Thursday, May 23, 2019

THE INVITATION


Meredith Frances Andrews was born on January 19, 1983 in North Carolina. Her debut album was 2005's MESMERIZED. She followed this up with 2008's THE INVITATION (Word/Curb/Warner Bros.). It was produced by Jason Ingram and Rusty Varenkamp and executive produced by Conor Farley. To her audience, Meredith writes: "To you, the invited: May you know the nearness of God as you listen to these songs and come boldly into His presence. He welcomes you in just as you are". The album received a Dove Award nomination for 'Praise & Worship Album of the Year'.

Starting things off is 'You Invite Me In', one of four songs co-written by Meredith and Jason Ingram. It's a beautiful adult contemporary anthem: "You invite me in/Doesn't matter where I've been/Your arms are open wide/There's nothing left to hide/You invite me in/Doesn't matter who I've been/Your arms are open wide/Pulling me to Your side". 'Lift Up Your Head' is a song of spiritual encouragement: "Lift up your head and throw off every chain/Lift up your eyes/To the One who doesn't change/Lift up your hands/The broken He will mend/Lift up your head".

Next up is 'You're Not Alone', one of three songs penned solely by Meredith. This lovely ballad assures us of God's presence in our lives: "You're not alone for I am here/Let me wipe away your every fear/My love, I've never left your side/I have seen you through the darkest night/And I'm the One who's loved you all your life/All of your life". 'Treasure' lifts God up above all others: "My treasure is You/There is no other/My treasure is You/Worth more than gold/Heaven and earth/They have lost their luster/You alone are the treasure that I hold".

'Show Me What it Means' was penned by Meredith, Jason Ingram, and Matt Bronleewe. This upbeat pop song reflects on what God desires of us: "You don't want my perfection/All You ask of me is that I show up broken at Your feet/You don't want my religion/You are looking for devotion that is more than just routine/So show me what it means/To take up my cross and count it all as loss/All for the sake of knowing You". 'Deeper' is a pretty ballad about wanting to be closer to God: "Take me through the desert places/For the chance to see Your face/And take me past the breaking waves/Into the depth of Your embrace".

'The River' begins with these blunt words: "Everyone is broken and in need of a Savior/So He came and was broken for the mocker, for the shamed/Still our eyes are blinded by the culture, by the lies/We can't see that we're filthy, we're fallen, and so dry". 'New Song We Sing' is an upbeat pop number of gratitude: "We who were once so far away/Are brought near by Your blood/The barrier has been destroyed/By Your grace we freely come (2X)".

'Who is Like You' will relate to many of us: "The thought of You is baffling/My mind can't wrap around You/This human cup cannot contain/Heaven's glory flood/Who is like You, Lord?/Who was and is to come". Meredith co-wrote 'Draw Me Nearer' with Michael Farren. It's a worship ballad: "In Your nearness there is healing/What was broken now made whole/Restoration in its fullness/Lasting hope for all who come". Last up is a quiet acoustic version of 'You're Not Alone'.

THE INVITATION is a marvelous album that blends adult contemporary, worship, and pop sounds to good effect. God is depicted as the One who frees, saves, and heals us, if we let Him. His love for us is so very great! He is holy and akin to a precious jewel. Our God will never leave us or forsake us. These songs also invite us to pursue an intimate, personal relationship with God. We should desire to follow Jesus Christ and live for Him. Fans of Natalie Grant, Avalon, and Cheri Keaggy will like this album which I'm giving 100%. For more info visit www.meredithandrews.com and connect with her on social media.