his self-titled debut album in 2000. Fast forward to 2009 and he put out his fifth studio album, COME ALIVE (Word/Curb/Warner Bros.) In the liner notes he shares: "Thank You God for giving me a gift and for filling me with joy when I use it! I love writing songs about You and I hope that it makes You proud". The album was nominated for a Dove for 'Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year'.

'All Has Been Forgiven' is a wonderful pop/rock song that finds God speaking awesome words to us: "All has been forgiven/Every sin is lifted/Let your chains fall away/All has been forgotten/Buried at the bottom of the sea/You are free/And all has been forgiven/And all your guilt, and all your shame/Let it go in Jesus' Name/Lay it all down at His feet". Luke Brown and Missi Hale provide backing vocals. 'Grace Amazing' was written by Mark and MercyMe's Barry Graul and Bart Millard. Shaun Shankel plays keyboards on this song about coming alive spiritually: "Open wide the gates tonight/Jesus, come and flood my life with grace amazing/Now I know in letting go/What it means to be set free by grace amazing/I've been forever changed/I heard You call my name".

Mark co-wrote 'He Is' with Brown Bannister. This adult contemporary number speaks of God's faithfulness: "He lives, He loves/He's always with me/Even when it feels like there is no one holding me/Be still my soul/Through every fear/And every doubt/And every tear I shed/Down every road/I'm not alone/No matter where I am". 'What it Means to Be Loved' is a great story song that uses strings. It includes these loving words: "I wanna give her the world/I wanna be her Dad/I wanna hold her close for as long as I can/And I wanna live every moment until that day comes/I wanna show her what it means to be loved".

Next, we have 'God of Glory'. It includes these prayerful words: "Open up the heavens, Lord, and show Your glory/God of glory, open up the heavens now/Open up the heavens, Lord, and rain down mercy/God of mercy, let Your love come raining down". Mark co-wrote 'Closer than I've Ever Been' with Bernie Herms. Dan Needham plays drums and Joeie Canaday plays bass on this pop/rock song that also is prayerful: "Don't let go until I am closer, closer than I've ever been/Until I find myself in all Your glory/Until I'm weak enough to seek Your strength/Until I know that I am held by mercy/Until I am closer, closer than I've ever been".

The title track, 'Come Alive', is one of two co-writes with Matthew West. It's a melodic pop song that finds God calling out to prodigals: "My love is stronger than your weakest moment/My grace is greater than your worst mistake/No matter where you've been/I'm waiting at the end of every road/So bring your broken heart to me/Lift it up and you will see/That love can make a heart that's barely beating/Come alive, come alive". 'Live Like You're Loved' is one of two songs solely penned by Mark. Paul Moak, Pete Stewart, and Luke Buishas play guitars on this adult contemporary ballad. It finds a parent speaking to their child: "Live like you're loved by the Lord up above/Spread out your wings and never give up/Cause you can do anything/Be who you're meant to be/Always remember to dream and keep your head up/And live like you're loved".

'Father's Eyes' was written by Mark, Ben Glover, and Joy Williams. Blair Masters plays piano and keyboards on it. It begins with these words very relevant today: "Tomorrow she'll be turning seventeen/But somehow now the mirror has become her enemy/Feelin' like she'll never measure up/Feelin' like she'll never be enough/In her Father's eyes/He is taken by her beauty/And captivated by her every time/In her Father's eyes/He is longing just to tell her/She's never been more lovely in her life/If only she could see herself one time/In her Father's eyes". Last up is 'Love Has Come'. It uses the B-3 organ and a choir. It anticipates things to come: "Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess/That God is love and love has come for us all/Every heart set free, every one will see/That God is love and love has come for us all/Oh, and on that day we will stand amazed/At our Savior, God, and King/Just to see the face of amazing grace".

COME ALIVE really is a great album! There is a mix of pop/rock and adult contemporary music presented, with a nice mix of fast and slow songs. A main message on this album is that every individual on earth has great value. Jesus went to the cross for us and God offers us His grace, love, and forgiveness. He pursues us, seeking us out. We should desire an intimate and personal relationship with Him. There are also a couple of good songs here about parental love. Good parents want what's best for their children and encourage them to reach their full potential. Mark Schultz is the cream of the crop when it comes to his generation of artists. I'm rating this project a perfect 100%. For more info visit: www.markschultzmusic.com and/or connect with him on social media.