Thursday, May 16, 2019

CRY HOLY


In 2003 Sonicflood released CRY HOLY (m2 communications). Group members were: Rick Heil (vocals, guitar), Todd Shay (lead guitar), Brett Vargason (drums), David Alan (keyboards), and Tom Michael (bass guitar). Heil shares: "Most of all thank You, Lord, my God, for salvation and healing. You have given me abundant life and perfect peace. Everything I could ever need or want You have given me. All glory to the Lord most high! You alone are worthy of all praise! You are truly the Famous One".

First up is the title track 'Cry Holy' penned by Marc Byrd, Andrew Thompson, and Rick Heil. It's pop praise and worship: "Let the earth rejoice/Singing with one voice/Let the people cry/'Holy, holy, Lord!'/Every creature sing/Praises to the King/All creation cry/'Holy is the Lord'!" 'Shelter' is a pop song about God's faithfulness: "You never change/You stay the same/You are my hope of glory/I will never have to be afraid/Through the course of my time and all my life/You've been my place of shelter/Here beneath Your love I will remain/I will sing that You are my refuge". Joel Houston wrote 'Everyday'. These words speak of making a spiritual commitment: "Everyday, it's You I live for/Everyday, I follow after You/Everyday, I walk with You my Lord".

Next up is the ever popular 'Here I Am to Worship'. This adult contemporary ballad testifies: "Light of the world/You stepped down into darkness/Opened my eyes, let me see/Beauty that made this heart adore You/Hope of a life spent with You". Marc Byrd and Steve Hindalong wrote 'Unconditional', an upbeat pop song that also testifies: "Your peace it floods my soul/It's supernatural/And Your amazing love is unconditional/Your joy it overflows/It's supernatural/And Your love for me is unconditional, unconditional".

'Famous One' is a melodic number. I like these lyrics: "Every eye is watching You/Revealed by nature and miracles/You are beautiful (2X)". Chuck Butler wrote 'Rushing In', an adult contemporary ballad that includes these honest words: "I feel like I've gone astray/Just like a runaway/From the grip of Your love/It's not that I wanted to/It's not like I tried to do it that way/I've found there's no distance too far/That could change who You are/That could turn You away/Your love comes rushing in/Pouring over me".

'God is Great' is an energetic pop praise song: "God is great and His grace fills the earth/Fills the heavens/And Your Name will be praised through all the world/God is great/Sing His praise/All the earth, all the heavens/'Cause we're living for the glory of Your Name". Michael Merritt and Jackie Anderson co-wrote 'I Will Exalt the One', a slow ballad that starts with these very relatable words: "What can I say?/What can I do?/What can I bring to offer You?/There is no gold/No precious pearl/Nothing on earth that compares to You/Lord, here I stand with empty hands". It's very pretty and includes some nice female vocals.

'Satisfied' sounds like a PFR song. It desires God's presence: "How many times I've longed for You/I long for You once more/One moment in Your presence, Lord/Is all I'm asking for/I will seek You till I find You/Just to touch You is what I'm living for". Scott Faircloff and Jenn Thune wrote 'Love of My Life'. It speaks of God's saving power: "Knowing my heart would fail/You made a way for me/You died to set this captive free/In this You've shown Your love/Within my darkest hour".

'Everything to Me' is a love song to God: "You are my cup/You are my bread/You're the spotless Lamb/My truest friend/You are my King/You are my peace/You're the air I breathe/You're everything to me". Last up is 'I Will' written by Rick Heil and Todd Shay. It's a mostly quiet song of worship: "You took the stripes and You took the pain for me/So now I sing a song of hope/I'm free!" It's over six minutes in length.

CRY HOLY is a vibrant, joyful modern praise and worship record. Pop and adult contemporary music blend together to create sounds pleasing to the ears of listeners. There's a good mix of fast and slow songs here. God is lifted up for being Creator, holy, faithful, loving, and our refuge. He loves us so much that He sent His son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins. He alone frees us from sin. It is also clear on this record that Sonicflood desires an intimate, thriving relationship with God. I'm rating CRY HOLY a perfect 100%. For more info connect with the band on Facebook.