Saturday, May 04, 2019

RANSOM


Christian hard rock/heavy metal band Ransom put out their self-titled full length debut on Intense Records back in 1991. Ransom was: Michael Ciado (bass, backing vocals), Lisa Faxon (vocals, backing vocals), Randy Kantor (drums), and Tony Ortiz (guitars, backing vocals). In 2010 Intense Millenium Records released a 20th Anniversary Edition of the album with four bonus tracks. That is what I'm reviewing here.

Starting things off is 'Lasting Love', a hard rocker desiring God's presence in one's life: "Shine down Your love on me/The never ending, lasting love/That brings me to my knees/The time I spend alone with You/Means more than words could ever say/You're all I want/You're all I need". 'Rumors' is about gossips: "What's the story line?/What's the news today?/What rumors air about us this time?/Like a bird of prey/Watching every move you make/Yet they can't see the light of day/You without sin/Cast the first stone". 'Memories of You' is a rock ballad about suicide: "What could have been so wrong to end it all that way?/The questions still arise/We tried to deny/Why did you do what you did?/In our hearts you're still alive/You were too young to die".

What follows is 'Fool That I Am' that speaks of God's great love for us: "He'll never leave or forsake me/His love is everlasting/They say that love must be tough/But fool that I am/Right before my eyes/A love that won't deny me for eternity". 'Break Into Their Darkness' is a headbanger about rescuing someone who is in trouble: "Lost in a world where there's no way out/Silence is your pain/Only shadows of doubt/The only cry heard is in your mind/Those tears that you shed are an act of your own crime/Break into their darkness!"

'Tonight' is a pretty ballad that serves as a prayer: "Each time I hear Your voice/I want to do the things You ask of me/Tonight, tonight/I long to be with You/Tonight, tonight/I long to see You" 'Etched in Stone' is a rock song that confirms God's love: "You tried to be tough/Tried to rough it up/You know you can always/Can always run back to Him/Your name is still etched in stone, in stone/A promise is a promise (2X)".

Next we have 'Fallen Angel', a powerful song about the devil: "Rolled the dice to make it all your own/To be like the Most High/Ambush His throne/Fallen angel/You can't stand against your enemy/The Prince of Peace/Fallen angel/Now You realize His sovereignty/Because of Calvary/Hell beneath is moved to greet you/The coming of their fallen king". 'Your Broken Heart' is a rocker about being stuck in heartache: "Your broken heart/Does it have to be a cold hearted one?/Your broken heart/Does it have to be as hard as stone?/You just can't let it go/Play it in your mind over and over/There you go again".

'I'll Never Leave You' points to God as the ultimate Source of pure love: "Seeking for that one true love/Your desperate search has blinded/What you're really in need of/You're not aware, you can't see/His arms are open wide/Just waiting patiently". Last up on the standard edition of the album is 'When I Die'. It's a quiet song but has these controversial lyrics to some: "When I die and if I find it was all a story/I would not change a thing/Knowing how You changed me".

The standard edition of RANSOM proved that a female, in this case Lisa Faxon, could successfully front a Christian hard rock/metal band. Her vocals and the guitar work here are memorable. There are six fast and five slow songs. The band desires to do God's will and have an intimate relationship with Him on this earth and beyond. God's love for us is shown to be faithful and strong. Satan is shown for what he is-a defeated enemy. There are also tracks about heartache and suicide. As Christians we should reach out to those who are hurting. The 20th Anniversary Cd re-issue of this album includes four bonus tracks, drawing heavily from their 1988 demo ONCE AND FOR ALL. I'm rating this CD 86.5%.