Monday, May 06, 2019

MOMENTS FOR THE HEART-THE VERY BEST OF RAY BOLTZ


Raymond Howard 'Ray' Boltz was born on June 14, 1953 in Muncie, Indiana. In 1992 the compilation album MOMENTS FOR THE HEART-THE VERY BEST OF RAY BOLTZ (Diadem) was released. It includes material from Ray's first five CCM albums that came out from 1986 to 1992.

First up we have 'Thank You', one of seven songs on this project written by Ray and Steve Millikan. This inspirational song was the title track of Boltz's 1988 album and won a Dove for 'Song of the Year' in 1990. It's a touching ballad of gratitude: "Thank you for giving to the Lord/I am a life that was changed/Thank you for giving to the Lord/I am so glad you gave". 'The Altar' was the title track of Ray's 1989 album. This adult contemporary ballad is about getting right with God: "People at the altar are kneeling down to pray/Some are finding mercy/Forgiveness for their sin/Some are fighting battles and they're struggling to win/The time has come to give them to the Lord/That's what this altar is for". 'Here Comes A Miracle' tells of Jesus' ministry on earth: "The lame could walk, the deaf could hear/Blinded eyes could see/And those who had been bound for years/Were suddenly set free/They came in desperation/The hurting and the poor/But when they saw Him through the crowd/They knew what was in store/Here comes a miracle (2X)".

'The Hammer' has a gospel groove to it and includes these powerful words of admission: "I nailed Him there/This Child of peace and mercy/I nailed Him there/I am the guilty man/I nailed Him there/With my sins and my transgressions/I cried 'Oh, my God, now I understand'/When I turned and saw the hammer in my hand!" 'Watch the Lamb' is one of three songs written solely by Ray. It was the title track of his 1986 debut album. It's a terrific Easter story song: "'Daddy, daddy, what have we seen here?/There's so much that we don't understand'/So I took them in my arms, we turned and faced the cross/And then I said/'Dear children, watch the Lamb!'"

'Shepherd Boy' is an adult contemporary ballad drawing inspiration from the story of David: "But when others see a shepherd boy/God may see a king/Even though your life seems filled with ordinary things/In just a moment He can touch you/And everything will change/When others see a shepherd boy/God may see a king". 'Always Be A Child' tells of God's care for us: "I was there the first time that you prayed/And I heard all the promises you made/And when you fell before Me/Crying 'Father, I have sinned'/I picked you up and held you close again".

'Let's Begin Again' comes from 1989's THE ALTAR. It's a pretty duet encouraging marriage commitment: "Let's begin again/Trust in Him and not our feelings/Let's leave the loneliness behind/Take my hand and then/We can find a new beginning/Let's begin again/While there's still time". 'I Will Praise the Lord' was inspired by Paul and Silas' time in jail: "But I will praise the Lord/I will praise the Lord/No matter what tomorrow brings or what it has in store/I know I will praise the Lord".

Next up is 'Feel the Nails', a great sentimental song: "Does He still feel the nails every time I fall?/Does He hear the crowd cry 'Crucify!' again?/Am I causing Him pain?/Then I know I've got to change/I just can't bear the thought of hurting Him". Closing things out is 'Take Up Your Cross' penned by Steve Millikan, Jane Johannson, and Ray. It's got a gospel feel to it and uses a choir. Here's the wonderful chorus: "Take up your cross and follow Jesus/Take up your cross every day/Don't be ashamed to say that you know Him/Count the cost/Then take up your cross and follow Him!" It's the most energetic song on this project.

This 11 song collection is prominently adult contemporary, although a couple of the songs have gospel influences. 10 of the 11 selections are slow ballads. If you like the mellower sounds of Steve Green and Sandi Patty, you'll enjoy this CD. The cross and God's love and healing abilities are central to this project. God sees our true potential. Our response should be to submit to the Lord and follow Him and praise Him daily. For more info visit www.rayboltz.com and/or connect with him on Facebook. I rate this CD 90%.